2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

Finally got around to listening to 4:44 and I'm a bit disappointed. I wasn't expecting much from it, I knew nobody's considering it a great album and it was only supposed to be a solid and interesting listen. Really the only positives I can say for it is that there's some very welcome introspection at the beginning, and Jay's starting subject matter for most of the tracks throughout is fertile ground, and it's a massive improvement over Magna Carta Holy Grail. But there's a real lack of any interesting wordplay at all, or any kind of humour, and absolutely zero levels of swagger, which I would say are the three essential tenants of Jay-Z's good records (and even makes some of the shit ones bearable). Beats all bored me, no memorable hooks, even the Frank Ocean and Beyonce features felt really flat to me. I'll take Kill Jay-Z and Story Of OJ from it, and just leave the rest because it was a joyless slog after the first two tracks. One of his weakest overall albums for me.

21 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Finally got around to listening to 4:44 and I'm a bit disappointed. I wasn't expecting much from it, I knew nobody's considering it a great album and it was only supposed to be a solid and interesting listen. Really the only positives I can say for it is that there's some very welcome introspection at the beginning, and Jay's starting subject matter for most of the tracks throughout is fertile ground, and it's a massive improvement over Magna Carta Holy Grail. But there's a real lack of any interesting wordplay at all, or any kind of humour, and absolutely zero levels of swagger, which I would say are the three essential tenants of Jay-Z's good records (and even makes some of the shit ones bearable). Beats all bored me, no memorable hooks, even the Frank Ocean and Beyonce features felt really flat to me. I'll take Kill Jay-Z and Story Of OJ from it, and just leave the rest because it was a joyless slog after the first two tracks. One of his weakest overall albums for me.

Can't really argue with that. It's better than anything since American Gangster but still far short of former glories.

14 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Can't really argue with that. It's better than anything since American Gangster but still far short of former glories.

I think Watch The Throne is a really good album; and Blueprint 3 has some absolute shite on there but has some pretty mega singles and decent beats for the most part, and his delivery is way more varied on there. Perversely, even with the subject matter being much more poignant on 4:44, he sounded much more passionate about rapping endlessly about how fucking rich he is on Blueprint 3. I'd guess that comes from him being out of his comfort zone on 4:44, and maybe wanting to sound very direct and sincere, but if that's what he was going for I don't think he pulled it off.

This album by Prettiest Eyes came on Friday and I haven't stopped listening to it since (except for watching hours of Taika Waititi interviews but that's another story). Sounds somewhere between Oh Sees and Girl Band at points, its a top listen, plenty of hectic and enough relief to keep you coming back. Right up my street anyway, it's here on bandcamp but it's on spotify as well https://prettiesteyes.bandcamp.com/album/pools

2 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

the queen of pop is dead, long live the queen

It's an absolute belter of a song. She's a hit maker. Only a matter of time before she takes over the world.  Can't wait for the LP. Could be the soundtrack of next summer (if it drops around then).

23 hours ago, jyoung said:

It's an absolute belter of a song. She's a hit maker. Only a matter of time before she takes over the world.  Can't wait for the LP. Could be the soundtrack of next summer (if it drops around then).

Every single one has been an absolute belter, she's going to be huge.