2019 Festival Move

Blank Expression

3 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Lord Bathurst is called Allen Christopher Bertram Bathurst. 

Its a perfect storm.

12 miles from my house, you can all come for tea.

Be careful what you wish for.  Glenn Tilbrook did gig in, I think, Birmingham a few years ago where he led all of the audience around the hall in a conga, then went out of the door and down the street, playing like the Pied Piper, with the audience following.  As he got to one house one of the audience said: "I live there."

"Great," said Tilbrook, "You can pop in and make me a cup of tea."

He entertained the audience in the garden and surrounding street while the guy had to go in and make him a cuppa.  Tilbrook then swigged down the tea and led the conga back to the hall and finished the gig.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, denwyn said:

It's outgrown Worthy and needs scaling down. This years was a bloody nightmare, ok weather didn't help, but it's just to big now. Maybe run it alternate years if it's staying at Worthy, but much smaller.  

Time to get out and leave it to the ones who really want to be there going by your recent posts 

On 20/12/2016 at 10:23 AM, 5co77ie said:

Think it's interesting that the scrutiny report says " the council and other agencies are unable to limit their number as their existence is a result of entrepreneurism."

Adding, "These sites are organised independently and the regulatory agencies required to ensure compliance of a variety of legal requirements is not offset against any fee and no enforcement costs are currently recoverable. Equally noise nuisance, traffic nuisance and poor public safety as a result of poorly managed external campsite operations all impact on the Festival's relationship with the local community and potentially their relationship with any ticket holder that uses those facilities."

So, if something goes wrong in the external campsites Glastonbury Festival could be viewed as culpable even though it's sod all to do with them. That must be determined a risk and I wonder to what degree it's an acceptable risk.

i thought that was quite interesting myself too, even if Glastonbury are not responsible surely the council has some control over them and they are not just allowed free for all open access/flout rules? as councils are usually come down on stuff like this left, right and centre so why would they be so lax and almost leaving the work to Glastonbury (even though it's not really their job) to control... 

talk about shirking responsibility!! 

I don't know if someone has already raised this point but I'll ask anyway.

Has Michael or Emily ever touted the idea that there could be two, slightly smaller festivals running on the same weekend with the same bands? Like the Reading/Leeds weekender.

If there was another site, say near Milton Keynes, called Keynestonbury, there could be maybe only 120,000 on each site, but it would be an increase of 80,000 in general. More money for charities, less congestion/traffic etc

14 hours ago, OG said:

Time to get out and leave it to the ones who really want to be there going by your recent posts 

We are doing that for next year, last years lousy weather and conditions killed it for us. Not giving up on it entirely,have a couple of Sunday tickets and depending who is on we may just do that day. i still think its got far to big, needs a total rethink, could be a move will do it some good, cant do any harm, plus give farm a rest and local residents. 

1 minute ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

If there was another site, say near Milton Keynes, called Keynestonbury, there could be maybe only 120,000 on each site, but it would be an increase of 80,000 in general. More money for charities, less congestion/traffic etc

I know that this is completely missing your point but MK is the least Glastonbury place in the world. No offence to any residents but the bowl is an artificial soulless hollow next to a soulless town. 

Back to your point I don't think that would work - R&L are very much a commercial outfit, benefit from economies of scale etc etc, having dual sites would very much detract from the Glastonbury USP in my opinion.

36 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

Has Michael or Emily ever touted the idea that there could be two, slightly smaller festivals running on the same weekend with the same bands? Like the Reading/Leeds weekender.

I don't think it's impossible that's one of the possible ideas they have for the 'new' festival on a different site.

It's probably the case that they want to get one 'new' festival done before they fix any plans beyond that, but plans beyond that could be any way of working it with the main festival that you could think up.

43 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

Some headline worthy bands are already thought to be passing on Glastonbury due to the reduced fee. Therefore they'd need to pay more to convince bands to play twice which probably prevents this from being a viable option I would have thought.

9 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Could work as well. Would annoy me having  two years off but it works it would be worth it in the long run.

The risk being that two years means "out of sight, out of mind" rather than "absence makes the heart fonder" and struggles to sell out when it returns.

Based on that theory there would still be a festival in 2019 just not at worthy farm. Of course if you only count Glastonbury as being at Glastonbury then yes, technically it would be two years off! I'm sure it would hurt the neighbouring land owners more than the rest of us though, which would be the idea.

21 hours ago, OG said:

Well said... Until it gets out of control like 2000 then it's fine EVEN if it did get to 2000 numbers the site would be well managed unlike it was back in the day... Before the fence of DEATH...... Lol..... 

Let's face facts Glastonbury festival wouldn't Glastonbury festival if it was a anywhere BUT Glastonbury... It'd be like saying come to the new IOW festival at Wembley 

I mean wots it gonna be..... Milton glasto Keynes....... The bullring stage....... North Pilton........ If it's not Glastonbury at Glastonbury it ain't Glastonbury end of. 

11 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Let's face facts Glastonbury festival wouldn't Glastonbury festival if it was a anywhere BUT Glastonbury... It'd be like saying come to the new IOW festival at Wembley 

I mean wots it gonna be..... Milton glasto Keynes....... The bullring stage....... North Pilton........ If it's not Glastonbury at Glastonbury it ain't Glastonbury end of. 

I couldn't agree more, but... It might still be good. I've been to festivals that do some things better than Glastonbury. If anyone has a chance of doing a good festival elsewhere, it's the team behind Glastonbury.

But don't think of it as a move, expecting Glastonbury elsewhere, you're right - if you can't see the Tor at the main stage, it's not Glastonbury.

36 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Technically Glastonbury festival has never been in Glastonbury, 

On 20 December 2016 at 5:27 PM, denwyn said:

To many people for size of area,overcrowding at large stages,to many pissed up idiots pushing and shoving,should ban all chairs form large stage areas ie. Pyramid /Other Stage/ West Holts. keep same site  area,with 25 % cut in crowd numbers and put ticket price up to cover.

You'd be looking at a more than 25% increase in ticket prices though, as you'd be having to charge smaller fees for bar and food plots because of the reduced throughput. So minimum 100 quid more on a ticket.

The Festival has a slight problem. It does not make very much money really for an operation of its size.  Since the last fallow year the set-up has grown and it seems, given the permanent staff costs and other unavoidable expenditure, that there is a big black hole money wise associated with any fallow year. There might be a desperation that results in hasty, ill-conceived relocation decisions, to try and plug that hole.

I hope it does not come to that. It is easy to say lay the staff off, let them find something different and worthwhile to do next year, worthwhile and hopefully rewarding, and let them come back re-invigorated for 2019. It is of course impossibly difficult to do that as the staff have families and local social investments now. The Festival has a  problem.

7 hours ago, bamber said:

The Festival has a slight problem. It does not make very much money really for an operation of its size.  Since the last fallow year the set-up has grown and it seems, given the permanent staff costs and other unavoidable expenditure, that there is a big black hole money wise associated with any fallow year. There might be a desperation that results in hasty, ill-conceived relocation decisions, to try and plug that hole.

I hope it does not come to that. It is easy to say lay the staff off, let them find something different and worthwhile to do next year, worthwhile and hopefully rewarding, and let them come back re-invigorated for 2019. It is of course impossibly difficult to do that as the staff have families and local social investments now. The Festival has a  problem.

It's a real brain drain issue. You can't expect all the staff to come back after a year off. Many of them will have new, permanent jobs.

Plus, Michael said a few months ago that he doesn't want any more fallows at his age, not enough time left for them. He may love the farm, but he really, really loves putting on festivals too.

46 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

So are we agreed that the festival can have a holiday but that it should never move.. 

Not yet.  I'll have to see what the new event is like before agreeing with that.  It might be better!

Actually, I'd agree that the festival can't move.  If you move it, it becomes a different festival.

I personally think fallow years are good. I think everyone needs a break and from ticket day onwards it can take over your life to some extent. It's a brilliant festival and I can see why everyone would want to go every year, and why the organisers would want to put it on every year, but you can have too much of  a good thing and it's always better to leave people wanting more. If the fallow years are well planned out in advance then financially it should be easy to, well, plan for.