Drug Testing

Mezhyp1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly, compared to other festivals with more searching, Glastonbury feels much 'safer'. As a non taker, I've had far far fewer incidents of being hassled by people on drugs at Glasto. I'm never sure whether it's a demographic thing or more self policing at Glastonbury but it's a much nicer atmosphere.

I'm all for open testing with no recrimination.  I don't indulge in most of the various substances that people enjoy, but the idea that it could be made safer, that people could have an insight into what they are really buying and a chance to avoid a nightmare experience on some scam merchant's gear...what is not to like about that?

If you are genuinely concerned, just a google search away and you'll find that home testing kits are inexpensive and reliable.  I test all my acid, just to avoid those nasty research chemicals that unscrupulous sellers sometimes try and pass off as the good stuff.

30 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Oddly, compared to other festivals with more searching, Glastonbury feels much 'safer'. As a non taker, I've had far far fewer incidents of being hassled by people on drugs at Glasto. I'm never sure whether it's a demographic thing or more self policing at Glastonbury but it's a much nicer atmosphere.

I'm convinced it is down to the hardcore up-front security - there's not so much of a market at glasto, most people walk in with their own so the risk-reward ratio for dealers isn't so good and people know what they're taking so don't balls up as much.

Somewhere like BT there's a vast market and it's rife. I had so many approach me I ended up having some quite long chats about it, they weren't bothered about the gate security at all so kinda pointless exercise. Still all very friendly on the whole but the dealers and their guys ... not so much.

1 hour ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Interesting watch, this.

Concrete pills!

I'd love to watch this now, but I've had some of them drug thingies and I couldn't take the video in because my brain is a little too addled to do so. Don't you just love drugs?

I've seen the 'cake' video before. It's a fantastic piece of work. I wonder if they tried it on with other 'celebrities' etc in order to increase their chances of success of success?

I remember chatting to one police officer at Glastonbury on a Saturday night a few years ago.  "What would you be doing if you weren't here?" I asked.

"Handling all the drunks at chucking out time in Frome," he replied.  "It's much easier dealing with a field of stoned-out hippies. They're far less trouble."

16 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I recall the officer you mention, but thought 'she' was a 'he'. I also thought their user name was CCC Cheese. I could be wrong on the later too though. Shame she isn't about any longer as I used to have nice discussions with her via the PM system.

Pretty sure this is she....    Eden....  Edam......  CCC Cheese   :D  (I should be a detective :)  )

https://www.glastonburypolice.co.uk/2016/05/introducing-our-glastonbury-line-up-for-2016/

Did some quick work on google (while avoiding my actual work)

Bristol Post did a FOI request into Avon and Somerset police for their crime stats at the festival in 2015. Arrests for drug offences 54 in 2015, which seized 1639g of cannabis. That's compared to 125 drug arrests in 2010, seizing 7600g of cannabis 

Crime in general is down from 453 in 2013 to 236 in 2015

1 minute ago, Honeybane said:

If caught on entry to Glasto w drugs? (A class) for personal consumption do they turn you away and ban your entry? Or just conviscate? 

Generally tell you off and let you in, or possible caution and then let you in. V rare to be refused entry. If it is a small amount for personal consumption it would be exceedingly poor skills to let 'them' find it.

Having said that, I've never entered through the pedestrian gates.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Some will confiscate and let you in. And then sell them later on that night to someone else!

That sounds about right for ' certain Security Companies '

I know one Security Company ' who are still on the scene so I will not name them ' who used to be major suppliers

They would take ' pre event orders ' and any confiscation's they used to sell at a lower price. { If They Liked You }

Now as to if it was officially sanctioned by the owners I am not getting into that one all I know is if any of my friends was after something I would point them in the right direction and they were happy.

sure its ' worker to worker ' so I am not advising anyone to walk up to someone they don't know and chance their arm.

Edited by glasto-worker

23 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

If you tent you only have to go in once.  If you are in the CV Fields you have to queue to go in every day.  Separate to the queues to show your ticket and check your passout they have a couple of tables doing random bag searches.

I assume they could implement random searches at the general entrance too but, given all the gear people have loaded on trollies, it would take forever and they wouldn't put people in the best of moods if they then have to re-pack and re-load their trollies.

They do this though, don't they? It's just with the sheer number of people they can't search many.

17 hours ago, frostypaw said:

I'm convinced it is down to the hardcore up-front security - there's not so much of a market at glasto, most people walk in with their own so the risk-reward ratio for dealers isn't so good and people know what they're taking so don't balls up as much.

Somewhere like BT there's a vast market and it's rife. I had so many approach me I ended up having some quite long chats about it, they weren't bothered about the gate security at all so kinda pointless exercise. Still all very friendly on the whole but the dealers and their guys ... not so much.

Testing being available seems like it would make it more attractive for (legit) dealers? I'm sure there must be plenty who take their own stuff that would happily pay a bit more to remove the stress of getting it through the gate, if they could be sure what they were taking inside?

8 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Pretty sure this is she....    Eden....  Edam......  CCC Cheese   :D  (I should be a detective :)  )

https://www.glastonburypolice.co.uk/2016/05/introducing-our-glastonbury-line-up-for-2016/

The quotes on that article are utterly cringe worthy:

What are you Glastonbury highlights? 4 young men telling me that they had just been high as a kite and had enjoyed a really good time on some Ecstasy tablets we had found. They turned out to be Plaster of Paris which just goes to show you don’t need drugs to have a good time!!!

24 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Be interesting to see how glastonburys black list system works for people caught selling drugs and etc. Do they turn you away at the gate or is your registration terminated? 

I'd imagine the majority of people whose intention is to go and sell drugs aren't travelling in on a normal ticket or by normal means 

1 hour ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I'd imagine the majority of people whose intention is to go and sell drugs aren't travelling in on a normal ticket or by normal means 

How about for thieves or general wrong doers? Surely there's a black list. If so how does it work? On entry or registrations?

16 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

How about for thieves or general wrong doers? Surely there's a black list. If so how does it work? On entry or registrations?

I know several crew who have come a bit of a cropper selling drugs. None have been banned.

Also know of two people, one about 10 years ago and the other about 14 years ago who were busted selling alcohol.. they were both banned.

16 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I know several crew who have come a bit of a cropper selling drugs. None have been banned.

Also know of two people, one about 10 years ago and the other about 14 years ago who were busted selling alcohol.. they were both banned.

Oh I see.

was just wondering the rationale really, I can't see how they would ban someone from entering. Surely people would apply under a different name? Would be impossible to formally ban in my opinion. Not like people on the gates have a black list and look for names. Must be so hard

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Testing being available seems like it would make it more attractive for (legit) dealers? I'm sure there must be plenty who take their own stuff that would happily pay a bit more to remove the stress of getting it through the gate, if they could be sure what they were taking inside?

Can only be sure after you've parted with your cash though so I suspect not that big a factor, but isn't a more honest market a boon to everyone anyway? Fewer people getting hurt, money going to less dodgy types.... all win.

Harm reduction is the order of the day, just making things awkward for people or pushing them into unsafe situations isn't working.

Emailed both the festival and all email addresses I could find for The Loop.

Festival replied to say that "all proposals need to be sent to x@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk and include the specific area of interest."

Which says to me that they have not been approached by The Loop as yet.

There was no repsonse from anyone at The Loop however their Twitter feed had an update a couple of days ago saying:

"We will make announcements as each festival is confirmed. We anticipate being at many more this year & are limited only by time & resources!"