Volunteering with SOS Africa

Doug85

I am hoping that things can be rectified with our jobs so that we can get down their earlier for the monday or to leave early on the tuesday morning and have more time there to see it before it gets full. I live too far away to make the journey down and see it pre festival so to see it the day before with everything in place would be nice. The idea of getting a chance to look at other areas I wouldn't normally go to is also a big plus. Funnily enough I was talking to a few friends last night and they had signed up off someone else's recommendation too but they had less of an idea how of it worked than I did. I really can't wait for this year's festival. How likely is it to meet the eavii when volunteering? Talking about people arriving with wheelie bins I seen a few last year and they also seemed to be regretting it, however the worst one i see was a girl using a massive suitcase- she was basically dragging the case through the mud and it was covered, she was dragging it through massive puddles and it was fabric..... needless to say her clothes couldn't have survived in that!

48 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I am hoping that things can be rectified with our jobs so that we can get down their earlier for the monday or to leave early on the tuesday morning and have more time there to see it before it gets full. I live too far away to make the journey down and see it pre festival so to see it the day before with everything in place would be nice. The idea of getting a chance to look at other areas I wouldn't normally go to is also a big plus. Funnily enough I was talking to a few friends last night and they had signed up off someone else's recommendation too but they had less of an idea how of it worked than I did. I really can't wait for this year's festival. How likely is it to meet the eavii when volunteering? Talking about people arriving with wheelie bins I seen a few last year and they also seemed to be regretting it, however the worst one i see was a girl using a massive suitcase- she was basically dragging the case through the mud and it was covered, she was dragging it through massive puddles and it was fabric..... needless to say her clothes couldn't have survived in that!

Doug, you will get a chance to meet Michael, he usually comes up and speaks to the volunteers at Tom's field. He is also usually at the after party on the Monday. (I think)

Glastoworker is the man to verify this?

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

as always get there as early as you can. I really enjoy the Monday\Tuesday (when not working). Plenty of food places open, it is like the festival is on without the masses. Nearly all Crew bars are open and lovely relaxed atmosphere

2 hours ago, joeltg said:

Doug, you will get a chance to meet Michael, he usually comes up and speaks to the volunteers at Tom's field. He is also usually at the after party on the Monday. (I think)

The Recycling Crew party is Tuesday night, in the Tom's Field bar.

I've worked for Oxfam three times and only found out about the crew bars last time. I know about couple in Shangri La and one in Block 9 I think. One up in the Park. Is there a full list of them anywhere and is there one up near the Acoustic/Kids Field as I usually spend a lot of time up there? This thread has got me giddy again, hopefully should get a place with Oxfam!

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

<whispers> isn't it Thursday?

Our favourite crew bar is actually Arcadia. They're very friendly in there.

Oh bugger, yes, so it is. I always think it's Tuesday because it's the night 'before stuff happens', which I take to be Wednesday... :)

6 hours ago, joeltg said:

Not this time as our crew camp is next to Gate D { Pen Pal Country } - Michael Eavis did drop in last year on the Tuesday as it was the 30th Anniversary of the WBC at Glastonbury so there was a big party - I in fact know him { mainly from the 90's } but it was so busy at the party nearly everyone wanted him in photos and when he escaped and was heading in my direction to have a chat it was just pure sods law I was called up to the Podium by the WBC Chairman and Michael did not hang about for the speech about me so I never got the chance to speak to him - I wanted to find out if he was serious about the move - anyway by the time I was free he had dived in his Landrover and was gone - I do know he does drop into various Crew camps although I did think he was looking very frail so he may be cutting back on this. - the four on 'my right' started the WBC - I tried to join the first year { 1986 } but as I was not a member of the TUC they rejected my application and it took me a few years to find a Authorised Team - had not a clue then I would still be in it now.

WBC-2016-GLASTO.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

Not this time as our crew camp is next to Gate D { Pen Pal Country } - Michael Eavis did drop in last year on the Tuesday as it was the 30th Anniversary of the WBC at Glastonbury so there was a big party - I in fact know him { mainly from the 90's } but it was so busy at the party nearly everyone wanted him in photos and when he escaped and was heading in my direction to have a chat it was just pure sods law I was called up to the Podium by the WBC Chairman and Michael did not hang about for the speech about me so I never got the chance to speak to him - I wanted to find out if he was serious about the move - anyway by the time I was free he had dived in his Landrover and was gone - I do know he does drop into various Crew camps although I did think he was looking very frail so he may be cutting back on this. - the four on 'my right' started the WBC - I tried to join the first year { 1986 } but as I was not a member of the TUC they rejected my application and it took me a few years to find a Authorised Team - had not a clue then I would still be in it now.

WBC-2016-GLASTO.jpg

Glasto-worker thank you for this, an interesting read. I think it''s pretty sensational how many years you have been involved, I salute you for that. 

I think I havs passed you a few times around site before.  

At least if I do arrive late on the Tuesday I shouldn't miss too much. I hope I get a chance to meet the great man himself on the Thursday but if not I'll live with the fact I seen him sing at the end of last years festival! 

Glasto Worker, hats off to you for being involved in this for so long and still want to go work. 

Whereabouts at Arcadia is the crew bar as my memories of there are drunken and bewildered by a huge spider spewing out fire....

4 hours ago, joeltg said:

Glasto-worker thank you for this, an interesting read. I think it''s pretty sensational how many years you have been involved, I salute you for that. 

