Can lead booker cancel tickets?

MadScientist

50 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

I was the lead booker and basically there's someone in my group who hasn't paid me back for the deposit and owes me money on top of that. Was wondering if I'd be able to cancel the ticket to at least get some money back? 

Thanks in advance 

I was the lead booker last year and cancelled a mate's deposit (he couldn't go anymore) and the money came back to me. Hope that helps :). Good luck getting the rest of the money they owe back!

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

Yeah it's daft really. could lead to all sorts of issues. obviously in the op's case it may help her but the potential for abuse is great.

Maybe See would reinstate someone's deposit if they emailed/called and stressed that they didn't give them permission to cancel? Still very bizarre though.

I was the lead booker last year and cancelled the ticket of someone who could no longer go.  I had paid on my card and the deposit was returned to my card.  Pretty sure I also did it before the deadline as they knew a while before they wouldn't be able to make it

What would I do?  Honestly?  I get you are a student and can't afford to lose out on his deposit but I would honestly just chalk it up to experience if he is liable to play nasty about it.  Half the time Seetickets don't know their arse from their elbow so I wouldn't trust a thing they tell me

... and hopefully karma will be a bitch and he'll fall down a longdrop

3 minutes ago, Digi said:

What would I do?  Honestly?  I get you are a student and can't afford to lose out on his deposit but I would honestly just chalk it up to experience if he is liable to play nasty about it.  Half the time Seetickets don't know their arse from their elbow so I wouldn't trust a thing they tell me

... and hopefully karma will be a bitch and he'll fall down a longdrop

Ffs :( 

2 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You can but it could potentially lead to issues if the person complains.

Last year or year before there was a story on here of someone getting a text from their nobhead ex saying 'good luck on Sunday cos I've just bought you a coach ticket and will cancel it next week' or something like that. Anyway they did, the person complained. see contacted the ex who 'fessed up so they cancelled his ticket instead and reinstated the other ticket  

Yeah, that was a friend of mine. He had her reg details and booked a coach package in her name with every intention of cancelling it after the main sale, so she lost the chance of getting a ticket unless she was lucky in the resale. Total asshole move. Fortunately, See were very good about it. I think it's partly down to luck who answers the phone or reads an e-mail at See, and whether they pass it on to someone with authority to sort it, or just bounce back a standard reply. Obviously, the OP's issue is different, but I'd suggest contacting See and checking. It should be possible to sort.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Was just about to post exactly this. tell them he hasn't paid you. see what they say.

Maybe also tell him you are gonna if he doesn't give you money by a certain time

See should say that this is a third party matter and not get involved... 

Perhaps a note to his folks explaining what's happened and that you're considering cancelling his ticket might get them to pay you back on his behalf?  Underhand, maybe a little, but if he's being a dick then why not?  

At absolute worst, if you don't get the money then you don't pay off his deposit in April and your card gets refunded the money.  Or can non lead booker pay off deposit, been so long since I got lucky on tickets I actually can't remember.  

29 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

See should say that this is a third party matter and not get involved... 

Perhaps a note to his folks explaining what's happened and that you're considering cancelling his ticket might get them to pay you back on his behalf?  Underhand, maybe a little, but if he's being a dick then why not?  

At absolute worst, if you don't get the money then you don't pay off his deposit in April and your card gets refunded the money.  Or can non lead booker pay off deposit, been so long since I got lucky on tickets I actually can't remember.  

Yeah, anyone can pay off the balance.

MS, contact See and explain the circumstances. You will not be the first person to be in this position and I would expect See to be understanding. 

If, for some reason See are not helpful keep a record of the call to See. Contact your ex (preferably through a medium that easily records the contact such as email) stating your intention to cancel their ticket if they do not pay up within a reasonable timeframe (your call but I suggest 10 days). If the ex refuses to pay or fails to respond then cancel the ticket. The communication records you have will easily be sufficient evidence of you reasonable action should you ex take issue with See.

Please don't be tempted tto 'chalk it up to experience'. It's your money and you should get it back.

Yup, invoice him for it, if he doesn't pay then cancel. You're entirely in the right, nothing to worry about.

