The Variety Bazaar

JoeyT

The impression I always got from all this was that Glastonbury is now so big that they have a set of full time staff working on the festival which is fine but in a fallow year that's nearly two years of staff on the payroll without an event actually running. I got the impression the idea was to create a second event to run in the fallow year which in turn may become annual in itself if it takes off, If the festival becomes unfeasible to maintain at worthy farm this new event made with a more secure deal and getting all the basics right may actually become the main festival. It sounds like Glastonbury will continue but perhaps fallow years may increase the festival will become more irregular before any talk of wrapping it up completely.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this new festival sounds like it aimed at the over 40's 

perfect for me , hopefully they  will have a car park that doesn't have  a hill of death, and maybe golf carts to help you from the car park. Sherpa's would also be useful if golf carts can't be arranged

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"Glastonbury Festival will always be called Glastonbury and remain at Worthy Farm."

Whats ambiguous about that? 

1m people applying to go, huge revenues, one of the Beebs summer TV highlights etc. Its nearly too big to fail now.

It is to those who support and love it, plenty don't, there would be no issue if the land the festival was ran on was all owned by one owner but sadly it's not and far from that, i don't believe it will end anytime soon personally, but they are clearly laying foundations to cover all eventualities, to reduce the loss impact from the fallow year and to have a back up plan should Glastonbury become increasingly more challenging to put on. Being the biggest festival makes them the biggest target, music venues, classic nightclubs, general pubs, ticket touting sites, there are a lot of people being greedy and trying to take their piece of the music industry pie, festivals exploded in the last decade and now some of those events have already gone and even more established festivals are one bad lineup away from the business model falling apart.

Starting to think that 2017 may be the last for me and Mrs P....we have no interest in a festival elsewhere whatever it's called...which means by the time 2020 arrives we'll both be 57.  Have no reason to think we couldn't do another one then but 3 years is plenty of time to grow jaded and/or discover other priorities.....

Better make this one a good one.  Feeling pretty sad really :(

41 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

This reads to me that the historical location of Glastonbury will always be Pilton, with no guarantee of continuity. It is deliberately ambiguous so as not to burn any bridges and reveal that a definitive decision has been made about its future.

yup, that's my take too, with a subtext of a threat of the festival being taken away from those required Pilton landowners if they won't commit to realistic rental prices.

I suspect we won't know whether it will convince landowners to lower their rents until the new festival has been shown to be a success however. Only at that point would it be demonstrated that the Eavii no longer need Pilton and their additional land to run a successful festival event. It occurs to me that by that time though, maybe over two years from now, those landowners may have moved on and reduced their reliance on those annual rents, perhaps developing their land in such a way that they would not be interested or even able to return to the old model... 

20 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Who will blink first then during this brinkmanship? Eavis has to lay on an alternative event to proove that it is possible and profitable to the associate landowners, otherwise they will call his bluff. I would think then that 2018 will remain fallow and 2019 will see the new festival go ahead. The option then remains to run Glasto Fest at Pilton again should the land negotiations become easier in the future. I dont think ME is that concerned anymore about it continuing there however. He wants his farm back for his retirement and has always maintained that the farm is more important than the festival to him

I think this is exactly right. Two things are happening, in my view, that will secure the future of Glastonbury.

First, they need to run a festival during the fallow year. Otherwise the cost of GFL with no income is a risk. I suspect they won't want to run a major festival from a standing start, hence 2019. Thereafter The Variety Bazaar (awful name) becomes the fallow year festival.

At the same time there is a need to get the other landowners back under control. They are used to a fallow year but this makes them sweat the loss of income for two years and should sharpen their thinking.

i think this is more likely than conjecture about the last ever festival this year or shrinking the site.

for me the location is vital the buzz of seeing locations such as Stonehenge and first peek of the tor is a big part of the festival for me. I think its like being a kid and going to the footie with your dad and passing certain local landmarks but who's say the new site wont be the same after a few years!!

I think Emily deserves the chance to have her own festival in her image can you imagine if she tried to change anything after ME passes away all she will get from a percentage of people is your dad wouldn't of done that and that's a massive burden on its own so good luck to her I will still be going.

the only issue with announcing its the last one would be crowd trouble people would want to say bye weather they had a ticket or not and the fence would come down im sure the police would advise not to announce until after.

if this is the last one I will spend my time being thankful for being part of something special not angry that the name and location has changed.

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Not sure if discussed - but would be interesting to see how a move will affect ticket prices.

Isn't the rent paid to current landowners at Worthy relatively low, and they are beginning to demand more - hence the stand off?

If this is the case, then a new venue will likely cost more in rent than they are currently paying. So if they want to keep it to the same magnitude (e.g. number and quality of acts, areas etc) then we could be looking at crossing the £300 barrier for a ticket. 

If it is down to money then I can't help but think a very small increase in ticket price would cover this? I may be being very naive.

With 135,000 tickets sold. Add £10 on for example. This is an additional £1,350,000 which split between 22 land owners is an additional £61k each per year.

Now, I totally get that's a very simple and uneducated way to look at it but a very small price increase can go a long way. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

If it is down to money then I can't help but think a very small increase in ticket price would cover this? I may be being very naive.

With 135,000 tickets sold. Add £10 on for example. This is an additional £1,350,000 which split between 22 land owners is an additional £61k each per year.

Now, I totally get that's a very simple and uneducated way to look at it but a very small price increase can go a long way. 

if this was a five or ten year deal I would agree but where does it stop?? Im sure ME has said he doesn't want to keep raising prices.

1 minute ago, Respectfatfrog said:

if this was a five or ten year deal I would agree but where does it stop?? Im sure ME has said he doesn't want to keep raising prices.

Yeah I agree it would have be a long term negotiation. I guess we just need to see what happens. 

I plan to make sure I get the most out of this year as I was expecting it to be my last anyways. It'll be my third and I believe in trilogies. 

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

has Emily said they'll be further Glastonbury festivals at worthy farm?

Or has Emily only said that Glastonbury Festival will always be at worthy farm?

The first gives a statement of intent of Glastonbury Festival continuing, while the 2nd does not.

She says it 'will remain'. That's suggests there's future Glastonbury festivals or nothing 'remains'.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Sounds to me Eavis is just trying to call the greedy farmers bluff. They're notoriously money hungry. In all parts of the world. 

Couple that with the profits of another Glastonbury Inc organised festival to fund the real one and its all positive. 

That's alarmingly positive for you Nal. Just think how shite the weather will be this year and you'll be glad to see the back of the festival.

3 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Is that the one where she kicks it with her good foot behind her standing leg?

Yeah. Always love seeing it.

calcio-fail-20.gif

That's alarmingly positive for you Nal. Just think how shite the weather will be this year and you'll be glad to see the back of the festival.

I'm a realist. Just calling it like I see it!

Too early to call the weather forecast this year. 

But we all know.

We all know.

Edited by The Nal

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Badminton's a good shout, though with the annual horsey show there in May is it, would there be enough time to prepare for the festival if it was in June (do we know its going to be the same sort of date as the big G yet)?

Can't see it being Badminton, access Is far worse than worthy farm and the site makes Glastonbury look like a desert when it rains, the horsey thing was cancelled a few years ago after far less rain than hit pilton last year.

5 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Can't see it being Badminton, access Is far worse than worthy farm and the site makes Glastonbury look like a desert when it rains, the horsey thing was cancelled a few years ago after far less rain than hit pilton last year.

Fair old point. If it maintains the same time in the year - more than a possibility of rain. Away from the place thats had serious money spent on developing the drainage. Any indication of whether it'll maintain that 3rd week in June spot?