The Variety Bazaar

JoeyT

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

So is this year the penultimate Glastonbury? 10 days of Glastonbury left, ever. 

nope, the last one with how the stated plans are at the moment.

There's been no mention of one in 2018, as it's probably the case that there's no agreements in place to use the other-owned land for a festival for next year.

Just now, eFestivals said:

nope, the last one with how the stated plans are at the moment.

There's been no mention of one in 2018, as it's probably the case that there's no agreements in place to use the other-owned land for a festival for next year.

This.

Could realistically be the last glastonbury at Worthy farm this year, uncertain times for the festival & the Eavis family.

Hopefully not but the thought fills me with dread.

Ive always thought that the new location was a negotiating tactic, but am beginning to come round to the idea that it may happen.

Interesting that he mentions the "younger generation" might not want to have to deal with 22 farmers. Previously it has always appeared as Michaels idea and Emily comes out to smooth over what has been said. He appears to be placing Emily front and centre with that statement.

He is probably right that a move to new location with new name would sell out in the first year, but I would not rely on the brand association counting for much if the performers arnt up to par. I would be more worried if I was him that he would not be able to attract bands etc at reasonable fees than us punters if festival goes from Glastonbury. It will be seen as just another festival!

20 minutes ago, Anderson19 said:

This.

Could realistically be the last glastonbury at Worthy farm this year, uncertain times for the festival & the Eavis family.

Do you reckon we'd know? If it was a 'put it on the screens on the Sunday night that its the last one' job it'd be emotional

26 minutes ago, The Nal said:

So is this year the penultimate Glastonbury? 10 days of Glastonbury left, ever. 

The fact it is called 'The Glastonbury Festival team present The Variety Bazaar' suggests to me there is still a Glastonbury festival knocking about. Other rumblings in the local press have also said about 'Worthy farm always being its home'.... So I reckon Neil is right about the landowners. 

Might be headed for a two year break though? 

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Or if it is set in stone that 2019 will be at the new site, maybe they'll scrap next year's fallow and class '19 as fallow. Then back to Pilton for 2020. Then if the bazaar was a success, do that every 5 years nd it's always there to threaten the landowners as it could permanently move there if they get greedy

In future I think they are aiming for no 'year off'. They now have just built permanent offices (on Worthy Farm) and more permanent staff. It makes more sense to have something going on all the time for that reason.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Or if it is set in stone that 2019 will be at the new site, maybe they'll scrap next year's fallow and class '19 as fallow. Then back to Pilton for 2020. Then if the bazaar was a success, do that every 5 years nd it's always there to threaten the landowners as it could permanently move there if they get greedy

I suspect they don't have agreements in place with the landowners to be able to do that.

26 minutes ago, nodolphie said:

Glastonbury Festival office registered the domain varietybazaar.co.uk on 06-Oct-2016  (Matter of public record also has the name of the person in the office that registered it but won't post it here)

They registered Variety Bazaar Ltd at Companies House on the 11th January.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Variety Bazaar doesn't exactly roll of the tongue.

What are we going to shorten it to? Vazaar? Bazity? Vajazzle?

Depends where it is, I think.

1 hour ago, Anderson19 said:

This.

Yeah I've been more welcoming to the idea than most but six months until we never have another Glasto again gives me the right heebie jeebies.