FatboySlim,time he HL'd Other Stage

Uh-Oh!

47 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think he did it about 5 years ago, didn't he?

yeah didn't he hand out them Glasses that made everything look like a smiley face

sat in the stone circle later that night looking at the whole site was very trippy

2 hours ago, Untz said:

You're assuming that he wants to headline the stage rather than doing all those small sets in awkward places. Judging by the fact he keeps turning up year after year doing all those places makes me think otherwise. I don't blame him really. Probably a lot more fun.

I think it's probably him doing venues that mean you have to turn up early for them that keeps his appeal there. If he did another big open slot that was easy to see and not avoid the appeal would go a bit I think be he always clashes so you could attend 3 Glastonbury's and still not see him.

39 minutes ago, justperfect said:

Was ridiculously busy when he played the gully last year.I Was attempting to get to my tent for evening supplies and it took an age to get through his crowd. It is literally the only way to get to those particular feilds. Bad planning

Yes remember that very well, security posted around the edges to stop anyone else getting in

There is certainly an argument for a bigger stage than has been the case - due to planning issues like has been said. But Other stage is pushing it way too far.

I have seen FBS at various festivals over the years and I have to say this year at bestival was the most enjoyable. Mainly due to the fact I was absolutely slaughtered and he was pretty much the only thing available on a fairly bleak Sunday night. FBS is an act that you have to have the right expectations for, but when in the right frame of mind he isnt as bad as people like to make out.

Will there ever be a time he just plays his songs again?

Caught Fatboy Slim this year but getting into the tent was difficult and I was right at the back. He is a good alternative if you're not too fussed about the bands on the other main stages at the time. I thoroughly enjoyed the set and headed off for James Blake afterwards. A great Saturday night. 

FBS has got to be one of the most over rated djs in history.  His set in the stone bridge the other year sounded horrific and his big EDM sets at places like Ultra are the stuff of nightmares.

Seems a nice chap mind and not trying to be negative but not really my cup of tea.

Coining the name fat boy slim was a stroke of genius though 

Edited by rubenz

57 minutes ago, rubenz said:

FBS has got to be one of the most over rated djs in history.  His set in the stone bridge the other year sounded horrific and his big EDM sets at places like Ultra are the stuff of nightmares.

Seems a nice chap mind and not trying to be negative but not really my cup of tea.

Coining the name fat boy slim was a stroke of genius though 

Over rated based on what? His technical ability is absolutely out standing. I have seen him a few times over the years and it was a different genre of music every time. He plays to the crowd. 

Now his choice in tunes has not been to my tastes a few of the times I have seen him, yet over rated is not something I would ever suggest he was. Last time I seen him was at parklife and he pulled off a great set. Compared to Mark Ronson who was on before him, he was light years ahead. Mark Ronson could not mix gravy and had absolutely no comprehension of what djing actually is.

FBS might have pulled off a ropey set gere and there but every dj has. Technically he is spot on though.

43 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Over rated based on what? His technical ability is absolutely out standing. I have seen him a few times over the years and it was a different genre of music every time. He plays to the crowd. 

Now his choice in tunes has not been to my tastes a few of the times I have seen him, yet over rated is not something I would ever suggest he was. Last time I seen him was at parklife and he pulled off a great set. Compared to Mark Ronson who was on before him, he was light years ahead. Mark Ronson could not mix gravy and had absolutely no comprehension of what djing actually is.

FBS might have pulled off a ropey set gere and there but every dj has. Technically he is spot on though.

Just never really got the Fatboy Slim thing. I guess he can be a good crowd pleaser/festival DJ and appeals to a broad range of people but never really understood the hype. Even the biggest fan would have to admit that he hasn't put out much in the way of decent new music in recent years and still wheels out all the old samples etc from 20 years ago. I havn't seen him do any smaller sets to be honest and have heard he can come out with some decent selections but the big stage stuff just doesn't do it for me.

I suppose my real beef with the Fatboy nowadays is that sometimes he just looks like he is doing stuff for the money. Appreciate that is what a lot of DJs do but I like to think the best ones play new music that they are passionate about and continue to reinvent themselves. You can't watch the first 10 minutes of the video below and tell me that he is really into the stuff he is playing, it seems pretty cynical to me (plus it makes my ears hurt)

There are plenty of DJs who have been around a long time such as Sasha, Carl Cox etc who play mostly new music and are still coming up with some interesting productions and I guess I admire these guys more.

1 hour ago, Tr234 said:

Isn't he trrying to play every stage at the festival?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've read this is his aim. 

I saw him at Glasto the first year i went (2015 - Stonebridge I think?) and he was decent enough. Caught him at Bestival this year and he was naff - tho that might be because the Spaceport was a fucking giant letdown 

5 hours ago, justperfect said:

Was ridiculously busy when he played the gully last year.I Was attempting to get to my tent for evening supplies and it took an age to get through his crowd. It is literally the only way to get to those particular feilds. Bad planning

Yeah that was horrible. Don't know what they were thinking with that one.