The Variety Bazaar

JoeyT

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

If they were going to announce it as that, I doubt they would do so before resale day as ticket demand would rocket

Although now I say that out loud, ithat would make perfect PR, but be harsh on those trying

Yeah I mean even if we just knew at some point that weekend before the festival was over.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Depends where it is, I think.

Yeah I've been more welcoming to the idea than most but six months until we never have another Glasto again gives me the right heebie jeebies.

Was at Worthy middle of last week. More drainage has been installed in the fields either side of the main drag from Yeoman's Bridge up to the railway line and the 'rough'side of the road from the west end of the RW towards Red Gate is being concreted. Deduce from this what you will.

I'm not sure why everyone is concluding that this year will be the last every Glastonbury Festival. Even the article itself states:

There will be no move until at least 2019. This year's event will remain centred on Worthy Farm, Pilton and the festival will not be staged at all next year and there is no suggestion that it will not return to Pilton from 2020 as Michael Eavis has said he is reluctant to see the event moved permanently.
Read more at http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/glastonbury-festival-will-have-a-new-name-when-it-moves-michael-eavis-has-revealed/story-30064071-detail/story.html#Q5Wzpi5cAM05kcrL.99

had a read through this thread and the article, I agree with Neil - I think he is basically trying to put pressure on his neighbours who give him grief about their land being used.

That being said I best get tickets for this year now one way or the other. I don't want to miss the potential last ever Glastonbury!

I'm the only one of my group willing to volunteer to get a ticket so I might see some of you at Camp Solo next year!

47 minutes ago, nodolphie said:

Glastonbury Festival office registered the domain varietybazaar.co.uk on 06-Oct-2016  (Matter of public record also has the name of the person in the office that registered it but won't post it here)

The name's a blast from the past, if it's the same person I'm thinking of. 

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Well, that's that then. We better make the most of this year. The end is upon us. It's quite clear that emily has no desire to negotiate with the farmers over this. And who can blame her really.

Farewell my friend
My beautiful friend
Farewell

How do you work that out?  Michael's the only one who has ever been talking about a move.  Because he said "I just wonder whether the next generation will want to negotiate with so many people"?  She can speak for herself, and as far as I'm aware she's given no indication that she wants it to be a move.

6 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

had a read through this thread and the article, I agree with Neil - I think he is basically trying to put pressure on his neighbours who give him grief about their land being used.

That being said I best get tickets for this year now one way or the other. I don't want to miss the potential last ever Glastonbury!

I'm the only one of my group willing to volunteer to get a ticket so I might see some of you at Camp Solo next year!

I agree but the way I see it is if the other farmers and owners needing to agree were bothered enough vs the period that it unsettles things for then it wouldn't cause this many issue's. I think this has been on the cards for a while as we've heard about negotiations for a while and it's easy to see is car parking increases the last couple of years alone how difficult it is keeping the price down, on top of that the festival is paying more for some high acts now than it might have in previous years. 

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Emily in damage control!

Yeah I don't think her piece is as proof reading as she'd like it to be.

Heaps a load more pressure on those trying to get a ticket in the resale. Failure to get one could potentially mean that you wouldn't be back at Worthy Farm until at least 2020 and that's a horrible thought, isn't it? I posted it before, but 2017 could well be my last ever Glastonbury Festival so I aim to absorb and appreciate every minute (even more so) this year.

Not sure what to make of it all really though, the name doesn't exactly grab me but I think it's unimportant. It's a long time between now and 2019, plenty more discussions to be had between the Eavis family, local government and land owners, I'm sure we'll hear numerous conflicting stories over the coming months.

4 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

That's very cleverly worded, all its saying is when they move it wont be called Glastonbury. It's not saying that it's not going to end/move. That's my interpretation anyway 

It says that Glastonbury will remain at Worthy Farm.

And that the alternative festival will be called Variety Bazaar.

6 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

My friend just made a good point saying that that tweet is very cleverly worded, all its saying is when they move it wont be called Glastonbury. It's not saying that it's not going to end/move. That's my interpretation anyway 

It says 'it will remain at Worthy Farm' - so I think she is making it clear that it is the will for a festival to continue locally.

However, she obviously can't guarantee its indefinite future with no agreement in place with the farmers yet. Plus it seems quite clear the Variety bazaar isn't even finalised, so she can't mention specifics about fallow years/return to Worthy even if she wanted to

Edited by strummer77

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How do you work that out?  Michael's the only one who has ever been talking about a move.  Because he said "I just wonder whether the next generation will want to negotiate with so many people"?  She can speak for herself, and as far as I'm aware she's given no indication that she wants it to be a move.

When she finally gets full control it makes complete sense that she'd want a clean break from the old festival and to build a new one in her image somewhere else. The old site is a relic of the past. It's not sustainable in its current form. A clean break and a fresh start in a more appropriate location without all this hassle is what will happen, mark my words. Michael is just paving the way for a smooth transition.

4 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

It says that Glastonbury will remain at Worthy Farm.

And that the alternative festival will be called Variety Bazaar.

Yes but she doesn't say if it is actually going to carry on. She could just be saying it's gonna stay there because it's not going to move elsewhere and will end rather than be moved, whilst being replaced with Variety Bazaar in the Midlands.

I may be reading too much into it