Glastonbury trolley, what's the best

beckilek123

I travelled by car so took a big trolley and can't advise much on small ones, however some thoughts based on seeing so many abandoned and broken trolleys over the years.

Assume you'll be hauling it through soft squelchy mud, up to six inches or more deep and ask yourself how would it cope with that.  Small, thin wheels are a waste of time as they'll just sink into the mud.

Then consider how much stuff you'll be hauling on the trolley. When travelling by car you can leave some stuff in the car and make a second trip back for it. You won't be able to do that if you're travelling by coach, so it will need to be big enough and sturdy enough to carry everything in one trip.  The only other possibility is that if you are going with mates you take a trolley each.

Whatever trolley you take you need to make sure everything is well secured to it, so a good collection of bungees is essential.  I'd also make sure that everything is in waterproof bags.  You don't want your sleeping bag falling off and landing in mud or water.

I'd try to avoid trolleys with steering as the pivot point is often a weak point that breaks.  Most of the trolley towing will be straight line stuff so you won't really need steering.  If you need to change direction just lift one end up and re-point it the way you need to go.

Good luck.

This is our Glastomobile which survived year after year until it was pensioned off when I got a caravan.  It was constructed from two B&Q sack trucks bolted together.

2jeuzi0.jpg

I've had this one (http://camping.efestivals.co.uk/off-roader-heavy-duty-festival-trolley-1035-p.asp) for 6/7 years now, coped really well in all weathers so far, needed some running repairs over the years but folds down flat so ideal for coach trips and storing in your tent if, Ike me, you never bother taking it to the lock ups 

50 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I've had this one (http://camping.efestivals.co.uk/off-roader-heavy-duty-festival-trolley-1035-p.asp) for 6/7 years now, coped really well in all weathers so far, needed some running repairs over the years but folds down flat so ideal for coach trips and storing in your tent if, Ike me, you never bother taking it to the lock ups 

We have 2 of these and can't speak highly enough of them. 

5 hours ago, beckilek123 said:

Anyone know what trolley is the best? traveling by coach so nothing to big. Thanks 

Bought this for 2014 and it surfed the mud and sludge comfortably. The only problem with taking a trolley though is navigating any kind of underground system like in London. That was harder than the festival itself.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005CTXKM4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

56 minutes ago, Smeble said:

No idea which is the best but any trolley is better than no trolley.

try not to do what me and the wife did after nearly killing ourselves at IOW in '15 by  buying a 20 yr old Motorhome, slight over reaction but having lots of fun with it.

Not always true, we were in the queue with a lovely couple with a trolley 2 years ago we were jealous since we had everything loaded on our backs until their trolley broke and they had no way to carry all their loose belongings, I wanted to help but was at breaking point myself, last I saw of them they were crying on the ground about 15 meters from the gate. Thank God it wasn't last year!

6 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

I travelled by car so took a big trolley and can't advise much on small ones, however some thoughts based on seeing so many abandoned and broken trolleys over the years.

Assume you'll be hauling it through soft squelchy mud, up to six inches or more deep and ask yourself how would it cope with that.  Small, thin wheels are a waste of time as they'll just sink into the mud.

Then consider how much stuff you'll be hauling on the trolley. When travelling by car you can leave some stuff in the car and make a second trip back for it. You won't be able to do that if you're travelling by coach, so it will need to be big enough and sturdy enough to carry everything in one trip.  The only other possibility is that if you are going with mates you take a trolley each.

Whatever trolley you take you need to make sure everything is well secured to it, so a good collection of bungees is essential.  I'd also make sure that everything is in waterproof bags.  You don't want your sleeping bag falling off and landing in mud or water.

I'd try to avoid trolleys with steering as the pivot point is often a weak point that breaks.  Most of the trolley towing will be straight line stuff so you won't really need steering.  If you need to change direction just lift one end up and re-point it the way you need to go.

Good luck.

This is our Glastomobile which survived year after year until it was pensioned off when I got a caravan.  It was constructed from two B&Q sack trucks bolted together.

2jeuzi0.jpg

That's an absolutely awesome looking trolley , I've always used the same type of sack barrow as yours but obviously not 2 bolted together and I'd put my life on them getting you in and out without any issues as long you pack and fasten everything on securely . I wouldn't know what else to recommend other than these , I look on in disbelief when I see some of the pathetic trolleys that people bring that fall apart at the first sign of a bump in the grass , fail to prepare prepare to fail (God that sounds like the words of loser )

We usually went in a gang of four or five, in one car when we were camping - which I reckon is probably as green as going by bus or train.  It meant we had the luxury of a big tent and two to pull and two to push the trolley, which travelled on the roof rack.

By having four wheels it meant that we could also stop and take a rest from time to time.

Another reason why I believe it was greener was that everything we took to the festival we took back home (apart from the food and drink we consumed). Even anything that was damaged was taken home for repair.  We never left a trace.

Doing it lightweight and leaving broken trolleys and wrecked tents isn't for me.

