Bestival is moving

themuel

7 hours ago, rseamer said:

I wonder if this event will be much smaller and designed for people on the Island? After all it's the same weekend as Bestival - which seems a big risk unless it's just a local thing.

I'd say the island population is too small to support an event bigger than a couple of thousand.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Statistically, Islanders thoroughly supported the early years, when it was happy and querky with the twist of fun and amazement. 

Then the ticket sales got bigger and more mainlanders started to come, it got dirtier, more rubbish in the campsites, more robberies. Somehow along the lines, became just another festival like the mainland.

Now we have the chance to regain the happy vibe, and hopefully keep it small and friendly. 

Turn out to be the best thing, to move Bestival away. You can keep it ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2017 at 1:23 PM, Circus-Freak said:

Statistically, Islanders thoroughly supported the early years, when it was happy and querky with the twist of fun and amazement. 

Then the ticket sales got bigger and more mainlanders started to come, it got dirtier, more rubbish in the campsites, more robberies. Somehow along the lines, became just another festival like the mainland.

Now we have the chance to regain the happy vibe, and hopefully keep it small and friendly. 

You make a fair point here - not sure that losing Bestival is the best thing, but in terms of what could be from here, I look forward to what might be on offer in it's place. I tend to find Islanders preferred Bestival to IoW Festival as the former was still much less commercial, even last year. But you are right, Bestival is a veeeery different beast to what it once was.

It's a sad shame to see it go, and it looks as though Robin Hill have already submitted redevelopment plans for tree houses and all that jazz. It was good whilst it lasted and Rob da Bank still put in more time than he has to at spots like Quay Arts.

On 19/12/2016 at 0:28 PM, shuttlep said:

I went back in 2006 or 2007, it was terrible mainly to it raining for the whole festival non stop. I would never go back to the isle of White for that reason

I may now give it another go

...it doesn't rain in the rest of the UK?

30 minutes ago, LottieRB said:

...it doesn't rain in the rest of the UK?

not for 5 days straight with no let up  in what is supposed to be the warmest festival.

(of course it does,  just bad wet memories from that festival)

• 1 month later...
On 06/03/2017 at 1:23 PM, Circus-Freak said:

Hmmm. Not really sure I agree with that statement. Especially as local IOW charities benefitted from Bestival donations and in light of the festival that is replacing it being a tribute bands thing.

Each to their own though. 

Edited by rseamer