Bestival 2017

jackarmy

Heard yesterday that one of the headliners is going to be Brian Wilson celebrating the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds. It's  a pretty obscure one to just be made up from nowhere, just checked his tour dates and he's in North America until around May time - so it could be a goer.

Rob Da Bank has been bigging up The XX a lot on his Twitter feed lately too, so I would imagine that they're a good shout for one of the other nights.

I'm hoping that they'll come back with a strong undercard this year, because last year they definitely struggled!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jackarmy said:

Heard yesterday that one of the headliners is going to be Brian Wilson celebrating the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds. It's  a pretty obscure one to just be made up from nowhere, just checked his tour dates and he's in North America until around May time - so it could be a goer.

Rob Da Bank has been bigging up The XX a lot on his Twitter feed lately too, so I would imagine that they're a good shout for one of the other nights.

I'm hoping that they'll come back with a strong undercard this year, because last year they definitely struggled!

I agree it sounds too obscure to be made up but it seems odd. It was supposed to be the final time he'd play the album this year (the anniversary!) and then he tacked on a probably quite poor selling Together the People slot and a "final" performance at the RAH. Combine that with the non-headline slot he played a few years back when the line up seemed a bit more suited to him and The Cure apparently used to draw much bigger a crowd. Seems quite bizarre if you ask me, but if any festival brings the questionable headline bookings it's Bestival innit.

The xx certainly wouldn't surprise me. Must be featuring at either Latitude or Bestival and I could imagine them being Stateside during Latitude.

Does seem a bit crisis-time for Bestival if the reputational thing is wearing off and the hodgepodge lineups are being put under the microscope. The third headliner would be pretty crucial if thems the other two.

aye always thought The xx would be nailed on once they released their third album, so unless Latitude have swooped in and got them instead then they must be in with a good chance as RDB clearly thought a lot of their 2012 performance

Brian Wilson would seem a lot better booking if he hadn't played lower down previously, even if this time does come with the Pet Sounds in full tag. not a terrible headliner and i'm sure it'd be pretty special on the night, but it isn't gonna do much to save the festival, and if they continue with their hip-hop headliner as they have done in the last few years then i sure hope they've done better than Sean Paul/Wiz Khalifa or it's hard to see Bestival lasting much longer

Edited by FloorFiller

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

aye always thought The xx would be nailed on once they released their third album, so unless Latitude have swooped in and got them instead then they must be in with a good chance as RDB clearly thought a lot of their 2012 performance

Brian Wilson would seem a lot better booking if he hadn't played lower down previously, even if this time does come with the Pet Sounds in full tag. not a terrible headliner and i'm sure it'd be pretty special on the night, but it isn't gonna do much to save the festival, and if they continue with their hip-hop headliner as they have done in the last few years then i sure hope they've done better than Sean Paul/Wiz Khalifa or it's hard to see Bestival lasting much longer

It'll be Bon Iver for Latitude most likely.

On 05/12/2016 at 9:42 AM, FloorFiller said:

Agreed, it was a ghost of its former self this year, our group have quit bestival after this years disappointment  It's simply not worth the risk of travelling across the country and over water to get there, just to play Bestival roulette and potentially win the 'boutique festival' again (at the same ticket price).

These pics say it all really

1 hour ago, micropizza said:

Agreed, it was a ghost of its former self this year, our group have quit bestival after this years disappointment  It's simply not worth the risk of travelling across the country and over water to get there, just to play Bestival roulette and potentially win the 'boutique festival' again (at the same ticket price).

These pics say it all really

I quite liked the smaller mainstage. 

Agree the Spaceport was completely naff though. 

Rob Da Bank has said on Twitter that next year will see the return of some of the smaller stages that were missing last year: Swamp Shack, Club Dada, Reggae Roots, The Hidden Disco, and a new Funk n Soul venue.

However, these things aren't really the ones that will really get the punters flocking back. I think it's all about what sort of first release lineup they can deliver!

33 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Rob Da Bank has said on Twitter that next year will see the return of some of the smaller stages that were missing last year: Swamp Shack, Club Dada, Reggae Roots, The Hidden Disco, and a new Funk n Soul venue.

However, these things aren't really the ones that will really get the punters flocking back. I think it's all about what sort of first release lineup they can deliver!

Sounds the right way forward, but after this year, I wouldn't take the risk.  Unfortunately they're not truthful enough to post on their page "sorry guys didnt sell many tickets, can't afford the other venues or decent sound again, oh and we've put cans up to £7.20 for a tuborg". 

If they would have been honest this year and didn't conveniently avoid showing the main stage etc in their building bestival pics I would have avoided this one and would maybe consider 2017.  My fault for expecting them to be consistent and buying Early Birds I suppose. 

I just don't trust them now, and far too much hassle to get there not knowing what's going to be missing or back unfortunately.

We're on the lookout for somthing new to try next year instead already

Edited by micropizza

2 hours ago, jackarmy said:

And there's the problem for Bestival HQ, I would have thought.

Unless they've got some serious capital stored away somewhere, they're surely going to struggle to splash the cash on the early line-up. Massively underselling last year, aligned to what's bound to be poor earlybird sales (none of my usual gang are bothering this year), means that money must be tight so how are they going to book names to attract people back?

Must be worrying times for Bestival/Get Involved. 

