2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

37 minutes ago, priest17 said:

My eyes tell me I'm on a train between Leeds and Manchester in the rain, my ears tell me I'm on the beach. Love it, love them, had to be good for me to turn the cribs off for that long.

Seeing them play through the nightmarish rain at Truck was quite a confusing experience :P

Past couple of months has been incredible. Today I listened to Vince Staples, Kelly Lee Owens, Waxahatchee, Lorde, and Joe Goddard, and I was just thinking about how many brilliant albums have suddenly sprung up recently. Then the stuff we've got to look forward to in the near future is mental as well. Possibly the universe trying to distract us all from the rubbishness of Everything Now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mash011 said:

Seeing them play through the nightmarish rain at Truck was quite a confusing experience :P

I bet ahah, someone bought me the vinyl a while ago coz I'd been banging on about them, some people complain about them being bad at playing but anyone that can keep me that cheery for 40 minutes is doing something right by my book.

8 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I bet ahah, someone bought me the vinyl a while ago coz I'd been banging on about them, some people complain about them being bad at playing but anyone that can keep me that cheery for 40 minutes is doing something right by my book.

Yeah they're not exactly instrumental wizards but it's a kind of garagey shittiness carried through by good tunes and sheer personality. New track sounding a little cleaner (as expected, really) but keeping all of the charm.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

This is ace. The most pop thing they've done for sure but I think it really works.

Yeah it's by far their most outright pop song but the sound really suits them, definitely one of my favourite songs of theirs. That's two really great songs from their new album now, it wasn't one I was too excited about before but after these I'm pretty hyped for it.

Melodrama was initially a slow burn for me, but now I can't get enough of it. Could easily become my AotY, it's the sort of thing I like done well, and I appreciate that. I've listened to it 3 times today. I wish I was a teenager when this came out, I'd have gone mad for it.

24 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

As has new Mogwai. To be honest I'm quite pleased these albums are leaking a few weeks early as it stops there being such a backlog come September when there's loads of interesting stuff coming out.

It pisses me off cos everyone's stopped talking about albums by the time they're out and I've listened to them!

On 11/08/2017 at 10:38 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Past couple of months has been incredible. Today I listened to Vince Staples, Kelly Lee Owens, Waxahatchee, Lorde, and Joe Goddard, and I was just thinking about how many brilliant albums have suddenly sprung up recently. Then the stuff we've got to look forward to in the near future is mental as well. Possibly the universe trying to distract us all from the rubbishness of Everything Now.

boi

Listen to Sophia Kennedy now

23 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Quite liking the new Cribs album, I can see it growing even more as I listen to it.

Hasn't hit the mark yet after about half a dozen listens, for me. Saw them play a few  new tracks on Friday and it would be fair to say they didn't go down well. Though their regular sound issues didn't help.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry Finn said:

Hasn't hit the mark yet after about half a dozen listens, for me. Saw them play a few  new tracks on Friday and it would be fair to say they didn't go down well. Though their regular sound issues didn't help.

It's grown on my quite a bit. It's not amazing but it's an album that just shouts "The Cribs" to me, their sound etc. A lovely closing track too.