2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

Okay so I have just caught up with this thread, having not read it or listened to much music since coming over to NZ - it's been a hectic few weeks. 

As far as I can tell I need to listen to Alvvays, the National (obvs), the Horrors and The Clientiele - are there any other big names I'm missing for the past month or so? 

The little music I have managed to listen to since I've been here all seems to have been electronic for some reason, they have probably been discussed in the electronica thread but I can't keep up with more than one thread atm. So my contribution is to mention Bicep having a full album out instead of just singular tracks. Also kolsch's album is hitting all my electronic buttons. 

Liked METZ's album, good sound to it, needs a few more listens to properly crack it.

Stumbled upon Princess Nokia the other day, not sure if it's been mentioned but her album dropped a couple of weeks ago and it's great. Reminds me a bit of Tyler's stuff but a bit less eccentric. Also the first song on the album is called Bart Simpson, what's not to love? 

Here, have a stellar live version of it:

2 hours ago, mjsell said:

Okay so I have just caught up with this thread, having not read it or listened to much music since coming over to NZ - it's been a hectic few weeks. 

As far as I can tell I need to listen to Alvvays, the National (obvs), the Horrors and The Clientiele - are there any other big names I'm missing for the past month or so? 

The little music I have managed to listen to since I've been here all seems to have been electronic for some reason, they have probably been discussed in the electronica thread but I can't keep up with more than one thread atm. So my contribution is to mention Bicep having a full album out instead of just singular tracks. Also kolsch's album is hitting all my electronic buttons. 

Grizzly Bear, Everything Everything, The War On Drugs, LCD, Cribs and QOTSA all great as well. 

Lots on here were raving about the Brand New album too but it didn't  float my boat. Maybe worth a listen if that's your bag though. 

Fresh hot Ezra Furman for you all here. It's a massive shake-up - he's ditched his Boyfriends band and now has a new one called the Visions, and the result sounds nothing like what he's done before. Not quite sure what to make of it really, hope it grows on me but I'm a bit puzzled at first with all the kind of abrasive electronic stuff that's going on here. I hope the new album still brings out some tracks that keep the sense of 'fun' that his last couple had. We'll see, anyway.

Just listened to the new Wolf Alice album on the drive to work. Had already heard the first 4 tunes and loved them all, and the rest of the album is more of the same. No major changes in style from the first album which is one of my favourite ever debuts, so if you liked that then I think you’ll love this! Going to sort some tickets to their Nov tour now

4 hours ago, Billjames7 said:

Just listened to the new Wolf Alice album on the drive to work. Had already heard the first 4 tunes and loved them all, and the rest of the album is more of the same. No major changes in style from the first album which is one of my favourite ever debuts, so if you liked that then I think you’ll love this! Going to sort some tickets to their Nov tour now

was a bit worried by the four pre-release tracks, Yuk Foo and Heavenward were boring. By far the least interesting things on it though, so all good. Beautifully Unconventional is even better in context of the full shebang.

EDIT: Younger Now is the best album released today though B)

Edited by Zac Quinn
  • Like 1