Blow up bed V Camp bed

matt2007

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a cheap Camp Bed - this one to be exact and would never go back to using an Air Bed.

For me, it's just much more stable and comfortable, no risk of deflating during the night, far enough off the ground that there's no bumps etc.

For what it's worth, I tend to sleep on my side and relatively straight, so the relatively narrowness isn't that big a deal to me. But your mileage may vary.

It does weigh a shade more than a typical air bed but the difference isn't as big as you'd expect it to be.

The last time I slept on a camp bed (there's got to be a joke in there somwhere about the bed actually being as camp as Christmas) it was as a small child. Even then I thought it like some sort of medieval torture instrument. I'd be very reluctant to use one over a blow up mattress. I'm actually going to use a self inflating mattress if I go to Glastonbury this year.

@Tartan_Glasto - I think the quality of these beds can vary significantly. I bought some cheap ones and they were, indeed shite. Then I bought some more expensive ones and they were much much better. Then they became better again when I learnt that you could blow in to the nozzle and pump them up greater than the self inflation would achieve. Maybe you should try it out with your existing self inflating mattress before you rule it out? Just a thought.

Double sized blow up airbed with a double sleeping bag and a double liner sheet - even though I sleep on my own at festivals I like to be able to stretch my legs.

Now I caravan it's just the double sleeping bag and liner sheet.

Every bit as important is a decent pillow or two.  Well worth taking.

14 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The last time I slept on a camp bed (there's got to be a joke in there somwhere about the bed actually being as camp as Christmas) it was as a small child. Even then I thought it like some sort of medieval torture instrument. I'd be very reluctant to use one over a blow up mattress. I'm actually going to use a self inflating mattress if I go to Glastonbury this year.

@Tartan_Glasto - I think the quality of these beds can vary significantly. I bought some cheap ones and they were, indeed shite. Then I bought some more expensive ones and they were much much better. Then they became better again when I learnt that you could blow in to the nozzle and pump them up greater than the self inflation would achieve. Maybe you should try it out with your existing self inflating mattress before you rule it out? Just a thought.

Yeah I manually blew some extra air into it but was still not great. 

This is the one I had  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZJX7OI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure if mine was just a particularly rubbish one. I went for it purely because it seemed the lighter option to taking an actual airbed. Travelling on train from Glasgow I was looking to be a light as possible.

25 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yeah, the better ones that I bought were still acceptably light, but they were bulkier than the poorer quality ones so maybe not so good if travelling from Glasgow on public transport.

Yeah it's a bit of a bitch. So try to get everything I can attached to my rucksack so the only other thing I have to carry is my tent.

12 hours ago, frankfoil said:

i got 3 of these last year for my first glasto...i was well impressed...i think the "no bars" across the bottom is the clincher....almost like a tight hammock on a frame...loads going second hand on gumtree ..

CampBed2.jpg

Where can you get these old son... 

Seen these 

If you want to pick them up from me I'll bid for them.. If I win.... don't need them so would want at least 3 people.. Let me know yea . G

Silly bugger that I am I forgot to add picture thing up and it's to late now.. Never mind the same thought was there.... 

Edited by guypjfreak

the metal framed camp bed is excellent - however very bulky and heavy to carry in comparison to air bed.  The main plus I found with the camp bed was warmth - due to being so high off the ground however I slept like a baby on my air bed last year - chose a flocked one and put a blanket over it and it was cushty! Definitely avoid self inflaters imo!!

We take aerobed inflatable mattresses, done the last 7 glastonburys and still going strong. A tad pricy but you get what you pay for I reckon.

Less distance to fall using a mattress compared with a camp bed :)

Offer on here http://www.leisureoutlet.com/airbeds/sleeping/camping-and-outdoors/2548-aerobed-outdoor-active-single-airbed?gclid=CNm8hsT85NECFRVuGwodd3kM3A

Edited by oneeye

Bought one of these bad boys last week and gave it a trial run today.  It's a snide copy of a hugely expensive Thermarest bed.  And it is remarkably comfortable and - key point - incredibly light and easy to carry.  With a self-inflating mat on top, a self inflating pillow and a half decent sleeping bag, I'll be snug as a bug in a rug.  Or at least as a slightly portly granddad on a camp bed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I334ER0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1