Glastonbury through the years

JJShreeve

Hi all, I'm a trainee journalist and putting together a piece on Glastonbury through the years. I'm looking for people who have experienced it in different decades or even every decade to see how it has changed (1970s, 80s, 90s, 2000s and 2010+). This would involve a brief phone call and any photos you may have.

If you would be happy for me to contact you in the near future please comment below with the year or years you to went to Glastonbury and I may be in contact very soon!

On 08/01/2017 at 8:45 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

@glasto-worker has plenty of photos from the old days.

I've only been going since 97, a relative newbie :)

I do but they are paper photos { and negatives } so transferring them would be a right pain in the arse and I just don't have the time to scan them and I am involved in a lengthy Court battle just now { Civil Court } and this may drag on for Months so the time is not right for me. 

5 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I do but they are paper photos { and negatives } so transferring them would be a right pain in the arse and I just don't have the time to scan them and I am involved in a lengthy Court battle just now { Civil Court } and this may drag on for Months so the time is not right for me. 

That's a fair enouh reason in anybody's books. Best of luck with the court case glasto-worker.

On 03/01/2017 at 2:35 AM, bamber said:

Bingo!

I saw an Oak Tree, split in two, by a lighting bolt at Glastonbury once. I've never encountered anyone reliable to corroborate that story, but I'm sure it happened? Please help. (84/85 ish)

My brother and his mates would have been there about then, I think (I'm hopeless with dates I'm afraid to say). No harm in asking the question though, is there? I'll now pop off and send an email to my brother and one of his mates, who became my mate (hence me having his email address).

In the meantime if anybody in a white coat asks you questions then look in to their eyes and start laughing out loud.

12 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

I think the old days of pre-digital photos are a problem for a lot of us.  I used to use things like disposible cameras as I didn't want to risk anything decent being nicked/lost.

Good luck in court.

12 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

That's a fair enouh reason in anybody's books. Best of luck with the court case glasto-worker.

thanks for both your best wishes - its a right pain and is very time consuming.

I know what you mean about cameras 

I used to use a Nikon F2 SLR  { part of their professional range } with various lenses - at the time that camera case { a 3 foot square metal case } was worth a fortune so it meant that
I just could not risk leaving it in the tent { or car - we used to park beside the tent } and there was no handy lock up's at the time.

When you add in the cost of developing it was not the way it is now - so most of the time 
it was not a quick snap { although I don't think I had my tripod with me at the helicopter }

All I can say is all three were taken in the 80's but as to which year I don't have a clue.

All I know for sure is ' its not 1989 because by then the guy beside me had emigrated to Thailand and as there was no Glasto in 1988 - they have to be between 1982 and 1987 { for sure its not 1981 because they could not get the CND logo onto the pyramid }

Now I have a mate who used to go with me and he owned a camera that was very advanced for its time a Minolta 7000 - that came out in 1985 and that had a trick - it would print the date on the photo - so before I drop down dead I can use his paper images to sort out some of my paper images.

each year there used to be a large bunch of us so by going though the negatives I can sort them into different years because some years friend X or Y could not make it though his/her work .

just a shame there was not digital when I started going and then it would be simple - just a click of a mouse.  Now when I started with the WBC in 1989 things were much easier because with crew camping having its own security it meant that I did not have to lug all my SLR gear about with me and over time I started using a small digital.

worker5-2.jpgwork55er5.jpgworke445.jpg

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I used to use a Nikon F2 SLR  { part of their professional range } with various lenses - at the time that camera case { a 3 foot square metal case } was worth a fortune so it meant that
I just could not risk leaving it in the tent { or car - we used to park beside the tent } and there was no handy lock up's at the time.

When you add in the cost of developing it was not the way it is now - so most of the time 
it was not a quick snap { although I don't think I had my tripod with me at the helicopter }

All I can say is all three were taken in the 80's but as to which year I don't have a clue.

All I know for sure is ' its not 1989 because by then the guy beside me had emigrated to Thailand and as there was no Glasto in 1988 - they have to be between 1982 and 1987 { for sure its not 1981 because they could not get the CND logo onto the pyramid }

Now I have a mate who used to go with me and he owned a camera that was very advanced for its time a Minolta 7000 - that came out in 1985 and that had a trick - it would print the date on the photo - so before I drop down dead I can use his paper images to sort out some of my paper images.

each year there used to be a large bunch of us so by going though the negatives I can sort them into different years because some years friend X or Y could not make it though his/her work .

just a shame there was not digital when I started going and then it would be simple - just a click of a mouse.  Now when I started with the WBC in 1989 things were much easier because with crew camping having its own security it meant that I did not have to lug all my SLR gear about with me and over time I started using a small digital.

