2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

On 7/25/2017 at 3:11 PM, SighMo said:

Will definitely checkout the Alvvays new album; loved the first one. I saw on FB earlier that Hiss Golden Messenger have a follow up to Heart Like a Levee coming out soon; he writes some beautiful songs. 

this past weekend at the famed Newport Folk Festival there were a few surprise sets, but one was by an act on the bill called "Grandpa's Hands Band" which opened up the Saturday on main stage & featured Justin Vernon, Natalie Prass, & Hiss Golden Messenger all playing some Bill Withers tunes...

There's so much good music on it's way (well... potentially) I'm buzzing. Wish it was spread out a bit more though, no need for 4 anticipated albums coming out on the same day. Cribs, Downtown Boys and Districts albums all come out on the 11th, QOTSA, Oh Sees, These New South Wales and War on Drugs all on the 25th, with King Gizzard's rumored to come out that day as well. Kinda curious about XXXtentacion's as well which is also that day.

At least one of those has to be as good as I'm hoping. Got Girl Ray and George Thorogood new albums tomorrow to tide me over till then. And last weeks new The Fall album. and Tyler's, Declan McKenna's and Dizzee's from the week before. And I haven't actually been through Amine's or Vic Mensa's yet.

Imagine thinking all modern music was shite ahah

Anyone listened to the new Paul & Jacqui album? Thought it was another good record on first listen, People Like Us being a highlight.

On the subject, I recently found (driving back from Glastonbury as it happens), an absolute cracker at the end of the deluxe version of their first album together, Advice For Daughters. The lyrics are above and beyond genius even by Paul Heaton's usually high standards.

[Sorry, couldn't find videos for either]

Edited by fightoffyour

Girl Ray for me this week, and the reissue of Eno's 'warm jets'. 

Bought that Can singles collection this morning, and the latest Real Estate, which i somehow managed to miss earlier in the year.

4 hours ago, priest17 said:

There's so much good music on it's way (well... potentially) I'm buzzing. Wish it was spread out a bit more though, no need for 4 anticipated albums coming out on the same day. Cribs, Downtown Boys and Districts albums all come out on the 11th, QOTSA, Oh Sees, These New South Wales and War on Drugs all on the 25th, with King Gizzard's rumored to come out that day as well. Kinda curious about XXXtentacion's as well which is also that day.

At least one of those has to be as good as I'm hoping. Got Girl Ray and George Thorogood new albums tomorrow to tide me over till then. And last weeks new The Fall album. and Tyler's, Declan McKenna's and Dizzee's from the week before. And I haven't actually been through Amine's or Vic Mensa's yet.

Imagine thinking all modern music was shite ahah

Amine's is solid as I expected without pulling up trees. He reminds me of Goldlink without the cool voice.

Vic Mensa really introspective stuff, again as expected. Only listened twice but really liked it, not quite on the level of the mixtape he released last year imo but still worth the listen.

1 hour ago, ConorC said:

Amine's is solid as I expected without pulling up trees. He reminds me of Goldlink without the cool voice.

Vic Mensa really introspective stuff, again as expected. Only listened twice but really liked it, not quite on the level of the mixtape he released last year imo but still worth the listen.

yeah I liked them both, can see them falling to the wayside with the next month of music. Nothing to fuss about for me, but I didn't want to turn them off at any point

24 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Despite his last album being "make or break" by his own admission, Jake Bugg's new album Hearts That Strain is out September 1st.

I can't wait. Call me sentimental, but I rub my commemorative Jake Bugg £2 coin, issued by the Royal Mint to mark the release of his 2016 magnum opus On My One, before I leave the house every single morning for luck. I was no fan of David Cameron's tenure as Prime Minister, but he did us right by declaring the album's release date a public holiday. I don't think we'll ever see scenes of national solidarity quite like that in our lifetimes again. I just remember being out there in the street parties; young and old, rich and poor, people of all ethnic backgrounds, people of all religions, everybody just came together. After I left my local record shop with my copy, after the hours of queuing, I was overcome with emotion and I fell down right there in the street, shaking and sobbing. I was helped up by the arms of everybody around, people picked me up and made sure I was OK and ready to carry on enjoying Bugg day.

I've ordered 99 white doves, which I'm going to release on September 1st. My neighbour was proudly telling me this afternoon that her daughter's school has formed a mass choir with all the other primary schools in the area, and they'll be singing the songs of Bugg in unison. Kids of all different backgrounds brought together by that which binds them; The Unmistakable Sound Of Jake Bugg. A load of local pensioners have already started work on a big topiary recreation of Jake Bugg in the overgrown bushes near the shops. Doctors in our local hospital have noticed that a lot of patients seem to make an unexplained sudden recovery when they're told there's a new Bugg album on the way. People with life threatening ailments seem like there was never anything the matter, a man who'd had both legs smashed in a car accident just skipped out the front door!

• Upvote 7

New Black Grape, few decent tunes but no hooks or choruses unfortunately. Loads of motown groove in the tracks but it's not enough to rescue the album.

There are 3 or 4 good tracks that will mean they now have a really good live set with no filler.