Biffy Clyro

Gozpot

14 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Personally I think Biffy are an album too late for a Download headline set.  They've produced 4 quite similar albums since their more noisy ones and the latest one is IMO a bit drab and follows the same pattern as other recent ones.

I've seen them quite a few times and this tour wasn't as good as last couple and I have a feeling their popularity is on the way down.  Few dates sold out including Glasgow, which was strange.

People saying they should go back to the first three albums for a DL set are missing the point.  Those albums weren't that popular and most of the DL crowd are unlikely to know them that well.  The later stuff is the songs that have made them popular and that's likely to be the majority of the set. 

I personally don't think they're a great choice of headliner and while I like them, they aren't what I want to see as a DL headliner.  I go to DL to see bands I couldn't see at the mainstream festivals, so for me Biffy are not my cuppa at DL. Sadly, what appers to be the alternatives that night don't float my boat either.

Good luck to them but I was seriously disappointed when they were announced but I'm sure some folks will love them.

No one has said they should go back to the first three albums entirely, just that they expect more than their average set or somewhere like R&L.

Also Biffy are one of the biggest current British rock bands that could get away with playing Download, i'm more surprised it hadn't happened sooner if i'm honest, they've headlined R&L twice, Sonisphere, IoW and TITP. Was really only a matter of time until it was Download.

4 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

No one has said they should go back to the first three albums entirely, just that they expect more than their average set or somewhere like R&L.

Also Biffy are one of the biggest current British rock bands that could get away with playing Download, i'm more surprised it hadn't happened sooner if i'm honest, they've headlined R&L twice, Sonisphere, IoW and TITP. Was really only a matter of time until it was Download.

I don't totally disagree, but I think they've left it late.  And like I said, if I wanted to see them headline a festival I'd go to a mainstream one.  Main reason I ditched the regular visit to TITP was the music on offer didn't excite me and I started going back to DL because of my rock preference, and have seen Biffy more times than I can remember because they've played every mainstream festival.  I want different bands at DL and not something I can see everywhere else.

Reading the thread and on some other forums, some suggested a heavier DL set, which is their early stuff.  I doubt that'll get much of a look in.

Thought I'd have a go at a setlist. Think it would go down well at Download while still focusing on the stuff that made them popular + the new album:

1. Different People
2. That Golden Rule
3. Living is a Problem Because Everything Dies
4. Booooom, Blast & Ruin
5. Animal Style
6. Biblical
7. Modern Magic Formula
8. Howl
9. In The Name of the Wee Man
10. Sounds Like Baloons
11. The Joke's On Us
12. Bubbles
13. Who's Got A Match
14. Toys, Toys, Toys, Choke, Toys, Toys, Toys
15. Black Chandelier
16. On A Bang
17. Joy. Discovery. Invention.
18. 9/15ths
19. The Captain
20. Saturday Superhouse
21. Friends and Enemies
22. There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake
23. Many of Horror
24. Glitter & Trauma
----
25. Wolves of Winter
26. Re-arrange
27. Montains

• 2 weeks later...

1. Wolves of Winter

2. Different People

3. on a bang

4. Biblical

5. 57

6. Howl

7. Bubbles

8. Saturday Superhouse 

9. Black Chandelier

10. Friends and Enemies

11. Toys, Toys, Toys, Choke, Toys, Toys, Toys

12. That Golden Rule

13. Folding Stars

14. In the Name of the Wee Man

15. Stress on the sky

16. Medicine

17. Mountains

18. The Captain

19. modern magic formula 

20. Semi mental

21. Many of Horror

22. There's no such thing as a jaggy snake

23. Living is a problem because everything dies 

24. glitter and trauma

25. Animal style 

26. Stingin' Belle

Ellipsis                        7

Opposites                   5

Only Revolutions       5

Puzzle                          4

Infinity land                 2

Blackened sky             2

The Vertigo of Bliss    1

while that's hopeful I don't think it's out of the question that it'd be something along those lines

Edited by DirtyChorizo

15 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

I don't think it's too out of the question. Can't see as many as 26 songs though, and I'd expect The Vertigo of Bliss to be completely ignored as it's been on the tour.

Toys is a perfect song for download though and they've played it there before on the only revs tour I believe whilst not playing anything else off of the first three in the same set. But yeah I do admit that it's less likely to pop up.

They played Toys on the other festival shows that year as well though. That was a pre-Opposites tour rather than the Only Revs one, and those tours always seem to throw some cracking curveballs. Remember the pre-Only Revs tour having Hero Management at the Barras on one of the nights. It's a shame they didn't do a proper tour like that this time out. The pre-Ellipsis tour was just very much like the new tour.