The Variety Bazaar

JoeyT

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of very negative wild speculation going on in here! You people are gonna give internet message boards a bad name. Can't believe that some are actually willing it to fail, and just of the back of the name too! Very odd.

For what it's worth I reckon the name Variety Bazaar might make a lot more sense when viewed through the prism of the Shangri La/Block 9/SE corner crew. They're clearly gonna be involved in a big way from the get go, can't wait to see what they come up with. Just think, all the talent and creativity of Glastonbury poured into a new project with a completely blank canvas. How can you not be at least a little excited about the prospect of that? I definitely am. 

Fingers crossed it's close to Stroud, half of Stroud comes to the festival every year and they'd fully embrace it.

13 minutes ago, Divein said:

i thought they would continue to run Glastonbury every year and then kind of move it somewhere else under a different name on the fallow year to keep the money coming in.

Surely they can't run both at the same time. 

Ah that's the point I was making.. If they find it easier to use the site way way way up north right up there near the north pole then why not just do a northernglsto instead of a southglasto 

I don't think this'll be the last Worthy Farm glasto but I think we're starting to see it come to an end. If they're looking at running 2 festivals, unless the landowner issues gets resolved I can't see them being able to keep Glastonbury as it currently is. Just make the most of it while we still can, glasto's gonna change, time to start doing all those things we said we would but never do

Just catching up with all this. Thoughts:

1. I wonder if GFL should employ somebody simply to monitor what ME says and be standing by with a damage limitation strategy whenever he's said anything?

2. Doesn't ME say something that puts potential land deals in jeopardy every year? At the very least he gets a bit ambiguous at this point in the calendar. He's a savvy chap and I've no doubt this is indeed part of some kind of negotiating pressure.

3. Some people here should cool their jets. Nobody has even hinted that the current festival will move. Giving to the local economy is clearly important to the Eavii so any move outside Somerset would surely be a business decision taken when Glastonbury takes a fallow year. 

4. Any longer term move would need handling very delicately. It wouldn't be revealed via a dodgy interview with some bloke who thinks Worthy Farm hosts the Glastonbury Jazz Festival, ffs. 2018 is a great year to test the waters, perhaps moving to alternate years in the future (although that's complete conjecture on my part).

1 hour ago, Junglist1981 said:

For what it's worth I reckon the name Variety Bazaar might make a lot more sense when viewed through the prism of the Shangri La/Block 9/SE corner crew. They're clearly gonna be involved in a big way from the get go, can't wait to see what they come up with. Just think, all the talent and creativity of Glastonbury poured into a new project with a completely blank canvas. How can you not be at least a little excited about the prospect of that? I definitely am. 

A festival that's nearly as good as Boomtown Fair would be nice! 

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

It's probably a good opportunity to reposition the festival more towards the yoof too. The current festival is dominated by the older generation, with line ups reflecting that. The future of the festival is with the young. The average age at Glastonbury is 40! 

No wonder boomtown is the festival with all the buzz.

Im in my early 20s, last year was my first Glastonbury and if you ask me I think the reason for Glastonburys continued success has been their ability to appeal to an older demographic and to get people to come back year after year. If the festival is mostly teenagers and in a new location it'll be just another Reading which I would have zero interest in, the presence of families and old / young people enjoying it together is part of what makes it special. I don't think the lineups are geared towards older people I think the festival does a pretty good job of catering to all ages.

If they move it to a new location it won't be Glastonbury any more as far as I'm concerned and I seriously doubt id be bothered making the trip over. Id probably buy tickets for Primavera or something instead. Another part of what makes Glastonbury so special is the people who are involved in building the site and all the unique venues, a lot of these people have been doing it for decades and I'm not sure that if the festival gets rebranded and moved all these people would move with it. People have an emotional connection to the location because it's an important part of the legacy of Glastonbury.

Tldr: if the festival moves permanently then Glastonbury as we know it will be dead and I doubt the replacement will be as good.

The way everyone is going on here, you'd have thought none of us has ever been to another festival with nice scenery.

A new location may not have the history, but it may well be beautiful. And with the Glastonbury team, it might be shit hot. Let's wait to see what it's like before deciding we'll never ever go.

