Time to think about tents!

Kalcius

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this last year... not the lightest thing ive ever carried but waterproof, can stand up in the porch, easy space for 2 people (tho i just use it for myself). 

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3076220

It was only £89.99 when i bought it if i remember rightly (half price discount). Spent absolutely ages looking for it. 

3 hours ago, cerv said:

Can you share links to some? For me the holy grail of tents is the one you can stand up in, has some porch area (doesn't need to be huge, just some) and comes in under 10 kg. And less than £200 if poss. Ideally around the £100-150 mark. It's not that easy!

23 minutes ago, GoonerRob said:

Got this last year... not the lightest thing ive ever carried but waterproof, can stand up in the porch, easy space for 2 people (tho i just use it for myself). 

It was only £89.99 when i bought it if i remember rightly (half price discount). Spent absolutely ages looking for it. 

I like that one. How small did it pack down? <must not buy a new tent, must not buy a new tent>

Edited by giantkatestacks

26 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I am thinking about this tent, I normally have a massive beat of a tent , but I am losing the will to carry it

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-ii-freshblack-pop-up-tent-2-man-id_8357352.html

My son has that one, it it easy to put up and lasted last year's Green Man without leaking which is saying something. No porch though.

33 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I am thinking about this tent, I normally have a massive beat of a tent , but I am losing the will to carry it

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-ii-freshblack-pop-up-tent-2-man-id_8357352.html

I have had a 3 man Quechua pop up since 2008 and it still works well although does not exactly 'pop up' any more when you take it out of its bag.

Only downside is lack of porch, however there is a small area between the two skins by the entrance which will accommodate a couple of boots

3 minutes ago, tjamest said:

I have had a 3 man Quechua pop up since 2008 and it still works well although does not exactly 'pop up' any more when you take it out of its bag.

Only downside is lack of porch, however there is a small area between the two skins by the entrance which will accommodate a couple of boots

I have the 4 man version of this and can vouch that there is indeed a small area at the front between the two skins. I know this because at the last Glastonbury I went to I was in my tent on acid when a friend shouted through my doorway that he had been to a food outlet and had some food for me. I was hardly in the mood for food but thought it would be rude not to accept his offer given that he had gone to the trouble and expense of buying me the food. So, I stuck my hand through my front flaps (steady!) to receive the food. I then pulled my hand with food in it back in to the tent. Instead of seeing the pulled pork baguette I was suppossed to see I saw a fucking enormous maggot, and that it was in my hand. I really really didn't want an enormous soft bodied legless larva in my hand so kind of went in to panic mode. It then came to me in a flash - put it in the gap between the inner and outer skins at the front of the tent. I duly did this. I must confess that this wasn't an entirely successful operation as when I lay back down I couldn't stop thining about that maggot being so close to me. What was it doing there, what did it want from me kind of questions sprang to my mind.

52 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

There is no way that is folding down as quick as quick/easy as it shows in the video, though I'd say decent option. You need a porch though.

14 minutes ago, tjamest said:

That's a bit like mine, it's pop up but having been used and refurbished now it's lacks the spring mechanism it once had to go straight up. It does however even every pitch of rain out but the porch is only single skin so does gather condensation underneath the top....but still I've never found a puddle inside. The size of the porch is easy to store the tent bag, wellies, trainers and the trolley I use to lug it all. http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/tents/987-pop-300-dlx.html. Cheapest on ebay seems to be £105, there was only two when I got mine to be honest and just struck lucky.

10 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I have the 4 man version of this and can vouch that there is indeed a small area at the front between the two skins. I know this because at the last Glastonbury I went to I was in my tent on acid when a friend shouted through my doorway that he had been to a food outlet and had some food for me. I was hardly in the mood for food but thought it would be rude not to accept his offer given that he had gone to the trouble and expense of buying me the food. So, I stuck my hand through my front flaps (steady!) to receive the food. I then pulled my hand with food in it back in to the tent. Instead of seeing the pulled pork baguette I was suppossed to see I saw a fucking enormous maggot, and that it was in my hand. I really really didn't want an enormous soft bodied legless larva in my hand so kind of went in to panic mode. It then came to me in a flash - put it in the gap between the inner and outer skins at the front of the tent. I duly did this. I must confess that this wasn't an entirely successful operation as when I lay back down I couldn't stop thining about that maggot being so close to me. What was it doing there, what did it want from me kind of questions sprang to my mind.

