• Public Service Broadcasting
    • Pete Seeger Band
    • Po'okela Street Band

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Cheers for posting.  Didn't realise that the original sounded like that.

Though I'm hell bent down that road to Pedant City - Elvis is the original version of it. Though the first single version to chart was Brenda Lee. Willies version (gawd bless 'im) didn't come out until some years later.

2 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Though I'm hell bent down that road to Pedant City - Elvis is the original version of it. Though the first single version to chart was Brenda Lee. Willies version (gawd bless 'im) didn't come out until some years later.

Which was kind of what I was trying to get at (in a half arsed way) by implying Willie's was a better cover of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_on_My_Mind

The reason that the Shoppies' cover is an all timer is that it manages to simultaneously rebuild the song from the ground up while still maintaining the air of regretful longing of all the best previous versions.  They scrape off the schmaltz, up the tempo to dancefloor speed and add in *that* synth fanfare , but it still remains introspective (arf) and regretful.

It's unbearably sad and joyous all at once.  Heartfelt grandiosity - which isn't easy to pull off.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The reason that the Shoppies' cover is an all timer is that it manages to simultaneously rebuild the song from the ground up while still maintaining the air of regretful longing of all the best previous versions.  They scrape off the schmaltz, up the tempo to dancefloor speed and add in *that* synth fanfare , but it still remains introspective (arf) and regretful.

It's unbearably sad and joyous all at once.  Heartfelt grandiosity - which isn't easy to pull off.

I seem to recall it was recorded for a TV special where lots of artists covered Elvis songs (I forget who did the version of In the ghetto that was also superb) and it stood out for being so dramatically set aside from the original whilst becoming something new and unmistakable in the hands of the artists in question.

As for the Willie Nelson clansman thing, couldn't be farther from the truth and gives me a chance to shoehorn in one of my favourite covers:

15 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I seem to recall it was recorded for a TV special where lots of artists covered Elvis songs (I forget who did the version of In the ghetto that was also superb) and it stood out for being so dramatically set aside from the original whilst becoming something new and unmistakable in the hands of the artists in question.

As for the Willie Nelson clansman thing, couldn't be farther from the truth and gives me a chance to shoehorn in one of my favourite covers:

Nice. Will be 7 years next June. Time to get Willie back. Lets face it - he's in his 80's so clock is ticking

14 hours ago, rubenz said:

Psb concert on sky arts now for anyonexample interested in how they sounded in 2009!

I bet they sounded different, since that was the year they started.

17 minutes ago, Chazwozza said:

What about the PSB (Po'okela Street Band) http://pookelastreetband.yolasite.com/about-us.php

Fair enough, added.