Truck 2017

McCor

Got back from this last night.  Had an okay time.  The rain kinda spoilt it for me.  Last time I came was in 2012 and it has grown a lot since then.  Seems to have quite a younger crowd than I can remember from last time.  Didnt get too much sleep due to the 'ketamine kids'  camped behind me who stayed awake all night and were openly dealing.  Didn't see much of a security presence in the campsites apart from the entrances.  Biggest moan was obviously the 3 hour queue to get in on Friday.  They need to think about having some sort of early bird on a Thursday which will lessen the crowds all trying to get camped and in the arena for bands starting at 12pm.  

Really enjoyed Wombats, Libertines, VANT, Moonlandingz and Slotface.  Missed Bigmoon on Friday due to the queue to get in which was gutting,  Hinds were also good but had to find shelter from the downpour.  

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that was our last Truck. We still managed to take our own beers in (not sure if anyone was checking from campsite but from campervan field we just walked in with a rucksack full) but still spent a fortune on drinks, worse was when you weren't near a bar with draft as the prices for cans were worse. This festival has just turned into a money rinsing opportunity. I'm pretty sure the portaloo toilet paper budget was a tenner because I never saw any all weekend...similarly never saw anyone cleaning the toilets. Basic stuff for a festival. Will be trying elsewhere next year. 

I've just finished my post-festival bath. So nice after that exhausting mud.

Re above post:

There were moderate checks for booze from the campsite. Security were checking people but quite a few got them through anyway. Charging £5 or £5.50 for a pint was a lot though. Only beer I bought was from the hobgoblin van (£4.50).

I thought the toilets were fairly well kept. Never saw one that was seriously dirty and toilet paper was in every one I went in. 

Had a great weekend, the mud got our Monday volunteering shift cancelled so not complaining about that one bit. Thought Franz were a bit disappointing with all the new stuff filling up the set, and the Libertines were utterly dreadful (seriously far below the level of basic competence you'd expect from a band like that), but the Vaccines really smashed it despite me not necessarily being a big fan of theirs. Gold star for Get Inuit for putting on the best set of the weekend to a small but very enthusiastic crowd in the Barn (such a cool stage!), hope that band takes off in a big way soon because they're phenomenal. Whether I'd rush back depends on the line up as I don't think there's much that's particularly special about the festival but I did find it had a nice atmosphere and enjoyed myself a lot.

I do imagine the queues were very frustrating, though being in staff we thankfully came in on the Thursday so dodged them. Agree that they should open up general on Thursday in some form, seems common sense for a festival reaching this size.

Really enjoyed the Vaccines set, and British Sea Power were my other highlight. Did see some smaller bands in the Nest and vets and virgins which were really good too. I didn't do as much stage wandering as I normally would because I just couldn't be bothered slapping through the mud!

'Security and staff levels definitely need to be increased; there was very little security presence in the campsites and barely any staff around on the Monday to direct traffic. I also definitely back the idea of a Thursday early bird, getting in this year was a nightmare. I would also be happy if you booked smaller, more niche acts for headliners and reduced the capacity a bit; the infrastructure felt as if it struggled with the sheer amount of people coming in and out of the arena. Furthermore, I think the curation of the weekend could do with a bit more variety; a few more leftfield bookings (Spiritualized, Mew, Savages, Roots Manuva, etc.) would definitely not go a miss. The vibe also felt very different to the last time I attended three years ago; it felt a lot less family friendly to be completely honest. I still had a great time and the festival still felt a damn sight friendlier than Reading, however I didn't recognise the festival I attended a few years ago. Reduce the capacity a bit, increase security, book some more out-there bands, make the event feel a bit more communal again. Don't try and become Reading. One Reading is already bad enough.'

Overall I still had a great weekend, but there is still a lot of room for improvement

With the Sunday of Y-Not being cancelled and Truck seemingly losing its original vibe it does seem that Broadwick Live are making a mess of things. The worry is of course that if they lose money / reputation through cancelling the final day of Y-Not what effects it will have on their other festivals long term.