Surf's Up

The Prodigy are touring next year and have been announced to headline The Secret Solstice Festival along with the Foo Fighters and Richard Ashcroft.

The festival is held the weekend before Glastonbury.

They haven't played at Glastonbury since 2009 and would be a great alternative to Radiohead on the Friday night.

With the dates on tour and the length of time away from the festival, are they pretty much nailed on to play with perhaps Royal Blood subbing?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with Major Lazer now being an exclusive at Reading/Leeds i was trying to think of another appropriate electronic act to headline Other one night. The Prodigy could be just that. would make sense vs. Radiohead or Sheeran (maybe not so much Foo Fighters - both pretty rAwKiN

Edited by FloorFiller

I'm always shocked to hear that they're still going tbh.  

Still, I enjoyed them in my youth, and who am I to wish deny today's crop their rambunctiousness, just because they're hilariously ancient.  

I do after all enjoy going to see Neil Young, and he's still got it.

44 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

with Major Lazer now being an exclusive at Reading/Leeds i was trying to think of another appropriate electronic act to headline Other one night. The Prodigy could be just that. would make sense vs. Radiohead or Sheeran (maybe not so much Foo Fighters - both pretty rAwKiN

Indeed, I don't see up against Sheeran. As I mentioned in another thread that PSB up against RH isn't likely but Foo's it is, Bon Iver or XX against RH isn't happening but could happen especially of it was Bon Iver against Ed. This is assuming both Bon Iver and The XX play and a little bit of what I want but also not unrealistic. 

Being that BI last played in 2009 you'd think there is a good chance of it and with Hurr/Southside and Tinderbox within the last two years there is nothing basically stopping it so if it's going to happen again you'd think now.

The Prodigy, Ed and Foo's as a set of headliners to bow out of Glasto on would be class for me. I doubt anything would get me the Other bar The Prodigy as they have possibly been the only act I'd have bothered to attend Other closing for since 09.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Pet Shop Boys appaz playing so there's them.

16 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Tbh with Major Lazer out I'm a bit stuck for an Other headliner opposite Radiohead if Prodge aren't there.

Most likely candidates for the slots imo are Bon Iver, The xx, Pet Shop Boys, alt-J, and surely none of them would be opposite Radiohead.

I think The Weeknd would do a job opposite Radiohead.

Saw them at Leeds 2009 (?) when I was a fairweather fan - absolutely loved about 5 of their tracks beforehand. That performance confirmed to me that I liked them a lot more than I thought. Such a great crowd-pleaser. So many uplifting, powerful tracks you forget about. Such energy! I remember going through a load of their tunes in the months after, and realising it was one of those groups where you're amazed when you find out certain tunes were a LOT older than you thought (Voodoo People, for one example)....I absolutely love that about music! This might not make sense. I'm veh, veh drunk....

Edited by Stokesy10

3 hours ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

Are Prodigy widely considered a metal act now then?

It's a far cry from Rezererction days that's for sure.

I'm getting old.

They aren't but they are heavily thought of as the dance act with a massive metal/rock crossover. It's probably how Download have been able to book them so much and to be able to have booked them as a headliner albeit due to a pull out when they did says quite a lot as I don't know another that is close.