Caravan awning question

Mr Cake

Our group have hired a caravan to take to the festival this year. It comes with the option of having an awning with the hire.  Just wondering if it would be a good idea to have this or just extra hassle?  Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Cake said:

Our group have hired a caravan to take to the festival this year. It comes with the option of having an awning with the hire.  Just wondering if it would be a good idea to have this or just extra hassle?  Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated. 

it'll probably double the under-cover space you have at the caravan. The answer to your question comes from you knowing whether you'd find that extra space useful or not. 

One use for it might be if one or more of you wakes earlier than the others it gives him/her/them somewhere to go where they won't disturb those still asleep.

But only you will know how useful you might find it..

Caravan awnings are nicknamed 'divorce in a bag' so make sure you know how to put it up.

how many are going and what berth caravan is it? You may find at least one person will end up sleeping in the awning if space is tight.

a 5 berth will only really sleep 2 adults and 2 children in any sort of comfort, 

I love at festivals having got my caravan and awning set up just to sit and watch others arrive and start to set theirs up.  As Smeble says, "Divorce in a Bag."

Awnings are brilliant if you know how they work and have got the hang of them,  They can be great social areas and, in my case, a place to pop outside for a fag as I don't smoke in my van. 

But if you are dealing with a new awning really read the instructions carefully before you start putting it up.

Thanks for the advice will now order the awning with the hire.  As my good lady is not coming this year (due to exams) I don't have to worry about the divorce part.  Couple of us are fairly experienced campers and practical so as long as we don't go to mental on the inebriants as soon as we arrive (which we normally do) we should be ok.  

a good choice to take the awning..... i would be lost without mine..

Find out if it comes with a ground sheet and if not pick one up.. it will stop you walking crap into the van if it is wet.

We have also used ours as sleeping space which is very handy.