National express coach

Rov

Hello,it's my first Glastonbury this year and I'm travelling on the coach. Can anyone tell me what the best way to transport all my alcohol is ? Or what to take it in ? And do the drivers get funny about it ?? Thanks for any replies in advance. 

From what I hear, the NE driver's seem less fussy about that can be taken aboard than the See Ticket drivers.

From my own experience, we had a fairly large trolley with a large back strapped to it which contained two tents and all our drink. They didn't bat at eyelid at this. I don;t know if this is because it was a London coach and I think they pretty much just keep sending them until the queue is gone. We didn't board the bus we had the time slot for. You just get on whatever one is there when you get to the front of the queue.

See Ticket driver let us all drink on the coach to Glastonbury, unfortunately the bog got broken but he pulled over a few times & it was only from Reading.

National Express coach driver went ballistic at me when he caught me drinking on the way to Leeds this year, said he would have kicked me off if it wasn't for me loading all my gear on first. Other than that incident I put tent, separate holdall of booze, large rucksack & I put a small rucksack (with more booze) under my legs.

Tbh I think it depends on the driver & other passengers needing the space in the hold.

It very much depends on the driver.  Rule of thumb is don't take the piss.  Most drivers are going to do all they can to help fit everything in as long as no one is being a dick, the moment someone starts acting up the driver is going to be less inclined to compromise.

I don't think drinking on the coach is ever encouraged, but you could probably get away with it if it's that important to you.

I've taken an upright trolley both years with a few crates of beer on - one year SeeTickets, the other National Express - and both times it's not even been mentioned. However, disclaimer, they've always got the right to say no if stuff doesn't fit on.

I've been on the see tickets coaches before from bham, drivers have been sound, as long as you don't take the piss. Some people have trolleys, but we didn't. Im going by national express this year. It's like £52 each one way from bham, bit pissed off, thought it'd be cheaper. Not encouraging you to coach it really, as would be cheaper in a car. Does anyone know if the set up is the same as on see tickets with what you can take?

On 16/01/2017 at 0:44 PM, Perks said:

I've been on the see tickets coaches before from bham, drivers have been sound, as long as you don't take the piss. Some people have trolleys, but we didn't. Im going by national express this year. It's like £52 each one way from bham, bit pissed off, thought it'd be cheaper. Not encouraging you to coach it really, as would be cheaper in a car. Does anyone know if the set up is the same as on see tickets with what you can take?

As I mentioned above, both are pretty much the same. If it wasn't for the fact that National Express have shiny white coaches, you wouldn't notice the difference.

17 hours ago, fat_man_joe said:

As I mentioned above, both are pretty much the same. If it wasn't for the fact that National Express have shiny white coaches, you wouldn't notice the difference.

Cool, cheers. 2015 we got a see coach had no toilet, so funny watching me pal (after her 3rd Stella) cry every time the driver passed a services. He stopped in Bristol eventually, never seen her run so quick. But last year luckily ours had one. Presume every NE coach has one these days.

edit..another question

Do the NE coaches go straight to Glastonbury or make stops on the way and pick others up? anyone know?

Edited by Perks
Another question

1 hour ago, Perks said:

Cool, cheers. 2015 we got a see coach had no toilet, so funny watching me pal (after her 3rd Stella) cry every time the driver passed a services. He stopped in Bristol eventually, never seen her run so quick. But last year luckily ours had one. Presume every NE coach has one these days.

edit..another question

Do the NE coaches go straight to Glastonbury or make stops on the way and pick others up? anyone know?

I think this can depend! On the way out on NE in 2015 mine didn't stop anywhere, but there are certainly those that did. Also, on the way back, my coach made an additional stop somewhere (can't remember where) that it wasn't going to originally.

So, overall, your guess is as good as mine!

It certainly would alleviate your friend's pee problems if it did though.

I think as people above have said it mostly depends on the driver/where you're getting the coach from. I got a see coach once and there were a fair few trolley's loaded with booze and the driver was super chilled and did his best to get them on, didn't complain about anyone drinking on the coach etc. After this experience we took a trolley loaded with a couple crates and two tents onto a National Express coach from Victoria the following year and got a few harsh words from staff there and were told we may have to take it apart and leave the booze. The driver also gave strict instructions that he wouldn't tolerate drinking on the coach. I think just be sensible and don't take the piss is the general rule. 

I've just looked to see if the bham one stops and picks up anywhere on the way. Looks like it doesn't which is good. Think if you go from smaller towns / cities it does. Ours takes 3hrs 15, defo must stop at the services