2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

I didn't expect to ever say this again but I can't get enough of that new Dizzee Rascal song. Im anticipating criticism aimed at it and him which i imagine will be largely fair but I think it's a bit of a banger. Always wanted to (but didnt) like his later pop songs coz I think he seems like a decent enough lad so glad he's back on a wavelength I can get behind.

Public Service Broadcasting's new album is great as well, HAIM's was a bit forgettable. 

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

It was fantastic. Really looking forward to seeing her again in September. 

Argh, just frantically checked seetickets hoping I'd somehow missed a tour announcements and tickets would still be available! Alas, two London dates. If they weren't midweek I would be all over it. 

But yeah, she was really impressive. Such an enjoyable set; her energy is contagious. I can't wait to see where her music takes her.

5 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I didn't expect to ever say this again but I can't get enough of that new Dizzee Rascal song. Im anticipating criticism aimed at it and him which i imagine will be largely fair but I think it's a bit of a banger.

Dizzee's new track is the best thing he's come up with in recent years, that's for sure. I don't think it's at all comparable with stuff like Boy In Da Corner but never mind, it is what it is and it's fairly decent yeah!

In NME he was talking about how he needs to headlining Glasto, there's never been a UK rapper blah blah blah. Barking up the wrong tree there, I imagine. Can't see it. That said, let's see how the rest of the record holds up.

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Dizzee's new track is the best thing he's come up with in recent years, that's for sure. I don't think it's at all comparable with stuff like Boy In Da Corner but never mind, it is what it is and it's fairly decent yeah!

In NME he was talking about how he needs to headlining Glasto, there's never been a UK rapper blah blah blah. Barking up the wrong tree there, I imagine. Can't see it. That said, let's see how the rest of the record holds up.

No cant see him gatting back to BIDC levels again but its a pretty high bar to ain for, I still love that album. I'd say he's back to Maths + English level though. But yeah, see how the rest if the album fairs.

Him headlining is an odd one, its the kind of thing you want to shoot down straight away as a preposterous stupid idea, but his West holts set went down well, people know the songs, seeing bonkers on pyramid '09 is one of the best songs I've seen on there (because of the crowd, its a really odd memory but I still grin about it when I hear that song) and I do think we need new headliners pushing up. If it never happens I won't be surprised but if it is ever announced I'll be in his corner. 

I'm probably coming across as a much bigger fan than I actually am ahah, I have no real issue with that though.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Anyone heard the new DJ Shadow/Nas jam? It's a hashtag banger. 

(Would upload a video but I haven't the foggiest on how to do it). 

Truth. Utter banger.

Been out a while. No official video yet though (think it was used for a tv show soundtrack first)

Very Tribe-ey

17 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Truth. Utter banger.

Been out a while. No official video yet though (think it was used for a tv show soundtrack first)

Very Tribe-ey

Ah didn't realise it had been out a while, popped up on my Spotify "new music" playlist today. I love it. 

Thaks for posting the vid. 

6 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Ah didn't realise it had been out a while, popped up on my Spotify "new music" playlist today. I love it. 

Thaks for posting the vid. 

I heard it a couple of weeks before Glastonbury I believe, as I managed to get on it on my CD swap. Think it was used on the tv show Silicon Valley first.

either way its a cracker.

Edited by mjsell

Wore a NIN t-shirt today, new song pops up. Coincidence? Or am I the demiurge? It's almost definitely the latter.

It's fucking good as well, I reckon this EP trilogy (or triple album if that's what it ends up as) could end up being some of the strongest work in the NIN canon. Obviously Trent's stuff takes ages to really form a proper opinion on, but I think I've lived with Not The Actual Event for enough time now to call it comfortably top 5 material.

On 7/6/2017 at 4:13 PM, SighMo said:

Pretty sure the new Moonlandingz album, Interplanetary Class Classics will be up there for me come the end of the year; it's awesome. Saw them on the Park stage and they looked 'interesting' let's say. I wasn't at the front but he appeared to have something fixed to the top of his head with cling-film and was painted red. 

Album is an absolute cracker. I was up front and it was indeed a loaf of bread. The throwing up was intentional, it's during the song Sweet Saturn Mine and he throws up in the video to it. Was definitely a very strange gig but in a very good way, one of my highlights.

Someone mentioned the Elder Album, they are touring UK in August. I'm going along to catch King Buffalo who are supporting them at The Phoenix in Coventry Aug 10th.

Don't have a half year list to give at the mo but Interplanetary Class Classics would be in there for sure.

15 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Mr Jukes LP from Mr Bombay Bicycle Club is sounding nice on first listen 

I'm being a bit petty and staying away coz it's coming up as a sponsored post too much on Facebook ahah, I'll have to give it a go if enough people speak out in favour of it.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Sheer Mag's debut album proper (quite possibly written and recorded after @GETOFFAMYLAWN rebuffed their EP's package) is out today and fantastic if you luv Sheer Mag. I've no idea how to sell it to other peeps. Get involved.

Excited about this, away this weekend though. Might have to hit up their Deaf Institute gig on my bill next week.

18 hours ago, priest17 said:

Please wear a Flying Lotus t-shirt tomorrow.

I don't own one, so what I did instead was go around shirtless with "YOU'RE DEAD" daubed on my bare chest, and a recreation of the album artwork below. I did it all with condiments and sauces in my cupboards! Did it work?

On 7/13/2017 at 8:06 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Wore a NIN t-shirt today, new song pops up. Coincidence? Or am I the demiurge? It's almost definitely the latter.

It's fucking good as well, I reckon this EP trilogy (or triple album if that's what it ends up as) could end up being some of the strongest work in the NIN canon. Obviously Trent's stuff takes ages to really form a proper opinion on, but I think I've lived with Not The Actual Event for enough time now to call it comfortably top 5 material.