2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

On 31/08/2017 at 2:05 AM, WS_Jack_III said:

That "Beautifully Unconventional" from Wolf Alice is great!

Yeah agree I love all 3 singles from the album so far, all totally different but still somehow very Wolf Alice. Caught their (not so secret) set at Reading last weekend which was nice as I can't make their tour this month and they sounded amazing. Recorded a bit of beautifully unconventional too...

On 1 September 2017 at 4:34 PM, Bradders said:

I haven't heard the album but Dreams Tonight is easily good enough to match LP1.

Yeah, the NPR first listen stream won't load for me but Dreams Tonite is probably my favourite thing they've already done. Then again, I really like the other two singles and think they're both as good as stuff from the first album. Also really promising live recordings of Not My Baby, Your Type and Saved By A Waif have been out there for a while, so I have very high hopes. 

2 minutes ago, bocumaroy said:

Yeah, the NPR first listen stream won't load for me but Dreams Tonite is probably my favourite thing they've already done. Then again, I really like the other two singles and think they're both as good as stuff from the first album. Also really promising live recordings of Not My Baby, Your Type and Saved By A Waif have been out there for a while, so I have very high hopes. 

Tbf I might've done my usual jumping the gun with this. As a whole I'd still say it's not on par with the first album, but there are a few songs that are still very good - just a couple that don't quite do it for me.

On 01/09/2017 at 3:51 PM, donkeykong said:

I'm one listen in on the new Mogwai album. I like it - quite melodic, reminds me of Happy Songs and Atomic as well as Rave Tapes

The new album is glorious - I picked up the deluxe edition and currently listening to the demo's/extra tracks - wonderful stuff as always

On 02/09/2017 at 0:14 PM, Billjames7 said:

Yeah agree I love all 3 singles from the album so far, all totally different but still somehow very Wolf Alice. Caught their (not so secret) set at Reading last weekend which was nice as I can't make their tour this month and they sounded amazing. Recorded a bit of beautifully unconventional too...

My bro caught them at Leeds. We're off to see them later this year too. They're still very much in my future Glastonbury headliner pool.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 4:13 PM, tevaburger said:

(just come to post this and see it's been mentioned a few posts above).. the new Kurt VIle/Courtney Barnett track....very much looking forward to this, & will be seeing them two months from today...pleased so far...

Excited by this first song and the video is greta too! Hope they come to UK for a few shows.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Appropriate album cover because both the tracks have been arse. Jack Antonoff will hopefully be on a music industry blacklist by 2018.

They've both been brilliant you plebian, and Melodrama is AotY (aside from the horrible vocal recording that makes every consonant she says drown out everything else and make it sound like she's spitting right in your ears so headphones be an uncomfortable listen). Also if being in Fun doesn't get you on a music industry blacklist then nowt will.

41 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

They've both been brilliant you plebian, and Melodrama is AotY (aside from the horrible vocal recording that makes every consonant she says drown out everything else and make it sound like she's spitting right in your ears so headphones be an uncomfortable listen). Also if being in Fun doesn't get you on a music industry blacklist then nowt will.

I imagine it's all an uncomfortable listen; everything about Lorde is fucking insufferable.

Don't really see what old fans can get from these two new St. Vinny cuts. She's still a cool lass and the promo of this has been pretty fun but she was already winning with her own brand of weird, exciting, unique pop that she grabbed a Grammy from. I dunno why she's decidedly tried to go generic and switched from her longtime producer to pop's most mediocre man in a bid to dip her toes into the mainstream for fifteen minutes until she's kicked out for being too weird and old and reminding kids of their auntie. There's still something of her in the two tunes so hopefully it's just the lead singles but this album could be sad times for one of the most exciting artists of recent years.

Edited by dentalplan

I didn't realise Wand had new stuff out, I lived their heavier stuff from Golem but this is pretty cool as well, I didn't really think of Radiohead on first listen but I can see what the comments are getting at. Booked my Soup Kitchen tickets anyway, hear they bring the noise live. 

Worth a listen anyway, brilliantly psychedelic, new album September 22nd (to add to the list)

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I didn't realise Wand had new stuff out, I lived their heavier stuff from Golem but this is pretty cool as well, I didn't really think of Radiohead on first listen but I can see what the comments are getting at. Booked my Soup Kitchen tickets anyway, hear they bring the noise live. 

Worth a listen anyway, brilliantly psychedelic, new album September 22nd (to add to the list)

Definitely get a bit of a Radiohead vibe from this. Kind of sounds like The Bends (the song) in parts and then a few bits and pieces from other Bends era stuff as well. Really quite like it though. Always been a band I've given fleeting listens to but think I'll be delving a little deeper now.