I think If they get The XX it'll be a great move, their 2012 set felt very special and you'd have to assume headlining would feel like a bit of a homecoming. Would also shift a lot of tickets as they have that hype factor, the hype that Major Lazer, The Cure and Sean Paul just unfortunately don't have amongst a Bestival crowd anymore.  Think I read in the Glasto forum they may be doing Latitude though? (Although the wording was a bit ambiguous).

This year in general I was disappointed when I got there, having been to the last five - but after a few hours we'd forgotten it was scaled back and had (maybe) the best year yet. Still don't think this excuses the complete lack of information but I guess it's lose lose for Bestival either way. 

Edited by Zacko

I spent most of this years trying to find friends as even the amount phone masts seemed to be included in the cutbacks :lol:

My fav part of Bestival 2016 was the sunny day at the campsite with the swimming pool the day before we got there, don't think i came back with any memories like previous years with the giant disco ball or foals, two door cinema club, stevie wonder etc.  Not looked back at this years pics or shown any friends once.

Genuinely felt ripped off.  Unsuprisingly Bestival HQ weren't interested in any kind of part refund when I asked.    I heard other complainants were getting given free tickets though. 

So way to keep your original loyal customers Rob :thumbsd:

1 hour ago, micropizza said:

I spent most of this years trying to find friends as even the amount phone masts seemed to be included in the cutbacks :lol:

My fav part of Bestival 2016 was the sunny day at the campsite with the swimming pool the day before we got there, don't think i came back with any memories like previous years with the giant disco ball or foals, two door cinema club, stevie wonder etc.  Not looked back at this years pics or shown any friends once.

Genuinely felt ripped off.  Unsuprisingly Bestival HQ weren't interested in any kind of part refund when I asked.    I heard other complainants were getting given free tickets though. 

Stevie Wonder was absolutely incredible wasn't he? Glasto was amazing enough and I thought he somehow topped that. 2012 was definitely the high point for Bestival (I may have had a bit more fun this year, that was only because of having a big group). 

Edited by Zacko

13 hours ago, micropizza said:

Why would you assume that you should be entitled to any sort of refund? Slightly confused by that.

I didn't go this year because the line up didn't really do much for me (bar the odd act)- hopefully Rob can pull it out of the bag & make a huge success of it in 2017 because if not I don't foresee Bestival surviving beyond that. 

I think I'm entitled a least a part refund because if you buy a ticket for the 6th year in a row for the same price but arrive to find half the stuff is missing and its been completely changed without being told, it's misleading. 

I wasn't given the opportunity to choose if i wanted to go to the smaller 'boutique festival' because they didn't tell any ticket buyers that it was going to be smaller. 

I'm sure people would complain (like most of Bestivals 2016 reviews on FB) if they bought their Glastonbury ticket, arrived, and they didn't bother decor'ing the site, and some fields were empty or big stages replaced by little community festival ones.

4 hours ago, micropizza said:

I think I'm entitled a least a part refund because if you buy a ticket for the 6th year in a row for the same price but arrive to find half the stuff is missing and its been completely changed without being told, it's misleading. 

I wasn't given the opportunity to choose if i wanted to go to the smaller 'boutique festival' because they didn't tell any ticket buyers that it was going to be smaller. 

I'm sure people would complain (like most of Bestivals 2016 reviews on FB) if they bought their Glastonbury ticket, arrived, and they didn't bother decor'ing the site, and some fields were empty or big stages replaced by little community festival ones.

Fucking hell, that's some sense of entitlement you've got going on there. 

15 hours ago, micropizza said:

No you bought your ticket based on a festival & a lineup (subject to change) just like everyone else... Why should you be entitled to any sort of refund above anyone else...

'

“Hot off the press – yes Bestival is moving! We can confirm we have submitted a licence application for a new site at the Lulworth Estate in Dorset and we’re super excited about our shiny new Bestival adventure. We have an incredible line-up, headliners confirmed and ridiculous new stages and installations coming your way in 2017. 

We remain fully committed to supporting the Isle of Wight through music, charities and projects and will be giving Islanders an exclusive ticket offer for the new site. Plus we’re working towards a new event for the Island. Watch this space…” Rob da Bank

Think it's a good move to up sticks and go to Dorset. The travel was always been the gripe about the one year I did go there. The isle of Wight is great, but also not an inexpensive place to spend a lot of time getting to. I've heard good things about Camp Bestival, so they should hopefully be able to transfer the experience across without too much upheaval. 

Hot off the press – yes the Isle of Wight is moving! We can confirm we have submitted a licence application for the Island to be permanently attached to Dorset in 2017 and we’re super excited about our shiny new Mainland adventure. We had an incredible time as a piece of land surrounded by water, but the mechanics of being an island just don't work in the 21st century.

On 14/12/2016 at 0:17 PM, hoils said:

Fucking hell, that's some sense of entitlement you've got going on there. 

Turns out Bestival agreed as i've been contacted with an offer today though.

13 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

No you bought your ticket based on a festival & a lineup (subject to change) just like everyone else... Why should you be entitled to any sort of refund above anyone else...

I bought a ticket based on previous versions of the Festival that had completely changed, and I didn't know the lineup as gave them the benefit of the doubt they wouldn't be halving the budget and would have similar quality.

I'm not rich and it's a let down when I spent money on something that was nothing like advertised and expected (no mention of the downsize or anything in the lead up) and get taken for a ride.  You lot might have hundreds to spend on something that turns out to be completely different and just go "oh well" but I didn't.  So I complained, and got a result.