Time to think about tents!

Kalcius

1 hour ago, GoonerRob said:

I looked at this one when i was looking for mine, went and saw it in store and its absolutely massive... 

Yeah, it looks really big, I've watched some videos on you tube of it in it's packaging and it seems like I should be able to carry it and between the two of us we should be able to put it up without killing each other first.

We'll have a couple of practice runs in the Irish countryside in advance.

I'll update the post once it gets delivered and I get a chance to try it out

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have the 4 man version of this and can vouch that there is indeed a small area at the front between the two skins. I know this because at the last Glastonbury I went to I was in my tent on acid when a friend shouted through my doorway that he had been to a food outlet and had some food for me. I was hardly in the mood for food but thought it would be rude not to accept his offer given that he had gone to the trouble and expense of buying me the food. So, I stuck my hand through my front flaps (steady!) to receive the food. I then pulled my hand with food in it back in to the tent. Instead of seeing the pulled pork baguette I was suppossed to see I saw a fucking enormous maggot, and that it was in my hand. I really really didn't want an enormous soft bodied legless larva in my hand so kind of went in to panic mode. It then came to me in a flash - put it in the gap between the inner and outer skins at the front of the tent. I duly did this. I must confess that this wasn't an entirely successful operation as when I lay back down I couldn't stop thining about that maggot being so close to me. What was it doing there, what did it want from me kind of questions sprang to my mind.

Sitting down with a beer and a smoke and listening to your stories is rapidly becoming one of my must-see sets for 2017 Yog.

2 hours ago, Andeeroo said:

Damn. Pretty sure my tent is only about 2 years old but reading this thread has convinced me I now need a tent that has a covered porch and one that I can stand up in.

Hate you guys.

(Love you really xx)

Agreed.  Except my tent is ancient and has black mould.  But still functions.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sitting down with a beer and a smoke and listening to your stories is rapidly becoming one of my must-see sets for 2017 Yog.

Unfortunately I'm no raconteur in real life - in the flesh as it were. All that happens on here is that somebody posts something about themselves etc, and this triggers a memory of my own. If it's amusing or pertinent then I make a post. In 'real' life I'm not exactly shy, but I'm definitely no extrovert. Many a time I just prefer to stay quiet in company and just observe.

has anyone had one of these and would they recommend? It looks from my browsing to be the best combo of quality, price, bedroom space and porch space

Ps we camp in Bushy where there is usually plenty of room

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Coastline-Plus-Three-Person/dp/B0030BG9QA/ref=cts_sp_1_vtp?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=1069525627&pf_rd_r=KWPJW5EEFR9RWQ1FQH8P&pd_rd_wg=U6KmI&pf_rd_s=desktop-detail-softlines&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B0030BG9QA&pd_rd_w=M1J7h&pf_rd_i=desktop-detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=KWPJW5EEFR9RWQ1FQH8P&_encoding=UTF8

Edited by Memory Man

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Unfortunately I'm no raconteur in real life - in the flesh as it were. All that happens on here is that somebody posts something about themselves etc, and this triggers a memory of my own. If it's amusing or pertinent then I make a post. In 'real' life I'm not exactly shy, but I'm definitely no extrovert. Many a time I just prefer to stay quiet in company and just observe.

Sure. But its still wonderful being in your company at a festival. Not sure I've met nicer people than you and the Mrs...

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The latter is still a good quality :D

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

I had the 2 man iteration of this tent, probably my favourite tent to be fair, sadly it got killed at Reading Festival by marauding drunkards 

1 hour ago, Waapster said:

Sure. But its still wonderful being in your company at a festival. Not sure I've met nicer people than you and the Mrs...

That's very kind of you to say Waapster. You too brought pleasure to the camp. Just to let you know that me and her indoors are going to be trying for tickets in the re-sales. If successful we will be camping in the same spot as when we met you. Quite a few of the crew have already got tickets / are going to be working it. So, if you are stuck for somewhere to camp head there. :)

On 12/01/2017 at 4:02 AM, shuttlep said:

I am thinking about this tent, I normally have a massive beat of a tent , but I am losing the will to carry it

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-ii-freshblack-pop-up-tent-2-man-id_8357352.html

That looks great - exactly what I'm looking for, just with no porch. There does seem enough room to stick a pair of boots and a bag of rubbish, though. I'm very tempted, although I'd get the three man tent. 60cm more space inside, a tenner more and less than a kilo heavier.

One question: would this tent be more effective at keeping the inside cool than a classic tent with space blankets stuck to the outside of it? That's what I did last time, and it was quite effective, but it was a right ball-ache having to sellotape it together.

EDIT: Just read through this thread about the same tent and it all looks great, aside from the fact that I'm 6'2. It sounds like I won't fit except if I sleep diagonally. I think I can cope with that hit, for the sake of the cooler, darker mornings. PURCHASED!!

*goes to find the 'things I did to prepare for Glasto' thread*

Edited by kalifire

17 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The best tales come from conversation Yog.  Those who hold court and bewitch others with their recollections of days past are generally frightful bores.  Stories that come naturally to a chat, however, are another matter altogether :)

And yes, you shall go to the ball :friends:

43 minutes ago, matt2007 said:

What are your thoughts on this one, I am there as crew from the Saturday before so want plenty of space etc

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/vango-ark-400-plus-tent.html

Only 4 ft 9 at the highest point. For an extra few quid and an extra few KG you could get a bigger one that you can stand up in. Makes a big difference. For me anyway. 

Something like this.

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/vango-kalu-400-tent.html

Edited by The Nal

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Only 4 ft 9 at the highest point. For an extra few quid and an extra few KG you could get a bigger one that you can stand up in. Makes a big difference. For me anyway. 

Something like this.

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/vango-kalu-400-tent.html

Lucky as a short arse hight is not too much of an issue

18 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That's very kind of you to say Waapster. You too brought pleasure to the camp. Just to let you know that me and her indoors are going to be trying for tickets in the re-sales. If successful we will be camping in the same spot as when we met you. Quite a few of the crew have already got tickets / are going to be working it. So, if you are stuck for somewhere to camp head there. :)

You will not be alone in your endeavour, old pal...

:)

Ben
x

7 hours ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

This is my tent, purchased just before Christmas for £100 - havnt had a chance to bung it up yet of course, due to weather/living in a flat etc etc - but it looks thoroughly decent for the price, and has all the spec i'm after. Nice big porch, head height, side and front entrance, room for chairs and equipment etc. Perfect! (Til I pop it up in April and find a glaring fault with it somewhere :lol: )

9 hours ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

Looks ideal to me, lighter tones make for cooler mornings, porch space is identical to the Eurohike avon and the inner tent is similarly self enclosed with groundsheet..  Earlier this year the camp solo crew convened for a welsh sojourn and we discovered a whole new need for structural stability in high winds, learned a few things about tents that weekend.  I'd imagine this tent would withstand all conditions, based on experience.  If I was in the market for a tent this would be what I would buy right now.

On 14/01/2017 at 10:07 AM, Adystar said:

There's 6 of us going this year.any recommendations for a beast that will accommodate us all.a bit of head height and a porch would be good,ta 

Hello Adystar,

I have no idea of the quality of this tent (see link below), but it does seem to fit your size requirements, is double skinned and is being sold at a remarkable price;

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Outdoor-Super-Large-Oxford-Fabric-Double-Layers-Tent-For-Eight-People-p-56284.html?rmmds=search