The Variety Bazaar

JoeyT

Regarding queries about numbers of permanent staff, the company accounts state festival site employees for the last two fallows were 10 in 2006 then 25 in 2012, it seems highly unlikely that they would employ so many more people in such a short period of time. 
Charm x

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I thought the name was fine and, above all, appropriate for a Glastonbury event. It's the sort of old timey, traditional thing you could see them naming a part of the festival as it is now.

Well quite. What's the point in just trying to replicate the current festival, if the current festival is going to remain?

I would have thought using this opportunity to attract a new demographic would make the most sense.

But what do I know.

Just now, russycarps said:

Well quite. What's the point in just trying to replicate the current festival, if the current festival is going to remain?

I would have thought using this opportunity to attract a new demographic would make the most sense.

But what do I know.

Not a lot if you won't read the interview :P

8 minutes ago, russycarps said:

But what do I know.

Is this still about what it's called? Do you want the new Glastonbury event's name to be an emoji?

37 minutes ago, play it cool said:

A report here speculating that it could be at Cirencester Park. (Apologies if the info has already been posted)

http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/15037600.Could_the_Glastonbury_Festival_be_coming_to_Cirencester_/

Interesting quote

Lord Bathurst said: “The estate is open to all opportunities, but at present has not been approached by Variety Bazaar.

The way the Eavii spoke, it certainly seemed as if some sort of talks had already happened.

I just saw a post about camping off site and got to thinking about how many off site camping sites there are... Also after thinking of this random thought it occurred to wander about the amount of money that they would lose if the festival went north.. Not only them but all the pubs hotels and Shepton mallet who's shop owners must look forward to june/July.... And of course Glastonbury itself.... 

Just a thought.... Does anyone know how many off site camp sites there are nowadays........ 

On this analysis I reckon we might be safe 

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

I just saw a post about camping off site and got to thinking about how many off site camping sites there are... Also after thinking of this random thought it occurred to wander about the amount of money that they would lose if the festival went north.. Not only them but all the pubs hotels and Shepton mallet who's shop owners must look forward to june/July.... And of course Glastonbury itself.... 

Just a thought.... Does anyone know how many off site camp sites there are nowadays........ 

On this analysis I reckon we might be safe 

I can't help with the number of campsites but this (from the festival website) illustrates how much of an impact there is on the local economy:

The figures provided by the Economic Impact Survey jointly funded by Mendip District Council and Glastonbury Festival, carried out by an independent consultancy, indicate that the net value of the 2007 Festival to the Mendip economy was over £35m.  

Clearly there will be a lot of people worried about the festival moving.

1 hour ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

I can't help with the number of campsites but this (from the festival website) illustrates how much of an impact there is on the local economy:

The figures provided by the Economic Impact Survey jointly funded by Mendip District Council and Glastonbury Festival, carried out by an independent consultancy, indicate that the net value of the 2007 Festival to the Mendip economy was over £35m.  

Clearly there will be a lot of people worried about the festival moving.

Cheers old son.. Yea Struth that's a chunk of dollar there and that was ten Years ago.. You could double that now..... Think we'll be OK.. Have to change avatar to

images (5).jpg

15 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

@DeanoL, got any links to those newspaper reports?

Sure, though as people have pointed out, permanent doesn't necessarily mean full time:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/glastonbury-festival-made-just-50p-6619439

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/glastonbury-festival-profits-plummeted-year/story-27967180-detail/story.html

http://routenote.com/blog/glastonbury-festival-2014-made-less-than-50p-per-ticket-as-profits-plummet/

13 hours ago, Charm said:

Regarding queries about numbers of permanent staff, the company accounts state festival site employees for the last two fallows were 10 in 2006 then 25 in 2012, it seems highly unlikely that they would employ so many more people in such a short period of time. 
Charm x

Possibly, but remember 2012 was when Melvin Benn and Festival Republic ceased being involved - I don't know how much support they offered in terms of staffing via FR, and what degree roles needed to be replaced, so it does seem likely the staff numbers would have jumped, by how much it's hard to say. And presumably FR wouldn't have had the same issues with having to lay people off during fallow years as there would be other stuff for them to work on.

On 21/01/2017 at 1:53 AM, eFestivals said:

There were just 2 full time staff about 5 years ago.