In the other case on here I think the key thing was the naughty bloke "fessed up" - ie he acknowledged he had acted fraudulently. I'd imagine if he held his ground and said it was all nonsense and she asked him to book the ticket then she cancelled See would have sided with him - he made the booking, he's the only one who is actually a customer of See, if it was his story versus hers she would have been out of luck:

20 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yup, invoice him for it, if he doesn't pay then cancel. You're entirely in the right, nothing to worry about.

Yep you're absolutely in the right here. Give him an ultimatum and if he doesn't pay you, just go to seetickets and request a refund. You don't even have to justify the request as it's your money!

11 hours ago, Dark Star said:

At absolute worst, if you don't get the money then you don't pay off his deposit in April and your card gets refunded the money. 

I'd probably take this advice. If he doesn't pay the deposit, it sounds unlikely he'll pay the full ticket price. So let time run it out and get his deposit automatically refunded back to you. You lose roughly a tenner and the rest of the money he owes you, but if he's your ex it is probably best to take the hit and move onwards with your life. 

14 hours ago, MadScientist said:

FS idk what to do. It's my ex he's refusing to give me money back he owes me. I'm a student can't afford to be £100+ down but now I'm paranoid he will complain to see and get my ticket cancelled if I cancel the ticket 

I very much doubt he can complain to See and get your ticket cancelled if he didn't book it.

Problem with waiting until April is that we are talking about a lot of money and it sounds like waiting until then is going to cause MS financial difficulties.

HalfAnIdiot has nailed it above. I would give my ex a 5 day ultimatum to pay up or you are cancelling the deposit. Email this so you have it in writing and they know precisely what your plan is. 5 days is not unreasonable. I would also ring see and explain the situation and get their take on it. Make a note of the name of the person you speak with, date and time. Ask for an email acknowledgment of the phone call.

Then go ahead and cancel the little shits deposit if he doesnt comply. Breaking up is crap enough without some prat prolonging the agony with silly little games like this.

Surely if the deposits were paid using your card it's up to you whether you cancel the ticket or not? As others have said, create an email trail, or send emails keeping him up to date with your intentions, something like

"if you don't repay the deposit of £50 in the next 10 days I'll assume you no longer want to go to Glastonbury Festival and will be cancelling your ticket"

and

"as stated in my email below, dated xxxx, as I haven't received payment I have duly cancelled your ticket. Have a nice day [fuckwit]"

I don't know about the scenario others have mentioned, but it sounds different to this one - you're 100% entitled to that deposit back, and he has no say in the matter! 

10 hours ago, DeanoL said:

In the other case on here I think the key thing was the naughty bloke "fessed up" - ie he acknowledged he had acted fraudulently. I'd imagine if he held his ground and said it was all nonsense and she asked him to book the ticket then she cancelled See would have sided with him - he made the booking, he's the only one who is actually a customer of See, if it was his story versus hers she would have been out of luck:

He was also stupid enough to send her a text gloating about it, which helped her case. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something like 'I've just bought your ticket, and I'm going to cancel it next week, good luck in the resale!'. She was able to show See that message, so he didn't have much choice but to admit it. 

1 hour ago, mr gumby said:

He was also stupid enough to send her a text gloating about it, which helped her case. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something like 'I've just bought your ticket, and I'm going to cancel it next week, good luck in the resale!'. She was able to show See that message, so he didn't have much choice but to admit it. 

So are they still friends then G?

Just now, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's the same. You just get the £35

If your ex owes you £100 + in total then £35 = approximately 1/3 of what he owes you.  If you cancel the ticket you will have £35 plus stress/worry of problems with your ticket if he makes a fuss.  Also it would be unlikely he would pay you the rest if you cancel his ticket?

Looking at it that way I would suggest cancelling his ticket as a last resort.  If he doesn't pay the balance in April then you will get the £35 refunded to you.

In the meanwhile I suggest emailing him and asking him for the money back so you have something in writing for future reference.

As someone else suggested could you try his parents? If you were on good terms with them they may pay you back instead of getting him a Christmas present. 

Sorry you're having to deal with this x