Lollapalooza Berlin 2017

AAlex

Couldn't see a thread for this so thought I would start one, I went in 2016 and it was an amazing weekend, albeit a fairly small line up with 2-3 main stages.

Who are people thinking for this years? The 2015 line up came out at the start of March with 2016 coming mid February so hopefully we should know in around a month or so.

I suppose you can rule out Muse, Macklemore, Libertines, Kings of Leon and Radiohead after headlining the first two years, the latter two who would probably be heavily rumoured otherwise. There's still a long list of bands who could be potential headliners, The Strokes, Metallica and The XX are at all three South American versions of the festival, along with the likes of Foos, Green Day, Killers, Arcade Fire, Mumford & Sons, RHCP and The Weeknd doing the rounds in Europe this year already.

I think Eminem will be one of the headliners. Today NIN, A Tribe Called Quest and Tame Impala announced their first festival dates for 2017. NYC, but hopefully NIN and Tribe will come to Europe late summer, maybe to Lolla Berlin

15940382_1083874258408235_7098835617098902034_n.jpg

On 09/01/2017 at 6:03 PM, pete76 said:

I think Eminem will be one of the headliners. Today NIN, A Tribe Called Quest and Tame Impala announced their first festival dates for 2017. NYC, but hopefully NIN and Tribe will come to Europe late summer, maybe to Lolla Berlin

15940382_1083874258408235_7098835617098902034_n.jpg

Interesting, I know Eminem is heavily rumoured for Leeds so that would put him in Europe around the right time, I can't confess to knowing what would go down well in Germany, but it would be a leap away from the likes of Radiohead, KoL, Muse, Libertines in recent years?

Personally I'd like Foos and RHCP but they both seem to be in Europe a bit too early for this, with the latter going back to Dublin the week after for their rescheduled gigs from December.

It's a tough one to call, I can't remember Radiohead or KoL doing many European festivals last Summer(?) so it could come completely out of nowhere... I've just read on here that the first Lollapalooza Paris will be announced next week, but given the fact these are two months apart unlike the South American trio of Lollas, it may not be any indication as to the Berlin line up.

• 3 weeks later...

Line ups out next week. It doesn't specifically mention it there but they did confirm it on Facebook.

Tough one to call with it being September as you can't really look at who else is about, Kasabian would seem a likely option with headlining Reading & Leeds? announcement might come a bit too early for Eminem(if he is indeed the third R&L headliner).

Is anyone thinking about going this year? 

IMG_8047.PNG

I was thinking about doing this festival last year, because I really want to see Berlin and wanted to see Radiohead + KoL and a few others from the undercard. However, the lack of camping options put me off and I only did Exit after all.

It really depends on the names they will pull off this year, but I think they had a good line up for a 2-day festival on the first two editions.

9 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

I was thinking about doing this festival last year, because I really want to see Berlin and wanted to see Radiohead + KoL and a few others from the undercard. However, the lack of camping options put me off and I only did Exit after all.

It really depends on the names they will pull off this year, but I think they had a good line up for a 2-day festival on the first two editions.

Yeah we were in a hotel, the underground is great there we just got on around the corner from the hotel and got off at Treptower Park, where the festival was, the hotel prices are fairly reasonable too, I believe we paid £60 each for a double room for three nights and have reserved the same hotel again. It's difficult to say what it'll be like this year because its moving sites (also announced next week), so the ease of transport/layout of the festival which were great will differ this year.

It's dificult to predict the headliners, Muse did it in 2015 and are a Leeds European Festival Exclusive so they're out, so Kasabian would be a likely candidate. Not many of the August festivals have announced their full line up yet, but I don't know if it matters anyway, thinking back I don't remember Kings of Leon or Radiohead doing a high number of European festival dates last year, so it came a bit of out the blue... in fact it only came to our attention when we saw Kings of Leon were in Europe.

The Weeknd is headlining all four of the Lollapalooza's so far (Chile, Argentina and Brazil in March/April and Paris in July), so even though he may not still be around Europe, a flight over to Berlin wouldn't be out of the question. The undercard excites me too, the likes of Foals, The XX(granted maybe not an 'undercard' act), Two Door Cinema Club, Royal Blood and Blossoms didn't do either of the first two Lollapalooza's, so hopefully some will be there.