I visited the new office (which was only half finished at the time) in 2014, maybe 3-4 months before that year's festival, to discuss doing some work for them. There were a few people there, but I'd say 6-8 at most. As I understand it, the vast majority of workers are hired for the season, and pretty much vanish as soon as the Festival ends. 100 permanent staff would have to include the Farm hands, and even then it's a stretch!

19 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Cheers old son.. Yea Struth that's a chunk of dollar there and that was ten Years ago.. You could double that now..... Think we'll be OK.. Have to change avatar to

images (5).jpg

I think you're right on all counts, though I'd have to say that the land owners who are making excessive demands probably don't give a monkeys about the benefits to their neighbours or the wider local economy. As long as their own pockets are lined they'll be happy enough.

If it hasn't already occurred to them I'm sure someone will shortly be pointing out some simple calculations that show they're better off pegging their charges than risking a more frequent fallow year.

1 hour ago, musky said:

I think you're right on all counts, though I'd have to say that the land owners who are making excessive demands probably don't give a monkeys about the benefits to their neighbours or the wider local economy. As long as their own pockets are lined they'll be happy enough.

If it hasn't already occurred to them I'm sure someone will shortly be pointing out some simple calculations that show they're better off pegging their charges than risking a more frequent fallow year.

Yea this  could be a massive game of poker... 

The landowners are thinking that they have the best hand and Mr E calling there bluff in a winner takes all game and if Mr E loses then the landowners lose and we lose and the country loses the biggest and best festival in the world. 

8 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I've got a feeling VB might happen in 2018.

that makes a bit more sense. 

I'm not entirely sure why a landowner with a big-enough parcel of land to hold a mega-fest would sit around and see millions of quid pass by while waiting for the Eavii to get their shit together.

Likewise, I can't see the same landowner only wanting a fest every five years. I'm thinking that once one Variety Bazaar has happened to show it can work, they'll be others arranged for the arse-end of the summer so that both fests can be held in the same year.

On 22/01/2017 at 3:26 AM, DeanoL said:

Sure, though as people have pointed out, permanent doesn't necessarily mean full time:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/glastonbury-festival-made-just-50p-6619439

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/glastonbury-festival-profits-plummeted-year/story-27967180-detail/story.html

http://routenote.com/blog/glastonbury-festival-2014-made-less-than-50p-per-ticket-as-profits-plummet/

Possibly, but remember 2012 was when Melvin Benn and Festival Republic ceased being involved - I don't know how much support they offered in terms of staffing via FR, and what degree roles needed to be replaced, so it does seem likely the staff numbers would have jumped, by how much it's hard to say. And presumably FR wouldn't have had the same issues with having to lay people off during fallow years as there would be other stuff for them to work on.

Festival republic were being paid around £130k for use of their staff, doubt that would lead to increasing permanent employees to the levels suggested.  

The news articles appear to be quoting company accounts that show employee numbers but not their status, as staff consistently reduce in the fallows it's unlikely they're permanent, in fact there were more employees listed in 2005 than the past couple of years so I suspect these figures have no correlation with permanent staff numbers. 
Charm x

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that makes a bit more sense. 

I'm not entirely sure why a landowner with a big-enough parcel of land to hold a mega-fest would sit around and see millions of quid pass by while waiting for the Eavii to get their shit together.

Likewise, I can't see the same landowner only wanting a fest every five years. I'm thinking that once one Variety Bazaar has happened to show it can work, they'll be others arranged for the arse-end of the summer so that both fests can be held in the same year.

And Emily is a festival organiser/promoter not a farmer. 

She has the experience, crew, contacts and finances to make it all happen.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

Regardless of what happens - worst case GF moves and becomes VB to GF & VB being alternate years (or any combination of splits).

Logistically it makes sense to run a festival every year and as Mr E has stated wherever it is it'll be the same weekend (the one after summer solstice) it'll still be wet more than dry.

The biggest thing is whatever they create it needs to have the same atmosphere as GF or it'll become another TiTP (and we all know what happend to that when they moved it).

5 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Logistically it makes sense to run a festival every year and as Mr E has stated wherever it is it'll be the same weekend (the one after summer solstice) it'll still be wet more than dry.

they've said it'll run on the same weekend, tho they've also said it'll only be in fallow years.

The fallow-years-only bit is nuts, and i can't see that staying if its a success.

And if it runs every year, i can't see it being the same weekend as it will spread the current crew too thinly ... so later in the summer sounds a reasonable assumption if its goig to be every year.