2017 headliner guesses

smogo

Supposedly we're getting a pretty extensive first line-up announcement at the end of January, including all three main stage headliners. So, who do we reckon?

I think Justice and The xx are both near certainties. Maybe Kendrick Lamar for the third one? That's probably wishful thinking on my part though.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, smogo said:

Supposedly we're getting a pretty extensive first line-up announcement at the end of January, including all three main stage headliners. So, who do we reckon?

I think Justice and The xx are both near certainties. Maybe Kendrick Lamar for the third one? That's probably wishful thinking on my part though.

With it now being on the mainland I had thought about going. If they announced those three I would not bother, just not my cup of tea.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

hmmm, i suspect they'll be an exclusive at a fest with deeper pockets.

Don't think there are many of those left. Latitude could get 'em but there are a few more appealing US festivals around that time, which makes me think it'll be Bestival.

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Wonder if the Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds thing will prove to be true

Forgot about the Brian Wilson rumour. Still seems too strange for this tour to hit Europe again though.

alt-J are lining up quite a few August festivals so they're probably a decent call for this as well having already done Latitude. Tho I guess R+L could steal them exclusively.

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

hmmm, i suspect they'll be an exclusive at a fest with deeper pockets.

The Glastonbury rumour page still has them down as TBC, so do you mean that something has changed on that, or that it'd be an "exclusive-apart-from-glastonbury", which has happened on occasion before?

24 minutes ago, incident said:

The Glastonbury rumour page still has them down as TBC, so do you mean that something has changed on that, or that it'd be an "exclusive-apart-from-glastonbury", which has happened on occasion before?

ahh, true, I'd forgotten about that - so probably not entirely exclusive.

I'd still be surprised if someone hasn't just-about tied them down to something tho.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's possible, tho the tip we've had has come from someone who's been feeding us info for 10 years or more - so it's probably right.

Also, this year seems to be a big push for the XX to step up a level for arena+ status, and for that, a televised glasto appearance would be more important than a little extra money to headline latitude/bestival exclusively

10 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

Gorillaz. Although they might be a shout for Latitude with Albarns ties to the festival. 

Not doing festivals in 2017 as per RDB.

I know they wouldnt be likely for Bestival but are there any rumours of Blink 182 doing a UK festival while they are touring the UK in the summer? here for pretty much all of July.

In terms of Bestival I have no clue - which I kinda like for some reason. They often seem to be able to get one act thats a bit leftfield and not appearing at many places. Its not always a success but I hope they can do that again - as it keeps Bestival interesting and different to your bog standard alternative.

Edited by mjsell

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it's possible, tho the tip we've had has come from someone who's been feeding us info for 10 years or more - so it's probably right.

Fair, I'm not sure who you think could be offering better incentive to be exclusive somewhere else though unless a R&L sub is financially much better than Bestival?. I'm not sure how Latitude compares.

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

LCD Soundsystem, alt-J, Justice, The xx, Bon Iver, A Tribe Called Quest, Brian Wilson doing Pet Sounds.

A couple of them I'd expect. One or two of them will probably be at Latitude instead.

Shit I'd completely forgotten about LCD. That would be ace. To be honest a mixture of that selection would be fantastic. ATCQ would be a nice fit for Bestival I'd say.

9 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Fair, I'm not sure who you think could be offering better incentive to be exclusive somewhere else though unless a R&L sub is financially much better than Bestival?. I'm not sure how Latitude compares.

Festival Republic has 'allowed' its (not-quite) 'exclusive' acts to play towards the top of the Glasto bill in previous years, but managed to keep that act off the line-ups at other fests, and that's the sort of thing I'm most-expecting for the xx for this summer.

To me they just seem to be too much the upcoming act of the moment for Melvin not to try and get them for the top (or towards the top) of one of his fests.

Just now, mjsell said:

Shit I'd completely forgotten about LCD. That would be ace. To be honest a mixture of that selection would be fantastic. ATCQ would be a nice fit for Bestival I'd say.

With A Tribe Called Quest not being at Coachella or Primavera but being announced for Panorama today I guess they're just not going to be ready to tour by Coachella/Prima. Could be doing US mid-Summer and then come over here late Summer. I'd been struggling to think of a hip-hop headliner for Bestival so they'd obviously fit that.

LCD I can't really see doing any other festival in the UK now that they're ruled out of Latitude so it must be a decent chance.

Right now I think I'd probably go with alt-J, LCD Soundsystem and A Tribe Called Quest with Brian Wilson as Thursday headliner, unless the Brian Wilson info was specifically as a non-Thursday headliner? I feel like it probably was otherwise I'd have assumed that from the off.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

With A Tribe Called Quest not being at Coachella or Primavera but being announced for Panorama today I guess they're just not going to be ready to tour by Coachella/Prima. Could be doing US mid-Summer and then come over here late Summer. I'd been struggling to think of a hip-hop headliner for Bestival so they'd obviously fit that.

LCD I can't really see doing any other festival in the UK now that they're ruled out of Latitude so it must be a decent chance.

Right now I think I'd probably go with alt-J, LCD Soundsystem and A Tribe Called Quest with Brian Wilson as Thursday headliner, unless the Brian Wilson info was specifically as a non-Thursday headliner? I feel like it probably was otherwise I'd have assumed that from the off.

I think even LCD, ATCQ, Brian Wilson as the three headliners would be pretty enticing for me.

2 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I think even LCD, ATCQ, Brian Wilson as the three headliners would be pretty enticing for me.

Yeah it's a good set and I've just realised that what I said seems pretty strong for a downsizing Bestival. But then again if they're trying to recover from a poor year it may be what they need. It also lacks a huge hitter like they've had in recent years such as The Cure, Stevie Wonder and Elton John, so maybe it wouldn't be too strong.

alt-J have been announced for late Summer fests and with R&L's headliners being sorted and thinking that they'll surely be looked to grab some more headline slots now then Bestival is probably their only option. Already headlined Latitude recently and already subbed R&L so probably won't go for the same slot again there. Bestival headline and an Other Stage headline slot at Glasto is what I'll go with for now.

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Festival Republic has 'allowed' its (not-quite) 'exclusive' acts to play towards the top of the Glasto bill in previous years, but managed to keep that act off the line-ups at other fests, and that's the sort of thing I'm most-expecting for the xx for this summer.

To me they just seem to be too much the upcoming act of the moment for Melvin not to try and get them for the top (or towards the top) of one of his fests.

Fair. So basically you think either Latitude has them or R&L have some kind of exclusive on them as sub. The north/south and every bar south west of England exclusive.

The XX have a relationship with Bestival.

Bon Iver has played Camp Bestival (same site) but not Bestival before.

PJ Harvey is a Dorset lass and played Camp Bestival before.

Rob da Bank mentioned on Twitter that he thought Bestival needed to be a bit more 'indie'.

Any thoughts on Lorde?

OK I'm basically just throwing random names in here. I have no idea. However, one thing is clear - Bestival needs a strong line up this year.

19 minutes ago, rseamer said:

Rob da Bank mentioned on Twitter that he thought Bestival needed to be a bit more 'indie'.

Was thinking this about the names suggested earlier. Definitely needs to aim for that sort of thing seeing as they've been trounced by Boomtown recently with all the dub and whatnot.