Foo's will most likely not be around Europe by then, but RHCP are back in Dublin a week or so later for their rescheduled dates, if it's two from RHCP, Kasabian, The Weeknd, Killers, Mumford and Sons, The Strokes and Arcade Fire I would be a very happy man, and if possible, not The Weeknd :lol:.

@alexlloyd What hotel is/was that, we went last year and got into a hotel suggested by them (thought it was a fair price, but guess it wasn't really that.. It was our first festival out of the country so yeah, all a bit new..) 

I'm expecting The Kooks, Interpol, The XX, Band Of Horses, Justice and hopefully 2 good headliners, last years was amazing with Radiohead and Kings of Leon (though we went to New Order instead on Saturday but okay..)

11 minutes ago, arcuse said:

@alexlloyd What hotel is/was that, we went last year and got into a hotel suggested by them (thought it was a fair price, but guess it wasn't really that.. It was our first festival out of the country so yeah, all a bit new..) 

I'm expecting The Kooks, Interpol, The XX, Band Of Horses, Justice and hopefully 2 good headliners, last years was amazing with Radiohead and Kings of Leon (though we went to New Order instead on Saturday but okay..)

It's called Motel Plus Berlin, I booked it through laterooms, it might have been £75/80 each actually, but this year I've already reserved it (free cancellation) for three nights at 153 euros between us. Hotel staff were great, we turned up at 10am but couldn't check in until around 3 so the receptionist got a map out and showed us all the best stops on the underground for the wall, Berlin centre and bars, which then led to us checking in around midnight :lol:

I'm expecting/hoping for The XX too, The Weeknd doing Paris may just be a coincidence as he's in Europe in July, but if he's headling 4 Lolla's already I could see him doing all six. I'd settle for one exciting headliner providing there's someone like The XX/Foals playing on the second stage the other day, hopefully they won't leave us waiting until Thursday-Friday next week because I'm planning on buying a ticket as soon as the line ups out (line up depending of course).

A side note, and I'm sure you got the same, I hope they have a better system with the drinks this year, I don't think anyone knew what was going on! I think during the two days I paid 3.50, 4.50 and 5.50 for a beer, sometimes getting a token, sometimes not, I think I ended up about 20 euros out of pocket :lol:

I really doubt it'll be Kasabian. Their set at Rock am Ring 2014 (same year they headlined Glastonbury) was around 3-4pm and crowd wasn't very responsive.
Hope for Mumford & Sons (high chances 'cause for today their last date is 23.08 in Switzerland) and The Killers (probably not).

1 hour ago, Mondo-kun said:

I really doubt it'll be Kasabian. Their set at Rock am Ring 2014 (same year they headlined Glastonbury) was around 3-4pm and crowd wasn't very responsive.
Hope for Mumford & Sons (high chances 'cause for today their last date is 23.08 in Switzerland) and The Killers (probably not).

Yeah suppose they could sub like libertines did in '15 same year they headlined R&L but I doubt they'd take a lower slot these days, have to see. 

Id like Mumford too, I don't know who's popular in germant but my ideal two would be the strokes and Killers who are two big bands I'm yet to see and doesn't look like I will this Summer. Strokes are doing the other Lolla's in South America and could be a surprise package, because like I say Radiohead and KoL weren't exactly heavily touring last year. 

Im optimistic though, there's not that many headline worthy bands about this Summer I wouldn't be happy to see.

Edited by alexlloyd

9 minutes ago, pete76 said:

Metallica should be around in september. Them and Eminem, that's my early guess. Undercard was pretty disappointed last 2 years, not too many good bands touring this time of year.

I think Eminem is nailed on, I'm expecting him to headline Lollapalooza over there, expected as soon as it was said about a new album and possibly at Reading.

