2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Yeh maybe. I didn't say good or bad...just...

Well his voice is as or more enchanting than ever I will say that much.

I'm a massive life long brand new fan, so have been waiting a long time for this. I have to say I'm totally in love with it. A complete masterpiece. Managed to bag a ticket to their London show in November as well 

5 minutes ago, Billjames7 said:

The Sherlocks debut album released yesterday and after a couple of listens I really like the new songs - about half of the album had already been released as singles over the last 12months. A very similar sound to early arctic monkeys

They're local to me so part of me wants to give the album a go. However whenever I listen to them the lead singers voice reminds me of Liam Fray. That puts me off as I don't really get The Courteeners.

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Finally managed to pull myself away from Brand New's album to give the new Grizzly Bear a go. Pretty good, although as is always the case with Grizzly Bear it'll need a fair few listens for a lot of the songs to sink in.

I had a brief rest to listen to the new King Gizzard...and am now suitably engrossed in 'Science Fiction' once again

Certainly been the King Gizz record getting played much more than Brand New for me, great as that album is. Absolute joy of an album packed with creativity - the weird microtonal jazz fusion (or however you classify that) they do on 'The Book' has to be one of the most far-out things they've ever done but it works so well. And I love how those sunny bubblegum pop melodies that have been much missed from the band's last few records are dropped seamlessly into all the jams. Leaning towards this being the best of the three they've put out this year, I think the experiment has really paid off for them - here's to albums 4 and 5. Give it a listen every1!

Science Fiction is excellent of course, but the sections where it veers a bit too far into heavy guitars rocknroll do lose me a bit and just feel generic - the combo of In the Water and Out of Mana is a definite low point for me. But it's easy to forget those with how much goodness there is in the record - the moment where that synth bass comes in on Lit Me Up, for one. 

Wowwwww, how good is Science Fiction!?! I've listened to it loads already since it dropped and it's only growing on me further. I'm not quite sure if it's better than TDAG yet but I think it beats Deja and the rest. Same Logic / Teeth and Can't Get it Out are my highlights and Desert would probably be one of my least favourites but even then I really like it.

Been listening to Everything Everything's A Fever Dream too which is also very good. Really like Night of the Long Knives, Ivory Tower and the title track, which is strange because when they played the two former songs at Glasto I wasn't overly blown away.

1 hour ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/first-plays/446/first-play-oh-sees-orc

Good fun record. It's up on Norman but I've already blown my vinyl allowance for this month. First purchase of September I think.

Came out last week in the UK! fully recommend getting it on vinyl and the Bone colour version, its a bleeding fantastic record will probably be my number 1 of 2017, remarkable how Oh Sees just keep getting better & better!

9 hours ago, edwardjc14 said:

Came out last week in the UK! fully recommend getting it on vinyl and the Bone colour version, its a bleeding fantastic record will probably be my number 1 of 2017, remarkable how Oh Sees just keep getting better & better!

Waiting for my vinyl copy to be delivered with War on Drugs new one. The gig at Green Man was one of the best I've been to...really need to see them again but nothing over here in the near future; be great to see them at the next Glasto. 

After giving Grizzly Bear's new'un a few more listens I'm feeling a little underwhelmed. Starts off strong for me but just kind of trails off towards the end. Not up to the heights of their previous three albums imo. 

The War on Drugs album on the other hand is growing on me with each listen. The songs aren't as good as last time, but the sound of the album/the band in general has me hooked. Smoke a doob, sit back and take in the 80's nostalgia.