Blisters and boots!

poppyh24

14 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Wear two sets of socks. Put thin socks on first and then cover these with a thicker pair of socks. Apparently it reduces friction on the feet.

This, this and only this.  I just use 2 pairs of cheapie primark socks, never had a single blister in many years of festivals.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I always wear shoes and boots around the house for a few days before venturing outside in them.  

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

And best way to break them in is to wear them for short intervals at first. I tend to wear them round the house for half hour or so for atcouple of days. Then do a short walk. 

In only boots and socks? Phwoar. 

Say it's so.

As others have said, two pairs of socks (one thin liner, one thick walking), PLUS plenty of supplies of Compeed blister plasters. Apply them AS SOON AS you feel a hot/sore spot literally anywhere on your foot. 

I'm a hard core trekker (Everest Base Camp, Annapurnas, Dolomites, Yorkshire 3 Peaks) and didn't get any blisters at all with this strategy. However, I did get a black toenail and impressive sock rash after the Yorkshire 3 Peaks challenge - 3 peaks + 26 miles, under 12 hours in blistering heat :(

(Ironic that I'm writing this wearing an orthopaedic boot after rupturing my Achilles tendon at the end of November....after manically pogoing barefoot to a band playing 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' :wacko: Main thing is that it'll be well healed in time for Glasto!)

In the war they used to piss on there boots as it makes the leather soft... Tis true 

If your boots are a fraction tight stuff some wet newspaper down them and dub them every day as the paper drys ( over a few days obviously ) and this will stretch the boot just a little.. 

As for wearing thick socks I find my feet sweat I'd go with the 2 sock option. 

Surely if your boots are properly broken in you shouldn't get blisters, even if you're wearing them all day like you would at the G.

If you've got new boots then get the pain and blisters out of the way now, then come June you should be good to go with a pair of boots that are broken in and used to the shape of your feet and their shouldn't be a blister in sight.