Berlin always seems to get headliners who will tour the year after.. with their album, happened with Muse, RH and KoL (was Macklemore really the other headliner? Because that's pretty disappointing then.. But Metallica and Eminem seems in that theory very likely then

Is Foals really that big already in Germany to close a South stage, I'm sure The xx would but Foals? Undercard was a bit meh idd, but I think most of their money went to Radiohead anyways haha :P 

I don't understand why they won't work with coupon's or something, where u have bars where u can exchange money for coupon's and buy drinks with those. Didn't lose a lot of money but I get what you mean, was a lil bit messy but I think they're aware of some things, for example the toilet problem or the overcrowding in some areas..

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I think Eminem is nailed on, I'm expecting him to headline Lollapalooza over there, expected as soon as it was said about a new album and possibly at Reading.

I did think Eminem but would this announcement not come a bit too soon? no festivals in Europe announced so far would he really be on this and then nothing for a month or so? 

15 hours ago, alexlloyd said:

I did think Eminem but would this announcement not come a bit too soon? no festivals in Europe announced so far would he really be on this and then nothing for a month or so? 

I think he'll so similar to how Mumford returned at Lolla and then came over to R&L.

He could well turn up earlier in August for a couple of shows, Puckelpop I'm not so sure mind, he would only need to be in the states very early August for Lolla. I wouldn't be surprised by his own shows summer next year which will have been 4 years.

Edited by thewayiam

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, princemuzzy said:

Has the location for this year changed now?

It's changed from last year, which is a shame because I loved the layout last year... but as far as I can see it's still at Rennbahn Hoppegarten this year which is a horse racing track. Looking at the image below I'm guessing they'll have to put at least one stage down that path in the bottom left hand corner (if there's room) like they did with the dance/third stage last year. 

Last years location was on a public park and I think they got quite a lot of negative press about how they left it, which is why they had to change. 

IMG_9032.JPG

4 hours ago, princemuzzy said:

any ideas when we will get another announcement

It was already out by this time last year, I've been checking their social media accounts because they do respond when asked. Their responses range from "soon!" To "pretty, pretty soon" :lol: 

My guess would be it will be out within the next two weeks. 

The final announcement was disappointing earlier this week, it was "newcomers and your future favourites" which seems strange to save as the final announcement, but it was similar sized names last year. 

Yellow Claw • Roosevelt • LGoony & Crack Ignaz • Alma • Sigrid • Thomas Jack • Filous • BETSY • Alice Merton • The Him • SAINT WKND

Personally I don't recognise any but I have my ticket, the Saturday is still very good for my taste and Sunday has Foos/Xx just a shame they didn't leave any established acts for this announcement. 

IMG_9144.JPG

Edited by alexlloyd

• 1 month later...

If we watch the timetable for previous editions, there always were clashes between headliners. Kings of Leon / New Order, Radiohead / The 1975, Macklemore / The Libertines / Fatboy Slim, Muse / Tame Impala / Martin Garrix.
I think about going to Lolla Berlin this year mostly for Foo Fighters and The xx. How high is the chance of these two will clash, what do you think? Should I just wait until the final schedule for this year?

12 minutes ago, Mondo-kun said:

If we watch the timetable for previous editions, there always were clashes between headliners. Kings of Leon / New Order, Radiohead / The 1975, Macklemore / The Libertines / Fatboy Slim, Muse / Tame Impala / Martin Garrix.
I think about going to Lolla Berlin this year mostly for Foo Fighters and The xx. How high is the chance of these two will clash, what do you think? Should I just wait until the final schedule for this year?

That's the exact same clash I'm hoping to avoid!

The thing to point out is that last year there were two main stages and it was actually the third stage that clashed with the headliner. So e.g. Major Lazer were on Main Stage 2, then ten minutes after they'd done Radiohead came on Main Stage 1 and during Radiohead The 1975 were on the third stage. So the thing that I'm hoping is that The XX are too big to be on the 'third stage' and it'll be Hardwell who clashes with Foo's not The XX.

I would wait if I were you though, the change in location again means they may have a completely different layout/amount of stages this year, but I'm hoping they're smart enough to realise that a lot of people will want to see both The XX and Foo Fighters.