Is that you wearing the hot pants in the third photo GW? Very fetching

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Hi @glasto-worker I reckon they are from 1987. I've looked through the Glastonbury website history photos, the only one I can find with the same orange cover around the speakers is that year, all the others have different colours (See photo on page 2 photos of 1987)

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Hi @glasto-worker I reckon they are from 1987. I've looked through the Glastonbury website history photos, the only one I can find with the same orange cover around the speakers is that year, all the others have different colours (See photo on page 2 photos of 1987)

I thought 87 too, I was there but I remember it as a wet one pretty much from the Wednesday.

Just now, Ted Dansons Wig said:

I believe they're earlier - 81 or 82.

Don't think it's 81, was a scorcher, can't remember 82 at all, 89 was also a scorcher from start to finish.  Hard to tell if it's scorchio from the pics though except for the guy in a donkey jacket. :)

1 hour ago, Kizzie said:

Don't think it's 81, was a scorcher, can't remember 82 at all, 89 was also a scorcher from start to finish.  Hard to tell if it's scorchio from the pics though except for the guy in a donkey jacket. :)

Admire your memory Kizzie - though I THINK 81 only got really hot towards the end (I remember it was red hot when we were trying to hitch home on the Monday). You may be right about the year though - some of the early years the CND sign used to be to the left of the stage rather than up top as in GW's photos. Memory far too rocky to to be sure which years that was mind.

47 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Admire your memory Kizzie - though I THINK 81 only got really hot towards the end (I remember it was red hot when we were trying to hitch home on the Monday). You may be right about the year though - some of the early years the CND sign used to be to the left of the stage rather than up top as in GW's photos. Memory far too rocky to to be sure which years that was mind.

I was thinking how the hell do I remember remembering these things when I can't remember what I had for tea an hour ago.  I think I remember most of the past by the cars I had and photos that I thoughtfully dated when I was much younger and had the time to sort them out.  I used to live and breath Glastonbury and all it stood for, nowadays I get through it with Ibuprofen. :D

17 hours ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Is that you wearing the hot pants in the third photo GW? Very fetching

yes it is ' although I will let you away with the hot pants '

We were walking and all of a sudden a Helicopter landed - amazingly there was no Security about so we just walked in { did not have to climb any fence - we just walked into that field }  - on the right { out of shot } was a very small marquee and the Pilot was sitting there drinking a cup of tea.

Now year later when I used to get a Backstage pass { when the backstage area got huge } even with a pass there is no way could I have got that close.

I know exactly which year I ended up with my first official pass - it was in 1983 - I am good friends with Fish [ used to be lead singer of Marillion } - they were there ' but we had not arranged anything ' - I walked up to a Security guard and asked him to pass on a note and amazingly he did so Derek came out { I don't call him Fish because I knew him before he started being called that } with a pass for me - at that time the Backstage area was tiny .

Can you imagine doing that now ? - they would tell me to bugger off. 

15 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

15 hours ago, Kizzie said:

I thought 87 too, I was there but I remember it as a wet one pretty much from the Wednesday.

15 hours ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

I believe they're earlier - 81 or 82.

sorry if I missed anyone out .

now the two Pyramid images were clearly taken the same year but there is a hint on my waistcoat { which would be difficult to zoom in on } and that may have been a different year 

but at least that year can limit the time down { going on what is on the waistcoat }

John { the guy on the right } was not there in 1982 nor 1983 and if I am correct it was either 1986 or 1987 

below is not my image but if you look very close ' I made a badge up from the 1986 ticket and that can be seen on the right hand side of my waistcoat so it cant be before 1986.

we could drive ourselves nuts 

+ I have a feeling the two pyramid shots ' did not remain like that - I reckon they took the covers of the speaker stacks.

I cant recall when they stopped cars getting in { I was not a Punter then so my car access was different in 1989 }

so lets settle on ' the late 80's '

once I have time I will track down the images shot by Kevin { as I know he does have the dates printed on the image }

glasto-86-ticket.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/01/2017 at 6:52 PM, Ted Dansons Wig said:

82 was very wet