TRNSMT Festival 2017

dentalplan

Taking over from discussion in the old T forums. New event replacing TITP reported to be taking place 7th-9th July at Glasgow Green. Not much by way of confirmed info but it seems like something's happening. Newspaper rumours strongly suggesting Radiohead. Also that Coldplay have been approached. The Cure are a rumour from somewhere else. So yeah, discuss here.

Festival will probably take on a different name when announced so if this thread could be renamed when that's confirmed, cheers.

Edited by dentalplan

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, harryomatic said:

What day are The Killers playing BBK? Obviously BBK has a twin festival so they'll be playing both - could make it difficult to get up to Glasgow as well for 3 nights on the trot.

Well BBK runs Thursday to Saturday and I think they're actually ruled out of NOS Alive now as all their headliners seem to be announced. However a poster with a great record of BST info says they're doing a night there which would be ok either the Friday or Saturday, leaving them in the country and with Sunday free.

Interesting that all of this came out when i was on holiday, and then busy in work, so only just getting a chance to post.  Might stick some info in the TITP forum as well (if i get a chance) as info that's not related to this event.

Glasgow Summer Sessions - very unlikely to go ahead next year as the council agreed for a max of 3 days of popular music (very loose term this) and 2 days of other music (think classical/opera/musical/theatrical) when the license was first talked about, haven't seen anything that would change this.  With the Green Day gig on that would reduce GSS to only 2 days and with the new GG17 it would be overkill.  but i think there could well be another large gig at Bellahouston in the summer.

Green Day 4th July - it's promoted locally by PLC but the parent is AEG, so just using a local agent as easier to then deal with all of the paperwork involved. Likely crowd limit of around 35~38k for this.

Glasgow Green 2017 - there are a lot of talks already going on for this, on the planning side, so although not yet confirmed it's very likely to happen, the Scottish government wont want to loose the "we have a big music fest" status, Glasgow council are skint so any money they can get from the park hire they will take and it'll look good for them.

There is not any other parks in/near the city center that would be as good as GG or Bella, and with a gig already on at Bella it's unlikely they would get approval to use it for a full weekend as well.

Also we should think about the fact that Glasgow is really "gigged-out", it has been for the last 14~16 months when there are big bands playing that are not selling out. when it was the SECC there was about 50 large gigs a year, first year of the Hydro it was used for 160-ish nights. in the local area there are just not enough people with the cash to attend all of these gigs and there is a limit to the amount of people that will travel mid-week (with time off work/school and the cost of staying over)

All of the above is not based on the quality of music/bands/people that attend - that's another topic all together....

ta, The Minion

Edited by MinionDave
spelling

7 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Well BBK runs Thursday to Saturday and I think they're actually ruled out of NOS Alive now as all their headliners seem to be announced. However a poster with a great record of BST info says they're doing a night there which would be ok either the Friday or Saturday, leaving them in the country and with Sunday free.

Forgot it was Thu-Sat for BBK. So Radiohead / ??? / The Killers. Not a bad start really.

• 3 weeks later...

U2, not a chance for a festival type event in Glasgow, production costs for them are very high so to hit the sweet spot they need to get a lot of people into the gigs.  Bellahouston with a 35~40k or even the Green with 50k wont be enough. Hampden with 60k+ or Murrayfield with over 70k are the most likely (outside chance of Parkhead or Ibrox).

Noel G is far more likely as he likes playing in Glasgow and can easily fill a 90min festival set, unlikely he'd do a stadium/outside stand-alone show as he'll not sell 35k+ tickets that easily unless he goes into hiding for a couple of years and comes back with a stonker of a new album.

Now that Xmas is done and people are getting back to work i'd expect a bit more movement on a GG event over the next 6 weeks, if there is nothing announced by end of Feb then it'll be to late to make it a large event as people will book up for other things.

Ta,  David

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

if they were going to do Scotland I'm pretty damned sure it would have been included in this morning's announcement.

You're probably correct Neil.  Maybe get indoor dates later in the year.  Have you heard anything about the Glasgow Green gigs ?

20 hours ago, Red Day said:

Noel possibly but will depend on additional date being added in London. I'd think if U2 play Scotland it'll be murrayfield or hampden. 

Can't see it being Noel, think that will just attract the sort of crowd they were trying to avoid attending these events (in other words, the clientele who ruined T's reputation in its later years).

• 2 weeks later...