Blow up bed V Camp bed

matt2007

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/01/2017 at 9:05 AM, frankfoil said:

i got 3 of these last year for my first glasto...i was well impressed...i think the "no bars" across the bottom is the clincher....almost like a tight hammock on a frame...loads going second hand on gumtree ..

CampBed2.jpg

I took this bed last year as I was sharing my tent and likes the look of storage underneath, but it weighed as much as my tent!! My hands were in bits after getting to camp! 

On 3/1/2017 at 0:13 PM, Sweet_pea said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent (and not weighing nearly 10kg) double self inflating mattress?

I thought the Thermarest ones came in a double size but looks like I would have to buy two and link them.

I can't make any specific recommendations but the Vango Adventure DLX5 on Amazon gets 127 5 start ratings over a spread of 179 people that bothered to rate it on Amazon. I'd post the link but my copy and paste function has stopped working. There's a fair bit of choice on double self inflating mattresses on Amazon, so maybe have a look there. You could choose one and then see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

By the way - after you have rolled out a self inflating mattress you can blow further air in to the nozzle and it gives you a few extra millimetres of depth which really does make a difference. :)

On 01/03/2017 at 0:13 PM, Sweet_pea said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent (and not weighing nearly 10kg) double self inflating mattress?

I thought the Thermarest ones came in a double size but looks like I would have to buy two and link them.

Doubles are an absolute bugger to fold up and roll when you leave - far easier to deal with two singles IMO.

Has anyone purchased an airbed at the festival from one of the camping stalls ?

Any idea of the price of a single and a double ?

Or do you know the name of the company that run the camping shops at the festival ?

I'll contact them directly for a price.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, ryaner77 said:

Or do you know the name of the company that run the camping shops at the festival ?

Thanks

There's several stalls around the site, run by at least 3 different companies. One of them is Cosy Camper, and they list all the prices etc online and also operate an "order and collect" service - the other stalls aren't online to the best of my knowledge but prices are likely to be very similar, give or take a quid or with slightly different models.

14 hours ago, ryaner77 said:

Thanks

I brought a double a few years ago from one of the stalls after leaving the cap for ours at home. Think it was £25 inflated.

in relation to OP, I used a 5cm think self inflating maye last year mat from Aldi. After years on a mattress. Was a lot more commfortable because I wasn't rolling around. And it was wider than the mat.

plus with it easier to carry and I won't be going back to the mattress.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, BluePaul said:

Doubles are an absolute bugger to fold up and roll when you leave - far easier to deal with two singles IMO.

Agreed. We took it to Portugal for Boom and wrestling with that in the heat was soul destroying.

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:14 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I can't make any specific recommendations but the Vango Adventure DLX5 on Amazon gets 127 5 start ratings over a spread of 179 people that bothered to rate it on Amazon. I'd post the link but my copy and paste function has stopped working. There's a fair bit of choice on double self inflating mattresses on Amazon, so maybe have a look there. You could choose one and then see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

By the way - after you have rolled out a self inflating mattress you can blow further air in to the nozzle and it gives you a few extra millimetres of depth which really does make a difference. :)

Thanks Yog. Will have a look at that.

I had a 'cheap' one for last year (cost £55). Was SO heavy and only lasted for Glastonbury and Boom before it failed.

On 16/01/2017 at 10:58 AM, matt2007 said:

Thinking of trying  camp bed rather than blow up matress this year - any thoughts or recommendations?

Not sure if you've bought one or not now, but I got this one here. It's super small and lightweight, plus waterproof. I tried it out and with a sleeping bag on it, it's pretty darn comfortable. Could always buy an extra sheet/blanket when you're there for a bit of extra comford

On 17/01/2017 at 1:26 AM, Madyokel said:

Blow up bed.. mind you ive been known to sleep next to it not on it.

and Mr Grumpyhack after meeting you i understand your picture icon..alarming ;)

I've actually got a little cuddly toy of my avatar which was given to me by a learner at the end of a course.  I was touched that he had the beard and my real name, Pete.  But he was a bit of a Del Boy, who bought and sold things on the markets.  He'd bought a box of 2,000 little cuddly men but when he got home and opened the box he found they were all called Pete.  So he then had the job of finding 2,000 guys called Pete and mine was the first one he offloaded. Since then little cuddly Pete comes with me on all of my courses and sits in a special tray at the front.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, EZYSEY said:

Need to get a new bed for this year. We are getting the coach so looking for something that packs down small and is also lightweight. Any recommendations? 

I prefer camp beds, much more comfy. quite heavy (then again so are blow ups).

Fancy one of these - they look great. First one seriously pricey, second and third ones cheaper Chinese clones. Worth a go?

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Thermarest-2016-LuxuryLite-Ultralite-Cot.html?gclid=COmYyv-zrtMCFRGdGwodDFEBBA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRS-Outdoor-Folding-Picnic-Cot-Aluminium-Alloy-Bed-Portable-Camping-Lounger-/201851503934?hash=item2eff49853e:g:4A4AAOSwawpXsrTl

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180-58-10CM-Portable-Bed-Outdoor-Camping-Bed-Folding-Stretcher-Light-Weight-/222292779257?hash=item33c1aea0f9:g:QTAAAOSwHMJYDWhU

Edited by semmtexx

19 hours ago, EZYSEY said:

Need to get a new bed for this year. We are getting the coach so looking for something that packs down small and is also lightweight. Any recommendations? 

Got ourselves a couple of These they weigh 700g and are absolutely brilliant. Service was Amazon international was top notch they arrived in about two weeks from the USA and I paid about £50 each for them (wait for a good offer). Other than that if you're using public transport wait until you are at the festival and buy mattress there, reserve at cosy camper and job done

20 hours ago, semmtexx said:

I like the look of these. £30 is about my budget as i'll need to get one for the mrs as well. 

Was looking at these for the blow up option. Anyone used the 10cm versions of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andes-Explora-Inflating-Camping-Mattress/dp/B06XQ27ZPZ/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1492604370&sr=1-4&keywords=10cm%2Bself%2Binflating%2Bmat&th=1

1 hour ago, EZYSEY said:

I like the look of these. £30 is about my budget as i'll need to get one for the mrs as well. 

Was looking at these for the blow up option. Anyone used the 10cm versions of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andes-Explora-Inflating-Camping-Mattress/dp/B06XQ27ZPZ/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1492604370&sr=1-4&keywords=10cm%2Bself%2Binflating%2Bmat&th=1

You may be best trying the Vango instead as a reputable brand Decathlon

should be fine

I had one of these last year. lasted me Glastonbury & 1 day in Portugal. After the first night it never held air for long, Might have just got a duff one but looking at other options for this year.

1 hour ago, sweetsounding said:

You may be best trying the Vango instead as a reputable brand Decathlon

should be fine

Quite heavy might look at 2 singles then the mrs can buy/carry her own. :)

Anyone used one of these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRS-Outdoor-Folding-Picnic-Cot-Aluminium-Alloy-Bed-Portable-Camping-Lounger-/201851503934?hash=item2eff49853e:g:4A4AAOSwawpXsrTl

Yep - see my post at the bottom of Page 1 of this thread - the Amazon reviews might also be helpful.