2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

Foos album alright, there's nothing as bad as wheels on there. LOVED the Prophets of Rage one, proper fun while walking to the train station this morning. Only getting to Alex Cameron's now and enjoying it, just announced a December tour so might have to see him at Deaf. Always forget how many gigs inevitably pop up around this time, its great smashing 15 gigs or so in 3 months but it gets a bit expensive when I insist on drinking at all of them...

Love the new Confidence Man tune as well, curse whoever originally recommended them as I'm struggling to get through a whole album without quickly popping Boyfriend on.

6 hours ago, priest17 said:

Only getting to Alex Cameron's now and enjoying it, just announced a December tour so might have to see him at Deaf

Forced Witness really is belting. I like the first album but was apprehensive about Al & Roy's jump from diy new wave dudes to luscious soft rock, but man did they ace the landing. The songs are all too damn catchy not to sing, which as you know is a problem because the lyrical content is shady as hell.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 7:42 PM, dentalplan said:

Forced Witness really is belting. I like the first album but was apprehensive about Al & Roy's jump from diy new wave dudes to luscious soft rock, but man did they ace the landing. The songs are all too damn catchy not to sing, which as you know is a problem because the lyrical content is shady as hell.

This album is gonna walk into my top 10 of the year without issues at this rate, I was mildly put off by the soft rock coz it's really not my style but the melodies and just how well it was done won me over. The lyrics then made me wonder if he's a really clever lyricist or just a creepy weirdo, I'm happy if he's considered both, he's easily winning September (which is impressive considering what we've had, although Horror's new one is out on Friday).

So there I was, moaning about how 2017 needs to slow thafuck down with the new releases, there's just so many and I can't keep up. Then I look on fb and see that Owen Pallett has finally announces he's nearly ready to release his Heartland sequel, which he confirmed TWO YEARS AGO and is my #1 most hyped/anticipated album of all time! I was listening to Heartland this morning, so did I summon this? Yet more evidence that I am the demiurge. Hopefully it lands before the end of the year. It's called Island and he says it's the best album he's ever made. I cannot fucking wait. GET ON WITH IT, OWEN!

15 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

So there I was, moaning about how 2017 needs to slow thafuck down with the new releases, there's just so many and I can't keep up. Then I look on fb and see that Owen Pallett has finally announces he's nearly ready to release his Heartland sequel, which he confirmed TWO YEARS AGO and is my #1 most hyped/anticipated album of all time! I was listening to Heartland this morning, so did I summon this? Yet more evidence that I am the demiurge. Hopefully it lands before the end of the year. It's called Island and he says it's the best album he's ever made. I cannot fucking wait. GET ON WITH IT, OWEN!

:party:

On 19/09/2017 at 11:38 PM, SighMo said:

https://open.spotify.com/album/7l0l4obm6cfFS0wuM2zxBc?si=3syL2GsS

Apologies if these have already been mentioned but this has just come out on vinyl. Not much more than an EP but well worth a listen: Talk Tight by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever. 

They are much liked on here. They also have a second EP out, The French Press.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2017 at 4:23 PM, kingcrawler said:

Been listening to the new Gang of Youths album a lot over the last few days. Came out last week in Australia, don't think it's out until October over here but it's pretty easily found online. It's really good, hearing a lot of The National, Springsteen and early Arcade Fire in it. 

Just been recommended the debut album by these and you might like it as well. Pretty similar fare and also from Australia (they even supported Gang of Youths on a recent tour, I believe). Here's the opening track.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

New Horrors album is pretty good! Started off a little slow and I was a little disappointed at first but after a couple of listens it's not too shabby at all, helped by the fact that it builds up to and ends with one of the best bangers of the year, Something to Remember Me By. 

Listening to it right now. It's fucking glorious.

• Like 1

The Horrors are bloody good aren't they, this new album is top banana, they're so good at pushing on and still being The Horrors. Still annoyed they've gone and done one of my biggest pet hates and signed up to an all day music festival thing instead of a Manchester tour date, c'mon dudes. They tend to tour their albums twice though, and gonna take a hell of a show to beat their Albert Hall show.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Yep a shame that they've probably stalled/are possibly even on the decline popularity wise as they've not taken a wrong turn since Primary Colours. 

Newie is more muscular than previous outings. Can't wait to see them again next month.