I think I havs passed you a few times around site before.  

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

At least if I do arrive late on the Tuesday I shouldn't miss too much. I hope I get a chance to meet the great man himself on the Thursday but if not I'll live with the fact I seen him sing at the end of last years festival! 

Glasto Worker, hats off to you for being involved in this for so long and still want to go work. 

Whereabouts at Arcadia is the crew bar as my memories of there are drunken and bewildered by a huge spider spewing out fire....

Thanks very much - There was WBC Volunteers before me but they all either died or were made Managers { so they get paid to work { money that they keep } - they tried to make me a Manager but I refused - as I wanted to remain a Volunteer - I am the longest serving Volunteer still on their books but when I hit my 25th year I was then moved over to the BWTUC Team { BWTUC owns the WBC } and I was able to migrate my Team over so all our earnings goes back to support the WBC - but keeping them afloat means that there is more money for all the good causes they support - its for that reason why I was called as only the founders knew how long I had been a Volunteer for - the place was packed as it was just after Michael Eavis and Melvin Benn { Managing director of Festival Republic } had spoken and I had not a clue I was to be called up - it was so funny when the audience were told and you could see the surprise on their faces because while many people know me not all that many knew I have been with them that long. { they had hired a Video to be made but the guy was filming us and not the audience so he missed it }

Some shots from the Party { you can see they all wanted to stand by Michael } - they were all happy because the drink was free hence why it was so busy - there was 100 sitting outside as we could not get any more tables inside the tent - Emily Eavis had a family problem that night so she could not make it - I think she was born the first year I went to Glastonbury but I have never met her. 

4353_n.jpg9101_n.jpg7663_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does Toms Field get quite Packed? Seems to be the case based on the amount of people volunteering. SOS Africa had 50 last year and 80 this year so numbers are going up so may expect it to be slightly busier this year too. 

Looks like we may be going on the Monday providing there are no changes with work. Gives us a chance to see everything prior to the masses arriving. 

Emails came through today to provide further details. Starting to feel close. 

Tom's does get busy but in no way as busy as any of the public camp sites and the bar and fire pit and showers are great

I am taking 40 this year, we raise money for an advocacy charity and the Samaritans and work in the recycling centre. A rubbish job (he, he) but a good laugh and what we find, a positive pregnancy test for example, is hysterical!

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, stutheblue said:

is there one up near the Acoustic/Kids Field as I usually spend a lot of time up there?

There is indeed. Great Bar. Just keep walking up past Acoustic and top Kids field entrance and it is on your left.

has bands in at night during the festival as well

Edited by fred quimby

On 07/02/2017 at 11:46 PM, Doug85 said:

Does Toms Field get quite Packed? Seems to be the case based on the amount of people volunteering. SOS Africa had 50 last year and 80 this year so numbers are going up so may expect it to be slightly busier this year too. 

Looks like we may be going on the Monday providing there are no changes with work. Gives us a chance to see everything prior to the masses arriving. 

Emails came through today to provide further details. Starting to feel close. 

matt2007  is correct - these Crew sites { where ever they are } are plotted out so its not like camping in public camping - they have a very good idea how many tents there will be -  its all planned out well in advance - in fact if you look though the postings some years people complain that crews end up with far more space then they need -

In all my Years with the WBC I can only recall one year  where there was a Balls up over spaces -  our Crew site ended up being used by other Volunteers { who were not attached to the WBC } - it was a new site that year { think it was 2007 or 2008 } and was next to ' what used to be called West 27 car park - now funny enough I don't go around counting all the tents but I did notice there  was more tents than I was expecting  on whatever day I arrived { I came by car }  - I even mentioned it to the Chairman but he was busy and never bothered to look into it - by the time the penny dropped it was too late - there had been a mix up with Security - as it was right next to a crew car park people were driving in and the first gate they spotted was ours { this is just outside the wall } - they would show their letter and Security was letting them in - the camp site ended up  chock a block with tents - now I cant recall the numbers but lets say ' there should have been 1,200 WBC workers ' what we ended up with was roughly 3,000 bodies -  that will go down in history that one as it was a right pain in the arse - the knock on effect was long queues for the toilets and the crew bar was heaving - Never again - that Security Company lost the contract. Most of the tents you can see - were not supposed to be in that area - just a plain balls up and it will not happen again -

in a normal year they have so many toilets and so many showers and there is no need to rush
 - these days I come by Crew Coach and when all the red tape is sorted out it will drive next to our crew camp and people who have never been before ' race off running with their gear  as if seconds matter ' as  long as its daylight there is no need for any mad rush - we will spread the tents out and then go for a drink and when we hear the next coach has arrived we will then put the tents up when the site is nice and calm { as we know how long the red tape will take } - sure once the tents are up ' the fun can start ' as coach after coach will arrive and these people will be racing for their best spot.

large-mess-tent.thumb.jpg.1180599ff5befec50cb88269de800599.jpgcamp-site.thumb.jpg.8f3f7f8eee641df39676d54c683da6b8.jpg

I have to say that there isn't that much grass in Tom's Field and it's on quite a slope - I wouldn't want to be fitting in anything more than a 3 man late on Thursday. Last year I didn't work and there was far more space in Wicket family camping than there is in Tom's Field.

Some of the charities - Small Steps maybe get to camp in a much better field in front of the farm.<not bitter>