2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This all over. Noel's song is upbeat and catchy. Liam's album is as grey sounding as Beady Eye and latter day Oasis.

Yeah, at least Noel's new music is something different and the direction he seems to be going with it is somewhat interesting. The most exciting thing to happen on Liam's album sounds like yer da doing Tame Impala karaoke, and that's a bonus track ffs 

To be fair, it’s taken three attempts for NG to come up with something that’s not Oasis-lite, including chucking a full album away. Having given the LG album a few plays, I’m pleasantly surprised. It’s far better than anything that was on those Beady Eye albums.

More importantly, I’m buzzing for the new Beck one this week. Loved all the singles from it so far, the bloke hasn’t put a foot wrong recently.

3 hours ago, Badlands said:

More importantly, I’m buzzing for the new Beck one this week. Loved all the singles from it so far, the bloke hasn’t put a foot wrong recently.

Has leaked so will be giving it a listen later today, although can’t say I’m personally too excited - half of what I’ve heard so far has been okay, and the other half has been pretty forgettable pop rock that sounds far too polished and samey. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised but I’m preparing to be underwhelmed.

9 minutes ago, priest17 said:

It's changed but it hasn't diminished or died, there's still solid gold coming out. In 20 years, people will hold Kendrick up next to 2Pac and Biggie.

You Reckon? I'm not so sure.

( and I love Kendrick)

Edited by bamber

12 minutes ago, bamber said:

Again....

Love the way they use a Bruno Mars sample but cut it up to make it sound like something Tupac would have rapped on. I understand your argument and don't necessarily disagree with it entirely but this was poor choice of instrumental to pick if you're arguing that hip-hop is very different to how it used to be during 2pac's time.

On that topic, I wonder what people thought when they heard things like California Love or Sky's The Limit for the first time. I bet they thought it was very different and had changed from the music of Marley Marl, Sugarhill Gang, Kurtis Blow etc.

Hip hop isnt one specific sound, its a whole culture (as shown by the pillars of hip hop). I do understand what you're saying when you say it's changed from what it was but I wouldn't agree that its diminished, just perhaps the better artists are now more underground (excluding a couple e.g Kendrick)

Edited by rhg_99

8 minutes ago, bamber said:

You Reckon? I'm not so sure.

( and I love Kendrick)

tough one to call, it's hard to know how things are gonna go down in the future but yeah I think so, to further that I think To Pimp A Butterfly will generally be heralded as the greatest Hip-Hop album this side of the century. There's also that acts like Outkast are rising into being Legends only 10 years later. It's hard coz hip-hop was still so young as a genre in the 90s it set a lot of rules so people are obviously gonna look there, like The Beatles for rock (I've really simplified that, don't have a go at me ahah). 

Hip-Hop has overtaken rock in terms of popularity these days, it's culturally more important than ever but with popularity your gonna get a lot of weaker stuff alongside it.

It's the weekend so I'm quite excitable, I may have gone a bit far with some of my points there ahah, not gonna read it back though as I have to go and get drunk and see some Lapalux guy, peace