• Public Service Broadcasting
    • Pete Seeger Band
    • Po'okela Street Band

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big Public Service Broadcasting fan, but I'm three songs into the new album and, as suspected, am already bored of hearing Welsh people discussing coal mining. It's too repetitive (and the accent doesn't help!).

The first album had variety, and space and war are pretty epic subjects, but this feels way too parochial, narrow and, as I said, repetitive. Really don't know why they chose this subject to be honest; can't see it standing up to repeat listens, despite the music itself sounding strong.

In conclusion: looking forward to seeing the Pet Shop Boys at Pride in Brighton next weekend.

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'm a big Public Service Broadcasting fan, but I'm three songs into the new album and, as suspected, am already bored of hearing Welsh people discussing coal mining. It's too repetitive (and the accent doesn't help!).

The first album had variety, and space and war are pretty epic subjects, but this feels way too parochial, narrow and, as I said, repetitive. Really don't know why they chose this subject to be honest; can't see it standing up to repeat listens, despite the music itself sounding strong.

In conclusion: looking forward to seeing the Pet Shop Boys at Pride in Brighton next weekend.

Wow, I've really got to disagree with all of the above. What's wrong with the Welsh accent?!

To me, it's kind of obvious why they chose the subject. I was tiny when the miners' strike happened but it's a huge event in British politics that people still speak about today and that has repercussions politically and socially. It might be a bit more national, rather than international, than their usual subjects (although not The War Room EP) but for me it makes perfect sense as a choice of subject matter. Especially given what's going on in politics today, which seems more divisive in many ways than ever. The little essay they wrote for the inner sleeve of the album is worth a read.

Jealous about Pet Shop Boys though...

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

Wait till you get to the song sung in Welsh...

I think the subject matter holds up, glad they decided to go a bit low key with it, how much bigger can you actually go then space?

Not their best for me, I'd advise sticking with it though. I'm sure you'll like it more than that Quietus dude ahah.

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Wait till you get to the song sung in Welsh...

I think the subject matter holds up, glad they decided to go a bit low key with it, how much bigger can you actually go then space?

Not their best for me, I'd advise sticking with it though. I'm sure you'll like it more than that Quietus dude ahah.

Christ, the guy from the Manics just started singing... and I think he's singing about coal mining too!

Thanks for the warning, I'll look forward to that...

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Wow, I've really got to disagree with all of the above. What's wrong with the Welsh accent?!

To me, it's kind of obvious why they chose the subject. I was tiny when the miners' strike happened but it's a huge event in British politics that people still speak about today and that has repercussions politically and socially. It might be a bit more national, rather than international, than their usual subjects (although not The War Room EP) but for me it makes perfect sense as a choice of subject matter. Especially given what's going on in politics today, which seems more divisive in many ways than ever. The little essay they wrote for the inner sleeve of the album is worth a read.

Jealous about Pet Shop Boys though...

I get the subject as a microcosm for a lot of things are are dealing with today (globalisation, etc), but it just feels too parochial and repetitive to me so far. I'm obviously stoked (deliberate pun) for anyone who does enjoy this though. Been offered a ticket to Hammersmith, which I was considering, but may have to rethink. Would watch them like a shot (as per) at a fest though.

And I always thought claiming that they are better than the Pet Shop Boys was a bit silly (FYI, their last album was pretty decent, I thought, if you haven't heard it!).

34 minutes ago, Homer said:

I'm the opposite.  I have no problem with the subject matter, it's quite intimate and thoughtful, but the music just doesn't have the variety or excitement of the first two albums for me.

EDIT: And I can listen to the welsh accent all day long.  A real pity they weren't booked this year.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Soz guys, finding Every Valley to be stunted, ham-fisted shit (except for Haiku Salut's appearence, bloody love Haiku Salut, they can do no wrong). Public Service Broadcasting only work on a campy fun level, this is spectacularly ill-judged. 

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

#teamAF and #teamGorillaz fairly sheepish too. Other than  #teamxx, it's not been a good showing for my favourite bands this year.

sunnier on my side of the fence; #TeamLC!, #TeamKungfuKenny #TeamXCX, #TeamNIN all bringing big guns to the knife fight, and #TeamNational sound like they're cooking up summat nuclear. Although I'm not going to be able to unclench my arse cheeks until #TeamLCD show us what they're up to, that one really could go either way.

• 1 month later...