Albums of the year 2016

FloorFiller

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a bit lapse with releases this year but I've really enjoyed all of these:

1. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial

2. Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression

3. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

4. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker

5. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree

6. Honeyblood - Babes Never Die

7. Glass Animals - How To Be A Human Being

8. Frightened Rabbit - Painting Of A Panic Attack

9. The Hotelier - Goodness

10. Bon Iver - 22, A Million

Edited by DavisO89

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Where Queen Bey at, you foul villain?

Mitski was a revelation to me as well, I popped along to her gig to see Trust Fund who were supporting, then she came out and absolutely slayed, I was an instant convert. Loving her last album as well, Townie may very well be the greatest banger of all time.

I was wondering how long it would be before your tingling Bey senses led you to my list. Truth is I loved a lot of the songs from Lemonade and I really liked the film, I just wasn't as bothered about it as an album. Without the connecting tissue the film adds I just wasn't feeling much flow or momentum between tracks tbh. Although that might have something to do with Jack White committing some pretty serious crimes against the vibe three songs in. I still think Beyoncé's self titled album is by far her best.

Just been given two CDs as a birthday present by my elder daughter- Blue and Lonesome by The Stones and a fascinating project by Show of Hands - Centenary Words and Music of the Great War.  Both highly recommended.

Narrowed my AotYs down to 40 today, but then listened to Solange and Ka, I reckon there's 42 now.

Listening to The Life Of Pablo again... for an album I hate, it does get a lot of rotation from me. Imagine being like completely in love with somebody who is so perfect for you, except they're a massive neo-Nazi, that's The Life Of Pablo.

9 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Narrowed my AotYs down to 40 today, but then listened to Solange and Ka, I reckon there's 42 now.

Listening to The Life Of Pablo again... for an album I hate, it does get a lot of rotation from me. Imagine being like completely in love with somebody who is so perfect for you, except they're a massive neo-Nazi, that's The Life Of Pablo.

Haha I gave it another listen last night and realised the same. It definitely won't be threatening my AOTY list high spots but it's probably in my top two most regularly played albums of the year along with A Moon Shaped Pool.

1. Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree

2. Beyoncé - Lemonade 

3. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

4. Solange - A Seat at the Table

5. David Bowie - Blackstar

6. Idris Ackamoor & The Pyramids - We Be All Africans

7. Frank Ocean - Blond(e)

8. Swans - The Glowing Man

9. Yorkston/Thorne/Khan - S/T

10. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled Unmastered 

It's been a pretty weak year really for me, I think I'll only be revisiting Skeleton Tree in full that often. Though I've only heard the Solange one a couple of times, and I'm loving it. I also still need to hear ATCQ and a few others. 

Songs:

1. Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree

2. Frank Ocean - Ivy

3. Beyoncé - Formation

4. Radiohead - Ful Stop

5. Solange - Cranes in the Sky

6. David Bowie - Blackstar

7. Kiran Leonard - Pink Fruit

8. Kendrick Lamar - Untitled 8

9. Nick Cave - Distant Sky

10. Floating Points - Kuiper 

7 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'd be taking a long hard look at the fact that they're perfect for you in the first place!

Although now I've gone down that road of analysis I have no idea how to relate it back to albums. I think it might mean you're Kim. I don't really know.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Late entry onto my list - finally got round to giving Temple by Matthew and the Atlas a proper listen. Likey.

What's the deadline again Swedge? :)

A week on Wednesday (28th), with a view to posting the results on the 30th/31st