2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

12 hours ago, tjamest said:

Anyone who is partial to the odd bit of country give Margo Price's new album a listen, it's great and makes me sad i missed her at Glastonbury this year

Good shout, she's great, saw her at The Park, and lucky enough to see her with Loretta Lynn too. Have the new album on it's way...

15 hours ago, priest17 said:

It's a flawed tag to begin with. Can't accuse this of it anyway:

I think it sounds great, bet it'll be a great boogie live. New album February 9th (same as Ezra's iirc? Definitely dancing to work that day).

Like it. they're touring in February, I might just go see them again, especially as they're at the Albert Hall in Manchester which I reckon is turning into the best music venue in town, was there last night for Jason Isbell who I really rate as just about the best American songwriter around right now.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hmmmm...sadly I'm less enthused of the new #Madge joint.  I dig that it sounds all Little Feat at points, but too few up tempo stormers in the last 3/4 of the album.

Been humming and hawing about that country twatfest cos Emmylou Harris is still on my bucket list, but it's all seated and tickets ain't cheap.  I don't even know who Little Big Town are.

Was looking at that myself until I saw the ticket price (fuck that) but aside from that how much time will Emmylou get? 

Not sure I could take that amount of country music in one day anyway. 

Also, it'll be full of utter bog warriors here.

Edited by The Nal

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Like it. they're touring in February, I might just go see them again, especially as they're at the Albert Hall in Manchester which I reckon is turning into the best music venue in town, was there last night for Jason Isbell who I really rate as just about the best American songwriter around right now.

I'm in pretty much the exact same boat, finances aren't great at the moment though and no idea how they'll be then so gonna put my faith in the twicket gods and hope one pops up on the day. They were fantastic there with sparks a couple of years ago, much better than I expected.

14 hours ago, dentalplan said:

New album by Catholic Action "In Memory Of" sounds a bit Franz Ferdinand (or the fella's voice does) via some Weezer-y power pop. Not gonna be the most impacting album you'll hear this month but a fun little record nonetheless. You've probably heard of them but other fans of Franz may be new to them I s'pose.

I'd heard a couple of singles but didn't know the album was out so just checked it out and enjoyed it. Probably not gonna trouble any end of year lists but as you say nice enough, saved it on Spotify to go back to as it was decent to work to. They're supporting Kagoule in the upcoming tour which I've already had my eye on which could be fun.

Speaking of fun light records, I've been enjoying Alex Lahey's debut, good enjoyable indie-pop. It's kept me smiling through some tedious retopoligising which is impressive in itself. I've had Brand New on repeat since it landed on Spotify so it's nice to have some cheer for the ears.

After slumming it with the Youtube stream for a few weeks, I've done the ceremonial payday record shop trip and picked up Music For People In Trouble on wax, so it's a #susanalbumparty in the Lawn abode tonight.

Also been forcing myself to repeatedly listen to Taylor's new songs, as it's required by my religion, and I'm now of the opinion that they are great tunes. I will not allow this to be her Infinite Content; she's my generation's Paul Simon, and her best years are ahead of her.

That Emmylou Harris placing has got me a-scratchin' my head, always thought she was a Legends' SlotTM candidate.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Also been forcing myself to repeatedly listen to Taylor's new songs, as it's required by my religion, and I'm now of the opinion that they are great tunes. I will not allow this to be her Infinite Content; she's my generation's Paul Simon, and her best years are ahead of her.

New Swift tunes Don’t Deserve Love.

15 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Arcade Fire are the Boney M of my generation; albums 1-4 are Baby Do You Wanna Bump, and Everything Now is whatever the fuck else Boney M made.

Put Your Boney on M.

Its finna b the Exile on Main St. of our generation. Except the original backlash was because they were off their heads on satire, rather than heroin.

Edited by dentalplan