From a selfish point of view not having another festival at Worthy Farm until 2020 is okay by me.

Getting married in 2018

Child in 2019

Festival comes back in 2020 :D happy days

Also as it only takes me 20 mins to get to and from Worthy Farm this prospective festival in a different location doesn't appeal to me.

There's not been, for the organisers, many good things about the festival in recent years, right? Death threats and petitions regarding Kanye, the foul, foul mud, traffic problems and negative feedback from last year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if EE and the rest of the team are feeling pretty down about Worthy Farm right now, regardless of any grief with local landowners. 

Hold it on somebody else's property, turn up, do the job, fuck off. No bumping into disgruntled locals in the corner shop, no local farmers feeling entitled to huge reimbursment, no wider public pissing and moaning that it's not what it used to be etc etc.

Edited by Mardy
been, not ben

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The way everyone is going on here, you'd have thought none of us has ever been to another festival with nice scenery.

A new location may not have the history, but it may well be beautiful. And with the Glastonbury team, it might be shit hot. Let's wait to see what it's like before deciding we'll never ever go.

Yep. Did you ever go to rockness? Absolutely breathtaking location. It flops out it's huge throbber and pisses all over worthy farm.

If people refuse to believe the ley line stuff, then there's nothing about the site that cant be replicated elsewhere, apart from the memories it holds.

That being said, the new festival will be shit and I'll never ever go

26 minutes ago, russycarps said:

If people refuse to believe the ley line stuff, then there's nothing about the site that cant be replicated elsewhere, apart from the memories it holds.

I don't believe in any of that old bollocks but the site itself is a great place for a festival. A familiar pop up city. Would be gutted to see it go. 

14 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I wonder - could it be the WOMAD site or is that too close...

I'm not really sure that it's big enough for a full size Glastonbury replacement. A smaller festival, sure.

How about the Badminton estate? Absolutely big enough and they are already used to the logistics of moving large numbers of people around the local road system.

Just now, The Nal said:

I don't believe in any of that old bollocks but the site itself is a great place for a festival. A familiar pop up city. Would be gutted to see it go. 

It's great because it's familiar. When you've only been once or twice and you have no familiarity the site means nothing. Yes the pyramid field is nice because it's a natural amphitheatre but that's about it.

Whatever it is theres something special about it. There must be for it to be going for so long. Theres quite literally a buzz about the place. 

Anyway, lets hope this is another Michael talking shit moment. 

That looks amazing, but how tall are you? Doubt I'd get that same view, being just under 6ft.

Russy watches gigs from helicopters these days. 

Edited by The Nal

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

That looks amazing, but how tall are you? Doubt I'd get that same view, being just under 6ft.

(where is that?)

I'd guess Loch Ness, given his previous comment to me.

BTW, I absolutely love the location at Worthy, and I think it has a lot more than familiarity going for it.  The Tor, obviously the Pyramid field, the way the hills and hedges give each area some character.  But there is a lot of lovely scenery in this country.  I'm sure somewhere else good can be found.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

By the way, do people really believe a load of historical sites all over Europe are somehow joined by ley lines in some sort of mythical spiderweb? 

I don't know.  I mean, I quite like the idea of believing in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy, but I don't actually mix them up with being real.  Ley lines are fun, but surely we all realise they're random lines drawn on a map right? Right??

10 minutes ago, russycarps said:

100% agreed. But there are plenty of places equally/more gorgeous.

Rockness1.jpg 

Is that RocKness fest?Photo taken from the ferris wheel at the top of the hill? If so I've taken a couple of pictures similar to this one too.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't know.  I mean, I quite like the idea of believing in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy, but I don't actually mix them up with being real.  Ley lines are fun, but surely we all realise they're random lines drawn on a map right? Right??

Do you believe in telluric currents?

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

has Emily said they'll be further Glastonbury festivals at worthy farm?

Or has Emily only said that Glastonbury Festival will always be at worthy farm?

The first gives a statement of intent of Glastonbury Festival continuing, while the 2nd does not.

Didn't see what she said until now. Michael talking smack shocker. Nothing to see here.