2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

New Horrors is good! Agree with Luminous being great and massively overlooked. Definitely didn't think I'd still be listening to The Horrors and that they'd be releasing great new music ten years on when Strange House was released (which, at the time, I fucking hated with a passion).

New QOTSA record "Villains", produced by Mark Ronson. Because he's a big time pop producer my instinct was "oh no" but from what I recall he just puts horns on stuff doesn't he? The snippet sounds bad ass. Read elsewhere that Josh is on Annie Mac's show tomorrow night so we'll hear the first song then or before.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2017 at 3:11 PM, kingcrawler said:

The Horrors are back with a bit of a change in sound. They seemed to be a pretty big deal off the back of Skying but Luminous (the album was that forgettable I had to google it) never really took off at all, I remember really liking it at the time then just not bothering with it afterwards. I don't see this new one doing much to push them up again but it's a decent effort nonetheless. 

New album 'V' announced for 22nd September. Wish bands would stop giving albums shit numerical titles, but excited for this anyway.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Only one listen in but shock-horror that JAY-Z (as he now likes to be called)'s new album isn't total dogshit. Interested to see how him cussing out Kanye in the first track goes down - imagine Kanye will have a fair bit to say about that. RIP The Throne.

I thought he'd dropped the dash from his name and that's what he wanted to be called now? I guess that's what keeps him busy these days. Interested to hear that one but I doubt I'll seek it out unless it becomes more widely available - perhaps never.

Listened to the new St. Vincent song and to my horror it was extremely bland and disappointing. I desperately hope that's all of Jack Antonoff's involvement on the album and there are more guitars here on in to bring Annie to her weird best.

fair amount of new stuff to listen to today, actually enjoyed the new Liam G song nothing to get too excited about though. Not particularly taken with the new St. Vincent one, probably won't hear it until the album comes out. New Tyler songs sound great, particularly 911. Got the Jay-Z album downloading and about to put on the new (free) Public Enemy album. Not too shabby.

Lorde's Melodrama is a pretty good time.

Anybody want to induldge in a half year list?

1. Los Campesinos! - Sick Scenes
2. Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel
3. Kendrick - DAMN.
4. Sampha - Process
5. Run The Jewels - 3
6. Pumarosa - The Witch
7. Sufjan & other weirdos - Planetarium
8. Wiley - Godfather
9. Ibibio Sound Machine - Uyai
10. Bonobo - Migration

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Lorde's Melodrama is a pretty good time.

Anybody want to induldge in a half year list?

1. Molly Nilsson - Imaginations
2. Kendrik Lamar - DAMN.
3. Perfume Genius - No Shape
4. Kelly Lee Owens - Kelly Lee Owens
5. Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound
6. Lorde - Melodrama

Not sure about the order as I haven't listened to anything as much as I'd normally like, but they're my standouts. Want to revisit the Amber Coffman album some more and check out the new Vince Staples. 

Edited by bocumaroy

Ones I can think of off the top of my head in no particular order... 

Mac Demarco- This Old Dog

The Moonlandingz- Interplanetary Class Classics

The Big Moon- Love In The 4th Dimension

Sleaford Mods- English Tapas 

Sievehead- Worthless Soul 

Bad Breeding- Divide 

Ty Segall- Ty Segall 

At HT my hightlight list looks something like...

DAMN. - Kendrick Lamar

Humanz - Gorillaz

Drunk - Thundercat

The Iceberg - Oddisee

Electric Lines - Joe Goddard

ALL-AMERIKKKAN BADA$$ - Joey Bada$$

Voyager - Moonchild

Ctrl - SZA

H.E.R, Vol. 2 - H.E.R.

Last night I chose the LANY album to listen to as I liked the album cover. Really liking it.

Edited by EighteenSixty7

In the order I think of them:

Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness 
Slowdive - Slowdive 
Los Campesinos! - Sick Scenes
Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
Lorde - Melodrama 
Sufjan & co. - Planetarium
(Sandy) Alex G - Rocket
Perfume Genius - No Shape
Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound