2019 Festival Move

Blank Expression

13 minutes ago, Jamie D said:

This is annoying. I'm getting married Glastonbury weekend in 2018 on the basis it's the fallow year. We were even thinking of booking the Bimble Inn. They better not have moved it!

It's so frustrating that in this age of click bait, all news sources, including the BBC, are stating that the festival is moving. When in fact it's not. There is going to be an additional festival when it's not usually on. But that's not a great headline.

To be fair to the BBC, Michael has always couched the alternative site as a 'move', whereas Emily has always sold it as a new event from the same team in a different place. They've both been consistent on their different approaches.

Why this is, we can only make educated guesses. My belief is that Emily has the punters in mind, and Michael's audience is all the local people causing him difficulties.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I am well Confused - I should have nailed him on Tuesday 21st June 2016 when he attended the WBC Anniversary party onsite at Glastonbury as I know him well but there was a long line of people getting a selfie with him  - I was just about to grab him when the WBC Chairman called me up on the stage and by the time the presentation had finished he had slipped away in his Landrover so I never got a chance to speak to him.

Time will tell what the hell is going on.

I do wonder if Emily is sat at home going "What's dad said now?!"

I'm tempted to wait for Emily to come out and say something first. Emily clearly wants to host a festival every year, Michael wants to have a fallow year every 5th year (and maybe more often now?). Its either Michael has been tasked with finding a fallow year site or Emily's doing it and Michael is speaking in broader terms about a new site and combined with his usual 'not entirely accurate' statements and the Press having some old information, it's come out as moving in 2019.

The news they're looking for a new site for a fallow year to host a festival is nothing new. Considering all the comments around trying to fit 2 years music into one year for 2017, I'm inclined to think this is for 2018.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/dec/19/glastonbury-festival-to-move-from-worthy-farm-in-2019-says-founder?CMP=share_btn_tw

The Guardian have got their numbers all of a mess, saying the next festival is in 2018.

If 2018 isn't a fallow year that will be six years in a row. 2017 was originally supposed to be the fallow year -  remember that it was moved to 2012 because of the Olympics - but has already been bumped to 2018 once. 

It is the last Cornbury festival at Great Tew in 2017. It is 98 miles by road from Worthy Farm. I do not think it is a big enough site, but not sure how much of the estate the current festival uses.

Edited by GMF

As soon as I saw the article my take on it was the bbc were mixed up and the move would possibly happen for 2018, then back to somerset for 19. 

Be nice to have no fallow years hey , possibly even take some heat off ticket day but I doubt it! :) 

Also as mentioned above, gives them more negotiation when it comes to those other greedy land owners if they have another alternative site.  think 19 other farmers in total own the land. 

Edited by joeltg

5 hours ago, 5co77ie said:

seems a bit too long sighted to be talking 2023 though

Unless Michael or better yet Emily actually confirm a year, I don't think we can be confident of any date. Remember that until about 6 months ago, nobody knew for sure when the next fallow year would be, and at one point it was scheduled to be 2016.

It could be that they've found something they can turn around in time for the 2018 fallow year. It could be they're looking at something in such and early stage that'll take 5+ years to properly plan. Or it could be they push the currently scheduled fallow year back by 1 or 2, or add an extra one in.

If GFL do find a site that they feel they can run a suitable Festival on, then the need to run at Worthy Farm so often becomes much less urgent, so instead of a fallow year once every 6 years, they could realistically go to once every 4 years (or less) without stopping the GFL machine. I could certainly understand if the locals and/or GFL felt that one (in addition to 2018) was owed, given the fact that the Festival have been holding them ever infrequently and the massive disruption caused this year.