2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

7 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

So Noel's new album seems like a pretty big change in sound for him

I was really impressed when I first heard it, sounded so chaotic and mental, weirdly Death Grips inspired, a massive crazy step for Noel. Turns out I had it playing at different times on 2 different tabs. Still, sounds relatively (relative to how the last couple of albums have been pretty boring at times) interesting, that song he did with the chemical brothers is one of my favorite performances by him so if he can channel that might be on to a winner.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2017 at 9:27 AM, kingcrawler said:

Not going to get the chance to listen to too many new albums this weekend but listened to Phoebe Bridgers debut this morning which is great. Motion Sickness is one of ny favourite songs of the year so far. 

I heard this on Radio 6 last week and have been trying to remember what it was called for days. Thanks.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Despite them splitting up we have new Wild Beasts already!

Also listened to that Fountaineers album you suggested @dentalplan, very good stuff, definitely one I'll be coming back too over the next few months.

Willing to take this split on face value and enjoy the 'hurrah' regardless of whether it will be there last one or otherwise.

I like the track.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Also listened to that Fountaineers album you suggested @dentalplan, very good stuff, definitely one I'll be coming back too over the next few months.

Good man. Was worried my recommendation had floated off into the air! The track in the middle that sounded like Noah and the Whale had me annoyed until it dawned on me that they NATW have actually just been a poppy National. Makes u think.

Just been listening to this throughout the morning. Pretty sweet tune from yer man Wally B and SVE.

54 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

Willing to take this split on face value and enjoy the 'hurrah' regardless of whether it will be there last one or otherwise.

I like the track.

Interview in NME asks them if they'll ever reform and they seem pretty adamant they won't. Suppose that's always the case with band splits but unlike a lot of others I doubt any big money offers will be heading their way to convince them otherwise. Tempted by the Manchester date, especially in the hope that they'd play some more stuff from the first album that I never got to see live.

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

Finally made it through Wand's latest, amazing stuff I'd recommend it to most here. They're a bloody talented bunch, if you like any of the singles you'll like the album.

Yeah I was a bit puzzled as it started as to whether it was the same band but it's a really good effort and they're mastering the shift. I prefer Golem still but I'd like to see more in this direction and bag themselves a bit of recognition.

Did you listen to METZ's new album? They're offering a more primal brand of punk this time, you might well like it. I think it's p. good but I miss the noise rock element a little bit. I thought they'd double down on that with Steve Albini producing but I dunno how much that means nowadays - man's got Facebook Scrabble to play.

2 hours ago, priest17 said:

Finally made it through Wand's latest, amazing stuff I'd recommend it to most here. They're a bloody talented bunch, if you like any of the singles you'll like the album.

cheers for the reminder! just gave this a first listen and it sounds great, also just seen theyve got a Brighton show in January!

59 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I was a bit puzzled as it started as to whether it was the same band but it's a really good effort and they're mastering the shift. I prefer Golem still but I'd like to see more in this direction and bag themselves a bit of recognition.

Did you listen to METZ's new album? They're offering a more primal brand of punk this time, you might well like it. I think it's p. good but I miss the noise rock element a little bit. I thought they'd double down on that with Steve Albini producing but I dunno how much that means nowadays - man's got Facebook Scrabble to play.

Golem's a bit on its own I always thought, heavier than the other albums. Maybe I've just singled it out as it's the only one on Spotify. Plenty to chew on at soup kitchen in Jan though.

I haven't yet but it's on the list, you've raised my curiosity now though so I'll get on that tomorrow. Didn't know al was producing it, he's already produced one of my albums of the year so far so he's in good (well, even better than usual) favor with me at the moment.

All this brilliant new music out I feel bad how much time I've devoted to Nick Cave and old John Peel shows. Well not bad as both are amazing, just annoyed how despite having 2 ears I always feel behind, its gonna get even harder when people wanna waste time talking about Glastonbury and stuff starts slipping through the cracks. 3 months till list season...

Surprisingly interesting Noel Gallagher interview here, if you'd told me 6 months ago I'd be genuinely intrigued/borderline excited for both Gallagher brothers albums of have told you I'm not 16 anymore. Yet here we are. As much as Liam is trying to dissuade me on Jools... 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05h5ld9