2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

4 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Three new releases that I've been eyeing up for a while now were out today. Here's what I think of all of em:

The XX, I See You: Really great album, can't wait to see them subbing Radiohead now (which will definitely happen)

Bonobo, Migration: Can't get on with this one. Yes the production is great but I just find it really dull in places and Break Apart really gets on my wick.

The Flaming Lips, Oczy Mlody: Five tracks in and already this is intriguing me in a "not sure if it's bad or good" kind of way. Really enjoyed We A Family, will probably take me a couple of listens to figure out what I think about this one.

These are the 3 I've been looking forward to for a long while too. 

Only managed to listen to The XX so far (which I love). Kerala by Bonobo was a great single, presuming the rest doesn't match up?

14 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

After a few first listens my initial favourite of today's new album releases is the Flo Morrissey / Matthew E White one.

Interesting, i'd read lots of good things about, and was all ready to love it, by rights it should have been right up my strasse, but when i actually gave it a play, i found it intensely annoying.  

On 13/01/2017 at 1:16 PM, mjsell said:

Wiley's album is surprisingly very good.

"Fuck you and Fuck your Farm" * is forever my favorite quote regarding the Glastonbury Festival

*(Wiley)

* misquoted

Edited by bamber
  • Upvote 1

Yep that Wiley album has got better on every listen. 

Had never heard of Bonobo until reading through some threads on here - had no idea what to expect but was quite pleasantly surprised. I did fall asleep while listening to it though - which actually isn't as much of an insult as it sounds

On 13/01/2017 at 9:50 PM, nikkic said:

These are the 3 I've been looking forward to for a long while too. 

Only managed to listen to The XX so far (which I love). Kerala by Bonobo was a great single, presuming the rest doesn't match up?

Yeah I agree, Kerala is a great single which got me really excited for the album but I just felt as though most of the other tracks just went on for too long and added nothing to the excitement of the single. Might give it another shot.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

New Cloud Nothings and Ty Segall out there. I hope the rest of the year is as good for new releases as January has been already!

New Ty Segall is awesome as always - hoping he's booked for the festival!

New Cloud Nothings I'm really not sure on. Pretty far cry from their old stuff and on first listen a lot of it sounded like a bog standard pop/punk album

23 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I've lined up Wiley, Bonobo and Rose Elinor Dougal for my week ahead; that's balance that is.

The Rose Elinor Dougal record is OK, with the first track especially good. Need to give it another spin really.

Listened to most of the Bonobo record this morning, and also enjoyed it. Not a drastic step forward or change of direction, but good stuff nonetheless. Interesting that he's using more vocals now.

20 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Had the new Bonobos album on this morning,  lovely stuff 

Yeah - I'm really liking it too, Mez. I don't usually go for a lot of the more 'relaxed' dancey electronica, but he's clearly got it when it comes to hooks and songwriting, so most of the tracks are really landing with me...

Very much hoping he plays the Farm. With a full band.

Ben

Bonobo album is really well produced, really crisp. Having never heard anything from him before it was really nice that is getting repeat listens.

Favourite album of the recent releases is still The XX's though. Not for everyone but definitely for me.

Giving a listen to the new album from SOHN currently. Never heard of them before but popped up on my spotify so why not. Anyone know anything about them?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Yeah - I'm really liking it too, Mez. I don't usually go for a lot of the more 'relaxed' dancey electronica, but he's clearly got it when it comes to hooks and songwriting, so most of the tracks are really landing with me...

Very much hoping he plays the Farm. With a full band.

Ben

I think he was one of the first to self confirm himself on twitter,  but I agree I definitely hope it's the full get up 

Just seen youve already acknowledged this 

Edited by Mezhyp1