New Area

Charm

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the look of these :)  hoping this helps to give the Silver Hayes area a bit more oomph as it can be so much more as a late night area, it will also hopefully relieve some of the pressure on the naughty corner especially.

20 hours ago, tommywillo said:

I really like the look of these :)  hoping this helps to give the Silver Hayes area a bit more oomph as it can be so much more as a late night area, it will also hopefully relieve some of the pressure on the naughty corner especially.

This, totally. Feel this miss a trick by not having more stuff going on down there after midnight (noise restrictions permitting, of course).

I'm late to the discussion, but I think it's worth mentioning that according to last years map, Saxon markets covers a much, much wider area than is being discussed here

At the southern edge, the Stalls in the Other Stage field backing onto the Railway Line are designated part of Saxon. Then everything that's both north of the Other Stage and west of the Pyramid Stage is included, all the way up to the markets just outside the entrance to the John Peel field and as far out west as the the lock up / markets at the entrance to Bushy.

Edited by incident

This new area sounds really good, if only to take the pressure away from the overly crowded SE corner, but i'd like to see something different happen in silver hayes, to me its not got really any atmosphere unlike the other areas its lacking something special....

26 minutes ago, Fladog said:

This new area sounds really good, if only to take the pressure away from the overly crowded SE corner, but i'd like to see something different happen in silver hayes, to me its not got really any atmosphere unlike the other areas its lacking something special....

It's too sparse. They need more installations and random stuff going on amongst the one areas between the stages, more like the SE corner. 

If this improves the Silver Hayes area that's be great, it's not really worked for me since they made it into the dance village. Feels too much like a thoroughfare, and it feels disconnected from the rest of the festival in a way. 

So much of the late night stuff is oversubscribed, trying to get into anything after the main stages shut last year was a nightmare. SE corner was more rammed than ever, queuing to get in to the corner only to have to queue some more to get into any stage is not the one. In a strange way it kinda doesn't help that so many late stages across the site have pretty big name DJs. It's great on paper, you look down the lineup and it blows your socks off at the prospect of this wonderland of underground music, but then the reality is lots of queuing up and feeling like you're missing out on stuff, which is a proper buzz killer.

Everyone wants to stay up late dancing thought and the solution is definitely to have as many late night venues as possible, so I'm excited to see what they do. I thought they did a pretty good job with the new John Peel field, it had a much better vibe surrounding it in its new home.

Hope someone asked about it in that Guardian questions thingy.

Edited by Junglist1981
your/you're

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Jakkkkobz said:

Is this the big secret? From about 6 months ago? Why they have no Map on the Area part of the website yet? The article has been deleted from Somerset Live.

Could be - reading the site update thread it sounds like they're trying to disuade visitors from giving away secrets and locking down the site earlier than normal

Edit - having said that, didn't she say something about '6 months'?  presumably a new area would be a lot longer in preparation.  Not that there isn't a new area, just that it may not be 'the' secret.

Edited by p.pete

On 1/19/2017 at 9:33 AM, Gnomicide said:

Looking forward to a new late night area playing dance music for a change, just what the festival needs. :unsure:

Agree looks like a hipster's Paradise :blink:

It can't be the big secret. Why would Emily boast about no one having any idea what the secret is, and how she hasn't even hinted it to anyone, when there's a newspaper article on it? 

Edited by fowls