Edited by grumpyhack

3 minutes ago, Untz said:

Or you're a lazy bastard.

The only things we don't put on the trolley are clothes, but even they get added on the way back, so we could manage without one, but yeah nah.

How much stuff do you bring that necessitates a trolley? Rucksack on the back with a few clothes and a bit of booze, tent in the hand and err...... what else?

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

How much stuff do you bring that necessitates a trolley? Rucksack on the back with a few clothes and a bit of booze, tent in the hand and err...... what else?

I have a thick sleeping bag that takes up about as much space as clothes, which is essential. There's also the self-inflating mat and wellies (not getting into the boots v wellies argument). 

I wouldn't bring one if it was just me, but it carries the stuff of two weaklings and it's far nicer to arrive without sweaty, sore backs. Like I said, I'm a lazy bastard who goes with an lazier bastard.

11 minutes ago, Untz said:

I have a thick sleeping bag that takes up about as much space as clothes, which is essential. There's also the self-inflating mat and wellies (not getting into the boots v wellies argument). 

I wouldn't bring one if it was just me, but it carries the stuff of two weaklings and it's far nicer to arrive without sweaty, sore backs. Like I said, I'm a lazy bastard who goes with an lazier bastard.

Hahah fair enough. 

Good sleeping bags are essential yes. 

Posh and having no need to such things as trolleys - Saw this couple in 2014 arrive by Landrover dropped off next to us at the edge of Big Ground Field, Saskia and Sebastian in think the names, about 20?  A right couple off toffs who had evidently no idea how to erect tents as for a start they were so close to me I thought they were bullding me an extension, anyways  its all set up c/w chairs, tables. awnings, gazebos, primus, cups, kettles (all one label)......spent the next several days bitching about weather / crowds / bands / common neighbours (that would be me).  :On the last day they were flabbergasted for their transport not to arrive, so they literally removed wellies, all their bad weather clothing and, EVERYTHING else including half eaten food on plates, chairs the lot and started walking off

In my disgust i happened to mention hadn't they read the "Leave no Trace" signage to which they mustered a raised eyebrow between them at the oik having the nerve to confront them. As they strolled off merrily without baggage I sang them some tittle ditties to send them on their way, all with the word cnut in them.   

Been going since 85 and the things left now astound me.

Edited by ya_concha

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

If you need a trolley you're doing it wrong.

Yup.  Double rucksacks front and back (front one for booze), tent either in hand or strapped to the bags.

Obviously unless you're not strong / fit enough or have some form of condition or impairment that makes this not an option, or will impact the remainder of your time on site by breaking you on the walk in. But I always found my back hurt more after trying to drag a trolley at an unnatural angle than just carrying stuff nice and upright.

Plus it's damn easier to navigate crowds when you're not trying to drag a trolley. And legs are all-terrain.

20 minutes ago, ya_concha said:

Posh and having no need to such things as trolleys - Saw this couple in 2014 arrive by Landrover dropped off next to us at the edge of Big Ground Field, Saskia and Sebastian in think the names, about 20?  A right couple off toffs who had evidently no idea how to erect tents as for a start they were so close to me I thought they were bullding me an extension, anyways  its all set up c/w chairs, tables. awnings, gazebos, primus, cups, kettles (all one label)......spent the next several days bitching about weather / crowds / bands / common neighbours (that would be me).  :On the last day they were flabbergasted for their transport not to arrive, so they literally removed wellies, all their bad weather clothing and, EVERYTHING else including half eaten food on plates, chairs the lot and started walking off

In my disgust i happened to mention hadn't they read the "Leave no Trace" signage to which they mustered a raised eyebrow between them at the oik having the nerve to confront them. As they strolled off merrily without baggage I sang them some tittle ditties to send them on their way, all with the word cnut in them.   

Been going since 85 and the things left now astound me.

Leave No Trace or not, it astounds me that people just leave their rubbish for other people to clear up. I was shocked by the post-festival pictures this year.

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I used to be a strong advocate of the only bring what you can carry philosophy, and would quietly scoff at folks with their trolleys piled high with everything but the kitchen sink whilst I was strolling in nonchalantly with only the barest of essentials and a tiny tent.

Now I'm a little older and I need more creature comforts to prevent the onset of grumpiness, so I've bought a stupidly big tent and I need a trolley for it. Looks like the kids will be coming with us this year too which will no doubt add loads more unnecessary luggage.

Was thinking of getting a big bike style trolley, but I'm very interested to hear more about those heavy duty ones in the efests shop. Are they easy to manage solo when loaded up very heavily? Do you end up having to drag them a bit when the mud is thick? Is going up-hill difficult?

I've got one of the heavy duty efests trolleys, highly recommended.  Very sturdily constructed, has coped with multiple trips in some nasty years (2011 and 2016 in particular) and folds down small enough that I've taken it on both coach and train in the past.

Do you end up having to drag them a bit when the mud is thick?

Yes.  Anything with wheels smaller than bike trolley wheels struggles in the kind of mud that gets churned up around the gates, but once you are onto tracks it is not so bad.