Play me a song...

The Red Telephone

As winter takes its miserable grey hold on the country, let's try and spread some musical colour. Post a song that you have a particular love for that is not commonly known in the greater world. Would love folk to unearth some gems that I have not heard before..

My choice is a song I first heard back in 1992, I think. There have been at least 3 versions of it! It's one of those songs that comes on in the car or when I'm walking the dogs that I'm always glad to hear. Very simple, yet utterly effective in reminding us of the genius of art and artists and the joy they bring to our lives.

This is the original version (although not the original video, much prefer this fan version). Think I heard on Mark Goodier's Evening Session and was taken in straight away. I was shamefully completely oblivious to the fact that there no women mentioned!

Thankfully this was rectified

And then an acoustic updated version from 2006

Goes without saying another version could be recorded featuring the great losses of 2016.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice idea. And to try and stop it being moved I'll prefix mine with....

This is someone I'd love to see at Glastonbury but I don't think I've ever seen anyone else on hear mention him.

The song is Closest Thing To You I'm Gonna Find by Butch Walker. It's a stripped back version with just him on a gorgeous Telecaster. 

Butch is better known as a producer having worked on albums by Taylor Swift, Pink & Frank Turner amongst many. My favourite album of his is The Spade which he recorded with The Black Widows. Terrific party album with lots of upbeat songs but in amongst all that, there's this beautiful gem...

Great Idea. I am really loving Andy Shauf at the moment, so will go with him.

Although he isn't exactly unknown, I have never heard him on any commercial radio stations, enough for me.

Highly recommend his last album, The Party.

Edited by joeltg

Italian track. The writer just decided to make up words to sound as if they are English, to prove Italians would buy anything if they believed it to be in English. Became a Northern soul hit. 5/6 years ago IT was on TV and my mum jumped up "I have that on Vinyl"... she found it and I now have it.

Love this (great video somewhere too)

On 09/12/2016 at 0:19 PM, The Red Telephone said:

As winter takes its miserable grey hold on the country, let's try and spread some musical colour. Post a song that you have a particular love for that is not commonly known in the greater world. Would love folk to unearth some gems that I have not heard before..

My choice is a song I first heard back in 1992, I think. There have been at least 3 versions of it! It's one of those songs that comes on in the car or when I'm walking the dogs that I'm always glad to hear. Very simple, yet utterly effective in reminding us of the genius of art and artists and the joy they bring to our lives.

This is the original version (although not the original video, much prefer this fan version). Think I heard on Mark Goodier's Evening Session and was taken in straight away. I was shamefully completely oblivious to the fact that there no women mentioned!

Goes without saying another version could be recorded featuring the great losses of 2016.

That House tune is cool! Something quite gripping about it.

Sounds like he's going to break into his version of "No Scrubs" at the very end with that outro haha!!!

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:19 PM, The Red Telephone said:

I love  A House - I have the album that I bought back in the day.  I saw em a few times as a headliner and as a  support band.

I think  I saw em supporting Voice of the Beehive , but I could be wrong or was it The House of Love ?  - so so long ago

Sadly missed !

Threads by This Will Destroy You is mine

Think this is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and TWDY have to be one of the most under-appreciated bands on the planet.

Their live show is flawless and their music evokes emotions words cannot.

A night time set in the Crows Nest or the Rabbit Hole would be unreal.

What a lovely thread. Here's my contribution. 

Etienne de Crėcy's compilation 'Super Discount' kick started the French house scene in the mid 90s.  This track is his remix of Air's 'All I Need', but which was released way before the Air version came to prominence. 

It's devastatingly beautiful, and if you play it at the right time of the evening/morning it can - and does - make grown men cry. I know this. I've seen it. 

Stick with it until the acoustic guitar comes in at 4 minutes or so. 

This isn't obscure either, but I found myself returning to it again and again post Trump's election for some reason. There's something so comforting about it for me. When she finishes her choruses it's just about the most satisfying moment I've ever come across in all music. I love it so much.

For something people might not have heard; Suishou no Fune's Cherry. It's the last track on their album Prayer For Chibi. Sort of like Godspeed You! Black Emperor on weed. Meditative and haunting. It's great music to fall asleep to.

Great thread idea, loving seeing everyone's input!

Edited by CHRLY

On 15/12/2016 at 3:49 PM, White Bear said:

Threads by This Will Destroy You is mine

Think this is one of the most beautiful songs ever written and TWDY have to be one of the most under-appreciated bands on the planet.

Their live show is flawless and their music evokes emotions words cannot.

A night time set in the Crows Nest or the Rabbit Hole would be unreal.

That is gorgeous