Train or driving?

Newtofestivals

Hi guys, first timer here so I have another question! Did you think it's best to drive close to Glastonbury park up and get a train to avoid the traffic? Or is it best to just drive all the way there? Is the traffic really that bad on Wednesday morning? 

Also how far is the walk from the main entrance to the tangerine fields? Alcohol weighs a lot :P

The nearest station to the Festival is Castle Cary and shuttle buses are run from the station to Gate A.   If you drive, I would recommend that you arrive after Wednesday lunchtime if you want to avoid traffic (unless there is another 2016 carmageddon event).  Like Kate says, you might be easier to drive if you are staying at TF.  The walk from Gate A to TF would probably be in the region of 20-30 mins...more if you're laden. 

You would use gate A if you get the train, then you'd walk through the site to Gate B to get to Tangerine Fields

Or you'd park/camp at TF and use Gate B to get into the festival

Or if you're not staying at TF, then you will either park East and use Gate C or park West and use either Gate A or Gate D

11 minutes ago, Newtofestivals said:

Is gate A the one I would use if I got a train or if I drove?

Gate A is the one you'd be in if you get the train/coach. If you're in Tangerine fields think you get access to a separate car park

NE coach is the way to go. If you're lucky you'll get some absolute #bantslord like GETOFFAMYLAWN on the coach, who gets off the bus at Sainsbos  and buys loads of cheap alcopops to bring the communal atmosphere back up after that couple had an really awkward argument all the way along the M5.

And then on the coach back home they sat apart from each other and didn't say a word. Oh the scandal of it all!

57 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

NE coach is the way to go. If you're lucky you'll get some absolute #bantslord like GETOFFAMYLAWN on the coach, who gets off the bus at Sainsbos  and buys loads of cheap alcopops to bring the communal atmosphere back up after that couple had an really awkward argument all the way along the M5.

And then on the coach back home they sat apart from each other and didn't say a word. Oh the scandal of it all!

I hope they're okay :(

12 hours ago, Daveograve said:

Get a coach, super cheap and avoids any traffic problems

Whilst I fully support coach travel to Glastonbury, and will be taking my third coach journey there this summer (YAY!), I think one should be cautious about stating the above pronouncement unequivocally!

Last year, in the midst of Carmageddon, after more than two hours of my National Express coach being completely stationary in traffic, from around 7am on the Wednesday, I managed to schmooze the driver into giving me my rucksack and walked the last 8.5 miles to the festival with all my gear.

Glad I did as I reckon, from reports, that I likely arrived on site 4-5 hours before my poor coach-mates.

It was an epic year from start to finish, that's for sure.

So, coach = fab. But not immune from carnage!

:)

Ben

16 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

If you are def staying in tangerine fields then just drive. You have a seperate car park and you're not carrying a tent anyway. 

^ this.....but note you need to buy a parking pass from TF to get in there.

Assuming you have a parking pass then use Blue Route from the A37 at Pylle....along the lane and into the TF carpark which, as others have said, is 2 minutes from checkin and very little further to your tent.

You may have to queue to get onto Blue Route getting in but the biggest advantage with the TF carpark is that on leaving on Monday you get directed out and North through the lanes to join the A361 just East of Pilton village thereby avoiding any of the main traffic leaving the site.  Although we only live 10 miles away we left at 1200 last year and were parked on our driveway 30 minutes later.  Top job.

10 minutes ago, evannn said:

Yeah, thanks. I've looked on there and there's been nothing since June. I was just wondering when it's gonna pick back up again because if I go coach I'd rather book that before it skyrockets

The National Express prices are unlikely to go up by much - the bigger danger is that they sell out, but that's unlikely until about 3 weeks or less before the Festival - most people just aren't that organised and so a lot of things get sorted late on.

2 hours ago, incident said:

The National Express prices are unlikely to go up by much - the bigger danger is that they sell out, but that's unlikely until about 3 weeks or less before the Festival - most people just aren't that organised and so a lot of things get sorted late on.

Cheers, they've gone up £8 since ticket day. I'll speak to the missus bearing in mind they probably won't change much more 

9 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They were managing to work through their issues like adults until the #Bantasaurus thrust his blue WKD at them.

Well lar-de-dah, get a load of his royal highness over here with his WKDs. It was VK, you bourgeoisie ponce, good honest alchopop of the common folk. And I didn't give them any, we formed a cool table clique in the general vicinity of the stairs.

17 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

I hope they're okay :(

You wouldn't be saying that if they'd woken you up from your nap.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Well lar-de-dah, get a load of his royal highness over here with his WKDs. It was VK, you bourgeoisie ponce, good honest alchopop of the common folk. And I didn't give them any, we formed a cool table clique in the general vicinity of the stairs.

You wouldn't be saying that if they'd woken you up from your nap.

The venerable #archbishopofbanterbury of the coach's #girlsquad. 

"Fuck you, argumabitches! The stairs by the toilet are OURS!!!"