Surf's Up

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw them this year in Exit, Serbia. They're so popular there, that what seemed like the whole city had come to see them. They said it's the busiest the festival and the main stage has ever been.

The whole field was jammed packed and when they started playing all hell broke loose. Loads of people panicked and tried to get out of the main stage area but had nowhere to go! It was so chocka that when you got pushed you had no choice but to move with it as you couldn't get a footing to hold your ground.....Luckily it was packed enough that you couldn't really fall to the floor. But if you did. You'd have had no chance.

Scariest festival experience of my life. Once it thinned out a bit it was OKish. But still would prefer to see them again a without being wedged in from all sides for the whole set. 

39 minutes ago, payneruk said:

Saw them this year in Exit, Serbia. They're so popular there, that what seemed like the whole city had come to see them. They said it's the busiest the festival and the main stage has ever been.

I love the way they continue to play in relatively offbeat places. They could easily do a safe arena tour every 4 years and barely leave western Europe. Current tour has taken them in 4-5 cities in Russia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Slovakia, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia., Belarus, Lithuania etc. 

They're just back from China.

53 minutes ago, payneruk said:

The whole field was jammed packed and when they started playing all hell broke loose. Loads of people panicked and tried to get out of the main stage area but had nowhere to go! It was so chocka that when you got pushed you had no choice but to move with it as you couldn't get a footing to hold your ground.....Luckily it was packed enough that you couldn't really fall to the floor. But if you did. You'd have had no chance.

Scariest festival experience of my life. Once it thinned out a bit it was OKish. But still would prefer to see them again a without being wedged in from all sides for the whole set. 

There's a story behind Serbia's love for them. They were the only proper big/ish musical act that played in Serbia in the whole '90s. Since then there is really special bond with them. Also they said in some interview in USA that their favorite festival in the world is Exit.

Edited by Nicklord

14 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Saw them at Leeds 2009 (?) when I was a fairweather fan - absolutely loved about 5 of their tracks beforehand. That performance confirmed to me that I liked them a lot more than I thought. Such a great crowd-pleaser. So many uplifting, powerful tracks you forget about. Such energy! I remember going through a load of their tunes in the months after, and realising it was one of those groups where you're amazed when you find out certain tunes were a LOT older than you thought (Voodoo People, for one example)....I absolutely love that about music! This might not make sense. I'm veh, veh drunk....

Yep saw them in 09 at Reading. Certainly overshadowed, outplayed and generally shat all over Arctic Monkeys who followed - and I'm a big fan of Arctics.

Humbug was not the best album to play live following the sheer energy of Prodigy

Edited by mjsell

12 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yep saw them in 09 at Reading. Certainly overshadowed, outplayed and generally shat all over Arctic Monkeys who followed - and I'm a big fan of Arctics.

Humbug was not the best album to play live following the sheer energy of Prodigy

The issue with this gig was though the sound at Reading was so shit for them....it wasn't good for Arctics after either which just fell a bit flat. That was kind of the moment I stopped going Reading as after 08 and 09 we were in camp and debating when to go in the arena saying we want to see bands but the sound on the stage is just shit.

Still great live. My only complaint with them is they don't always play that many from Experience and Jilted. Most people probably aren't fussed about it, but I would love to hear stuff like Break and Enter, Jericho, Full Throttle or Rhythm Of Life. I did get Charly, No Good, Everybody In The Place and Weather Experience at their MK gig though in 2010.

1 hour ago, Alan_C said:

Still great live. My only complaint with them is they don't always play that many from Experience and Jilted. Most people probably aren't fussed about it, but I would love to hear stuff like Break and Enter, Jericho, Full Throttle or Rhythm Of Life. I did get Charly, No Good, Everybody In The Place and Weather Experience at their MK gig though in 2010.

Agree with this. I personally think Jilted is out front as their best LP.  I suppose bands that have a long span of releases, they also span generations of listeners.  I know friends who love Always Outnumbered, but really are not keen on Experience/Jilted at all, which for me is funny as in my head they will always be on on the big acts which emerged directly from the rave/house scene - of which these same friends have absolutely no experience/interest in.

Edited by geoffboycott

25 minutes ago, geoffboycott said:

Agree with this. I personally think Jilted is out front as their best LP.  I suppose bands that have a long span of releases, they also span generations of listeners.  I know friends who love Always Outnumbered, but really are not keen on Experience/Jilted at all, which for me is funny as in my head they will always be on on the big acts which emerged directly from the rave/house scene - of which these same friends have absolutely no experience/interest in.

Jilted or FOTL for me.  Wasn't really a raver so Experience didn't quite do it for me, but Jilted was something else entirely.

On 12/8/2016 at 10:17 AM, The Nal said:

If 09 is anything to go by they'll be on the same time as Radiohead.

Possibly. But they went up against Blur who were the 'poppiest'/most mainstream act of the trio in 2009. Could easily see them being an alternative to Ed - I'm sure there's much more of a crossover between Radiohead and Prodigy fans than Ed and Prodigy,

If you get the options of Radiohead on Friday, The Prodigy on Saturday, and Kraftwerk on Sunday, then that is a superb set of headliners. Very much in the way Underworld, New Order and LCD worked out this year for me, and a lot of other people.

On 08/12/2016 at 2:33 PM, payneruk said:

It was so chocka that when you got pushed you had no choice but to move with it as you couldn't get a footing to hold your ground.....

Made the mistake of going to the toliet after Rolling Stones 2013.

This happened.

Didn't make it to the toilet.

The Prodigy were the first band I got in to as a kid when 'Experience' came out. 'Music for the Jilted Generation' was an amazing follow up album and then 'Fat of the Land' solidified me as a fan for life. From that point I have expected every new album to be a disappointment (just because that is what usually happens with bands) but they never were. The boys keep on making consistently outstanding and unique music and those to things, along with the fact they have now been going for over 25 years make them the best British band over the past quarter century in my opinion.

I had a terrible dilemma in 2009 but found an excellent solution.....couldn't choose between Blur and The Prodigy so got a ticket for Blur in Hyde Park which was brilliant and watched The Prodigy on The Other Stage at Glastonbury. I think that performance probably stands out as my favorite of all the 8 Glastonbury Festivals I have been to.....the set was probably about 1 hour 40 minutes (just guessing) but it felt like 20 minutes of pure elation.

I just cant wait for them to play The Pyramid Legends Slot in 2030.....Sunday afternoon carnage!

Edited by iamthegr81
Additional comment added.