The Variety Bazaar

JoeyT

Ref V-Bazzle has there been any indication of what time of year it'll be held....are we just assuming it will be on Glasto weekend...or are we likely to see GFL take the opportunity to hold it later in the year to improve the chance of good weather?  A washout in the first year a la 2016/2007 could damage future plans/demand/locality etc. and force a rethink - which could play well into the hands of Michael's neighbours....

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Ref V-Bazzle has there been any indication of what time of year it'll be held....are we just assuming it will be on Glasto weekend...or are we likely to see GFL take the opportunity to hold it later in the year to improve the chance of good weather?  A washout in the first year a la 2016/2007 could damage future plans/demand/locality etc. and force a rethink - which could play well into the hands of Michael's neighbours....

my own thoughts are that it'll be towards the end of the summer, so there's the possibility to run both events in the same year.

7 hours ago, eFestivals said:

As far as I'm aware, Glasto have built themselves a 'war chest' of around £5M, after the scare they got when tickets sold slowly in 2007(?). And I'm pretty sure the permanent staff is more like 20 than 100.

I did search it and found a few references to 100 permanent staff in newspaper articles. I was surprised how high it was too.

5 hours ago, russycarps said:

Unless it's a bring your own booze festival - which it cant possibly be - then it'll be just another festival.

I wonder how many people would pack up going to glastonbury if they couldnt drink their own booze freely?

I'm amazed at how many people say they think the festival is the greatest place on earth, but then would stop going if they couldn't take their own booze. I did the festival sober one year, by necessity. It was still great.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

I'm amazed at how many people say they think the festival is the greatest place on earth, but then would stop going if they couldn't take their own booze. I did the festival sober one year, by necessity. It was still great.

It's about the feeling of freedom.  A festival with a perimeter and searches would still be shit if I wasn't drinking.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

8 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

In addition to what Stu said, I suspect a lot of people would simply be priced out of going. I cant begin to imagine how much it would cost to pay bar prices to fuel glastonbury. 

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

In addition to what Stu said, I suspect a lot of people would simply be priced out of going. I cant begin to imagine how much it would cost to pay bar prices to fuel glastonbury. 

Yeah, absolutely.  It's five fucking days paying prices like you're in a city centre.  You don't have to be a raving alcoholic to have to pay absolutely shit loads over the festival if you want to drink the same amount as you usually do. 

28 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Over the course of a day drinking at a rate of a pint an hour the average person will drink roughly 10 pints. That's £250 spread over 5 days. £200 if you stick to cider.

Edited by Hugh Jass

20 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Swindon in the Midlands? Bloody southerners ;)

mostly, swindon gets called 'the west country', which always makes me laugh.

Bristol is about twice as far from London as Swindon, yet Bristol is closer to London than it is Plymouth ... and there's another 80 miles of 'west' beyond Plymouth.

Bloody map amateurs. :P

28 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

From the horse's mouth......

The festival will hopefully be at Worthy in 2019 but plans are being put in place for an alternative site if it is required. The alternative site is just north of Swindon.

:lol:

That only shows what a pigs ear it all is, because the way Michael's said it - twice now - is that VB is going ahead in 2019, but that says something very different.

The more I hear the more it sounds like it's about trying to scare those other Pilton landowners into submission.

Thing is, if that's how I'm hearing it, they will be too. I reckon it's been over-played, and that suggests it won't work out well. :(

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

From the horse's mouth......

The festival will hopefully be at Worthy in 2019 but plans are being put in place for an alternative site if it is required. The alternative site is just north of Swindon.

The Swindon lot are little slugs with no personality 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I did search it and found a few references to 100 permanent staff in newspaper articles. I was surprised how high it was too.

Thing is, permanent doesn't need to mean full time. Part time or seasonal staff can be permanent.

It wouldn't surprise me if they've got 100+ permanent staff.. However I'd be very surprised if there was anywhere near 100 FTE, year round.

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

:lol:

That only shows what a pigs ear it all is, because the way Michael's said it - twice now - is that VB is going ahead in 2019, but that says something very different.

The more I hear the more it sounds like it's about trying to scare those other Pilton landowners into submission.

Thing is, if that's how I'm hearing it, they will be too. I reckon it's been over-played, and that suggests it won't work out well. :(

Yeah, you can't help feeling from this, and a couple of other bits about negotiations that have slipped out over the last few years that the Eavii would be shockingly bad at playing poker. They'd raise you 50 with a deadly look in their eyes, then tell a neighbour exactly what cards they're holding.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

That's kind of my point. You're not even comprehending the idea that you could just not drink if cost is an issue. It'd still be the best place on earth or whatever. Getting pissed isn't compulsory, if you can't enjoy it sober then it's probably not actually as good as you think it is.

Stu is right on the freedom issue - I wouldn't want to see camping and arena separated either. But there are other options there too.