Arriving on the wednesday

Newtofestivals

Wednesday arrival is essential. Loads of bars open, you need to take the day to walk around the site as well (especially if it's your first one), some venues open at night also, fireworks + bonfire but they're a bit shit in all honesty, you need to be there on Wednesday to get a not shit camping spot, an extra day eating Glastonbury food is always good.

Wednesday and Thursday are my two favourite days at Glastonbury. If you can, do everything you can to arrive on the Wednesday. Witness the beauty of it from the start. Pitch up, have a celebratory drink or 10, go for a little/massive stroll, get up the hill by the Glasto sign late afternoon/early evening with some supplies, enjoy the view, be amazed.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Wednesday arrival is essential. Loads of bars open, you need to take the day to walk around the site as well (especially if it's your first one), some venues open at night also, fireworks + bonfire but they're a bit shit in all honesty, you need to be there on Wednesday to get a not shit camping spot, an extra day eating Glastonbury food is always good.

I think the fireworks are pretty good! It's like a celebratory welcome/introduction! I fucking love being up that hill on the Weds. What's that little wooden bar called again by the sign?

Wednesday/Thursday are the perfect warm up days, especially if you've never been like me last year. Gives you the chance to get to know the rough layout of the site, loads of stuff to see/do while you're at it. Plus when the festival proper starts on Friday you get the best "I've been here for two days and it hasn't even properly started yet" feeing. 

Is it June yet? 

Edited by The Orgazoid

5 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I think the fireworks are pretty good! It's like a celebratory welcome/introduction! I fucking love being up that hill on the Weds. What's that little wooden bar called again by the sign?

Fireworks are alright as long as you're not daft enough to actually go to the stone circle to watch them. Saw them from our tent this year... about 20 minutes after finally getting pitched, fuck the trafficpocalypse and mudpocalypse and lawngettingtoodrunkonthebustohandlethetentpocalypse.

12 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Fireworks are alright as long as you're not daft enough to actually go to the stone circle to watch them. Saw them from our tent this year... about 20 minutes after finally getting pitched, fuck the trafficpocalypse and mudpocalypse and lawngettingtoodrunkonthebustohandlethetentpocalypse.

Hahah too right. I didn't go in 2016, but this year I'll be doing my usual set off from Black Country before 11pm on the Tuesday. Glasto starts as soon as I finish work on a Tuesday! Bollox to that Wednesday traffic. Yeh only really go to the Stone Circle well after fireworks or early hours.

1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

Isn't that the Tricketts Bar?

5 hours ago, rubenz said:

Remember to pace yourself on the booze on Wednesday and Thursday mind as all too easy to get over excited and still a long way to go!

Nah!  Overdo it Wednesday,  recovery Thursday,  fine to go again by Friday.... That's the way to do it! 

Watching the fireworks around the tent is an essential part of my wednesday... even if Im too fucked to see them properly.

As for the journey in 2016.... easiest ever. Yes we had a 2 hour wait about a mile and half from the fest car park site, but we had no queue to get into the site proper. All pitched up by 8:15am.

The way home was the worst ever leaving the car park. Got to the car at 1pm, got out of the car park at 5. Got home at about 11pm.

I love the Wednesday! There's such a buzz of anticipation across the site for the fun that lies ahead. Perfect chance to get settled, get your bearings and explore a bit before the site reaches full capacity. Do everything you can to get there on Wednesday.

A couple of our friends have decided to come down on Thursday this year, I don't really understand that but each to their own. The rest of us will be getting merry on the hill Wednesday night, hopefully following a day full of sunshine and beers. We may yet convince them to change their mind nearer the time.

There is so much more to Glastonbury than the billed entertainment. Enjoy every second of it, especially if it's your first year. It's a truly magical place. 

Wednesday's going to be very different this year as it's my first solo outing, so I'm planning to get stuck into the Green Fields this year.  I'll be the one trying to follow yoga instructions with a party cigarette in my gob and a bottle of rum hanging out of my pocket.

But yes, I think Wed / Thu have become my favourite days.  Getting the tent set up and then wandering around taking it all in, watching people arrive, the growing buzz around the place, and getting slowly and happily spangled.

The first year I went I walked through those gates and could not quite believe what I was seeing once we had set up. Glastonbury looks amazing in the daytime but come night. well it's a completely different story. I just love how it feels like a completely different festival after dark.

We went back to the tent around midnight, and most of my group said they usually got an earlyish night on the first. I stepped out of the tent, looked across the farm and said fuck that, see you tomorrow. Things are happening from the minute you get there, just ramble all night...I had the time of my life doing that. Meeting strangers, experiencing whatever I felt like.

I love the Wednesday & Thursday, because you know your at the most amazing party in the world and it is all about to start!

Wednesday is for arriving, getting your shit together and if your new, getting your bearings - if not new its for getting blasted into the sky. I usually sleep most of Thursday, get kite'd once again in the evening then relax sitting in my deckchair next morning watching Friday arrivals trying to a pitch bell tents into a 1 sq metre of grass.  

This will be I think my 18th Glastonbury in 30 years,  I never bore of waking face up in a far flung field covered in morning dew at 5am and doing the walk of shame back to wherever the hell I pitched my tent, usually Saturday morning.

Anyways, VIVA WEDNESDAYS!

Wednesday is by far the best day.

Let the handbrake off and the rest will take care of itself.

Don't listen to anyone who says "take it easy". Go welly deep (hopefully not in the muddy sense of that phrase) and leave all of your worries outside of the fence.

Wednesday is a great day. You cannot beat the thrill of arrival. Even last year with the mud (which sadly I ended up face down in at one point!) It was a voyage of discovery and the Rum Shack was in full flow with John Fairhurst and load of other acts too. 

Unless the rest of my lot can get lucky in the resale I'll be on my own for the first time and cannot wait to wend my own way around the farm.