Just say no, kids

5 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I've got the three-person version of this. Great at Latitude last year. It was a hot one and inside the tent was much cooler. Up in under a minute and the drawstring means I can have it put away in under 5 minutes. Obvs you can't stand up in it but it weighs just under 4kg and is a doddle to carry and pitch.

Hi-Gear have now also introduced an AuraElite 3 tent. £10 more but the only differences I can spot are 0.5kg lighter, 5cm shorter and a different colour. There may be more to it but who knows. Hoping this may be a replacement for the Aura 3 Family which could mean it will go down in price.

52924-111016113450-2124681899.jpg

10 minutes ago, Waapster said:

I've got the three-person version of this. Great at Latitude last year. It was a hot one and inside the tent was much cooler. Up in under a minute and the drawstring means I can have it put away in under 5 minutes. Obvs you can't stand up in it but it weighs just under 4kg and is a doddle to carry and pitch.

I too got the 3-person version of the tent. I only used it at Glastonbury though, so I'm unable to say anything about the cooling aspects of the tent. It was certainly darker inside than my previous tent, although not pitch black. Personally I found it quicker to put down my previous popup tent than this new one with a drawstring, but that's just down to a complete lack of practice.

6 hours ago, shuttlep said:

Me the Mrs got a tent very similar to this (after lugging around a huge 6 man tent previously) Works a dream, we have the two man version and its spacious enough for the both of us and all our crap - so easy to put up, and it's not too bad to put away again - although I find sitting on it to keep everything together while someone else clicks the buckles on the straps in helps ;)

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

This is brilliant. Nearly woke the Mrs up laughing then.

Haven't done acid in a few years. May have a dabble for old times sake this year at G! None of my group ever cope on it though. We did it once at Glasto, I was having an absolute whale of a time, but then noticed my two mates on their knees by our camp, facing each other, repeatedly asking each other very worriedly: "Are you pretending to be me?" "No, why, are you pretending to be me?". I've ever seen so much fear and confusion over such an amount of time.

So I went in my tent and was pretty certain I was Bowzer from Mario for about 3 hours, which I was fine with.

Anyway. Tents...

49 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

This is brilliant. Nearly woke the Mrs up laughing then.

Haven't done acid in a few years. May have a dabble for old times sake this year at G! None of my group ever cope on it though. We did it once at Glasto, I was having an absolute whale of a time, but then noticed my two mates on their knees by our camp, facing each other, repeatedly asking each other very worriedly: "Are you pretending to be me?" "No, why, are you pretending to be me?". I've ever seen so much fear and confusion over such an amount of time.

So I went in my tent and was pretty certain I was Bowzer from Mario for about 3 hours, which I was fine with.

Anyway. Tents...

I've never took acid on my own. I'm not too sure that I'd take it at Glastonbury for the first time. Maybe it's because my last acid trip was at Glastonbury with my wife and friends. My wife's son asked me and his mom if we wanted to take some acid. We gave it less thought than we should have done, and said yes to him. To cut a long story short we took it and went to the acoustic stage. There my wife started to break down crying. Then I started crying because I didn't want to see her crying. I felt unable to help her. Then a steward came over and asked us if we were alright. Between the tears we told him that we were fine, although we weren't. Gradually we came around and things improved. By improvement I mean we could see the funny side of things. By this time we were sitting on a bench in the middle of a downpour which, to me at least, had reached biblical proportions.

When we went back it was to discover that my stepson had given us military grade acid which he gets sent through the post from some bloke in Manchester. My wife's response to finding this out ws to say ' Thanks son'.

So please do be in a good frame of mind, if you do decide to go for it. :)

Fantastic story about you and your mates experience, even if I don't know for sure who Bowser or Mario are. I'm guessing Mario is the computer game and Bowser is a character within it? If so, I think you need help. lol

20 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I like you